The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

A New Pen From India-Syahi

pens wood newpens fountainpen india woodenpen handcrafted

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#21 Syahiindia

Syahiindia

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2018 - 04:43

Hello Sanay! I just checked out your website and I must say, the pens look gorgeous. Holding them must be a pleasure given how wood has and will always trump plastic or metal as a material any day. The price is way beyond my budget but I assume that's also because you import the wood and the process of crafting them must be a unique and challenging process. Can you perhaps elaborate on it a bit?

Congratulations on creating a beautiful product :)

Hello! Firstly, thank you. Yes, it is especially difficult. To begin with, wood cannot be turned on a CNC lathe(an automated one); it has to be done manually. The slightest crack while turning and the entire blank needs to be disposed. I have to vary the sharpness of the tool, along with lathe parameters such as spindle speed, depending on the wood being used, because each wood is different in terms of hardness, density etc. The wood sourcing process is also a bit elaborate, simply because you cannot use "wet" wood for the pens- you need exotic hardwoods that have been well seasoned, sometimes for over 10 years! I use several grades of sandpaper for sanding, and then soak the wood in a proprietary blend of natural oils, that gives it this matte finish, which, in my view, is warm, and perfectly complements the wood. I do not lacquer my woods, and you will find they do not "shine".

Also, the pens are not kit pens, which means all parts, including the section(ebonite) and threads, rings and tubes(brass) are made in house.

Hope I could shed some light on the process. Please feel free to ask me any other questions you might have :)

-Sanay

Sponsored Content

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pens, wood, newpens, fountainpen, india, woodenpen, handcrafted

Sponsored Content

|