A New Pen From India-Syahi

Syahiindia

Hello Sanay! I just checked out your website and I must say, the pens look gorgeous. Holding them must be a pleasure given how wood has and will always trump plastic or metal as a material any day. The price is way beyond my budget but I assume that's also because you import the wood and the process of crafting them must be a unique and challenging process. Can you perhaps elaborate on it a bit?

Congratulations on creating a beautiful product :)

Hello! Firstly, thank you. Yes, it is especially difficult. To begin with, wood cannot be turned on a CNC lathe(an automated one); it has to be done manually. The slightest crack while turning and the entire blank needs to be disposed. I have to vary the sharpness of the tool, along with lathe parameters such as spindle speed, depending on the wood being used, because each wood is different in terms of hardness, density etc. The wood sourcing process is also a bit elaborate, simply because you cannot use "wet" wood for the pens- you need exotic hardwoods that have been well seasoned, sometimes for over 10 years! I use several grades of sandpaper for sanding, and then soak the wood in a proprietary blend of natural oils, that gives it this matte finish, which, in my view, is warm, and perfectly complements the wood. I do not lacquer my woods, and you will find they do not "shine".

Also, the pens are not kit pens, which means all parts, including the section(ebonite) and threads, rings and tubes(brass) are made in house.

Hope I could shed some light on the process. Please feel free to ask me any other questions you might have :)

-Sanay

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Syahiindia

• jar

• mhguda

• PAKMAN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files