Cack Handed, Lefties And Smudgers Unite

CheapSkate

Call to arms, throw away those biros and tell us what works for you.

For myself slooooooooooooowing down and taking time with a fountain pen, hand above and a finer nib and dry ink help.

Top flip pad and getting rid of left spine or binder help greatly ( wire bound note books are work of the devil)

Currently working to find a worthless pen that dries fast on poor paper ( not a friction pen), for work job sheets pilot varsity medium too much ink- perhaps a varsity fine or cartridge roller ball?

Your suggestions for dirty deeds done cheap are welcomed.

Pen envy optional

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CheapSkate

• pajaro

• torstar

• Studio97

Mirror writing ftw!

Honestly, for journaling and personal notes, I wonder if anyone has tried it? Heck, make all those north-paws go buy a small mirror...

Call to arms, throw away those biros and tell us what works for you.

For myself slooooooooooooowing down and taking time with a fountain pen, hand above and a finer nib and dry ink help.

Top flip pad and getting rid of left spine or binder help greatly ( wire bound note books are work of the devil)

Currently working to find a worthless pen that dries fast on poor paper ( not a friction pen), for work job sheets pilot varsity medium too much ink- perhaps a varsity fine or cartridge roller ball?

Your suggestions for dirty deeds done cheap are welcomed.

Pen envy optional

I bought several wire bound left handed notebooks with the wire on the opposite side. Took a bit of getting used to.

Otherwise, I have been writing over and side handed with fountain pens since 1958. I was ten then.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I bought several wire bound left handed notebooks with the wire on the opposite side. Took a bit of getting used to.

Otherwise, I have been writing over and side handed with fountain pens since 1958. I was ten then.

i start from "the back" page on wired notebooks.

Wired notebooks are right out - too uncomfortable. Thread-bound or stapled notebooks that lie flat. I use an unorthodox hand position that lets me pull lines instead of pushing. I use dry inks and dry-ish pens, and lately Im trying a new style based on Edward Johnstons lovely semi-formal script.

And a rolling blotter is awfully useful.

Edited by sidthecat

Mirror writing ftw!

Honestly, for journaling and personal notes, I wonder if anyone has tried it? Heck, make all those north-paws go buy a small mirror...

Mirror writing ftw!

Interestingly I can read upside down menus etc over the table with little difficulty, I’m not sure I can write right to left and less so mirrored.

Interestingly Work tool dexterity my right hand has better control.

Wired notebooks are right out - too uncomfortable. Thread-bound or stapled notebooks that lie flat. I use an unorthodox hand position that lets me pull lines instead of pushing. I use dry inks and dry-ish pens, and lately I’m trying a new style based on Edward Johnston’s lovely semi-formal script.

At 40 this year ,dot matrix, laser and inkjet printers all offered convenience-however I congratulate you on what I feel has become a lost skill among the population in regards to competency in writing and developing a style.

i start from "the back" page on wired notebooks.

I find the wire seems to keep me writing to the edge, punched paper and a ring binder may well be my choice for next round of “British Standard” Professional certification aka BS ( read between the lines, jobs for boys) this year.

However I need to find a good quality lined paper that suits if anyone has ideas

Foray makes great rollerballs for lefties.

Otherwise I test my fountain pens, paper and until I find a fast drying combo to defeat smearing. I once had some Tanzanite ink that would smear hours after "drying" no matter what paper I used.

Sometimes I use ARC notebooks and easily remove and add pages back in.

Edited by Studio97

I recall an episode of the pen addict podcast where they guys got a letter from a lefty listener who solved the left-hand-fountain-pen problem by teaching himself to write with his right hand.

Seems a little extreme, but extra points for... power problem solving!

I recall an episode of the pen addict podcast where they guys got a letter from a lefty listener who solved the left-hand-fountain-pen problem by teaching himself to write with his right hand.

Seems a little extreme, but extra points for... power problem solving!

If I tried to learn how to write with my right hand at my age, I would end up becoming a newspaper story in the police section.

Cack Handed? What?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

If I tried to learn how to write with my right hand at my age, I would end up becoming a newspaper story in the police section.

Tried it earlier and it doesn’t end well

If anyone looks at the odd way I hold a FP and any one of several odd angles I position my paper so the letters are properly slanted to the right; they would all say , "he must be cack handed, poor thing". 😉

Special is the term now days and everyone is a winner in varying degrees

Old, left handed, and back into fountain pens I see the originator's points. Solutions such as starting well into a page away from the spine are prompting wastefullnmess unless you need to go back and make lots of marginal notes later. Sprng bindings offer some interesting patterns indented in the hand -- but are not ideal.

I would like to see a dot printed page with a sping binding across the top LONG edge -- offering me the full 11 inches (I am in the slightly retarded USA) across the page to write upon. BUT -- at a reasonable price -- hahahaha.

I have been using Indionesian 3 hole binder pages from my DollarGeneral store and have found some Diamine inks that do not bleed through this very inexpensive paper unless I really overload it by using high pressure on Chinese Medium nibs or larger.

Even though drying time is longer, I have also, in black, found Noodler's X-Feather to be great without bleeding unless I put massive drops on it from a burp from an ED pen.

My latest Diamine order came quickly from Cult Pens under their free shipping deal --- which I hope they can continue.

Home made lie-flat bound with coptic stitch journals, fast drying ink and fine nibs generally work for me. But I love Tomoe River paper and the ink sits on that just long enough for me to smudge it. Nothing wire bound has ever been comfortable. I can write below the line at a pinch, right handed badly. I'm always on the lookout for dry inks and the perfect paper.

I started writing with a pencil just as school boards realized the left hand didn't mean you were a child of the devil.

The teacher, in her 20th year of yelling at Grade 3s marveled that I wrote by:

holding my hand firmly in place and stretching out my fingers, then dragging my hand to the next anchor and stretching my fingers.

Edited by torstar