Pulled On A Threaded Cap

egosumcarlo

A friend was examining my Montblanc UNICEF Solitaire LeGrand the other day. This FP had the lacquered engraving. I think its made of metal although it doesnt say on the specifications. Anyway, to my horror, she pulled on the cap (instead of screwing it off) perhaps thinking it was the way to open it. I grabbed it back from her before she could completely pull the cap off. Right now, the cap still fits when I screw it in. But Im worried about whether the threads have been damaged. Does anyone know if Montblanc threads have been stripped because of mishandling like this? Thanks in advance.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• egosumcarlo

• etzbseder

• CS388

• TxHarleyGuy

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you taken to inspect the threads closely through either a loupe or some other form of magnification to see if any stripping/damage may have occurred? That would be my first step. If all looks to be in order (upon closer inspection), and it screws/unscrews to your satisfaction, I wouldn't worry about it. But that's just my (very, very, very novice) opinion, mind you.

Hi thanks for the suggestion to examine the threads more closely. In the absence of a more professional tool, I just used my phone's camera to zoom in. I also took some pics. I am linking them here so I can get your 2nd or 3rd opinion:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjTK-pGDZql/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjTLDHCjcc0/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjTLGJVDdwP/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjTMs9zjNOZ/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjTSlsND8-z/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjTSonIjthf/

Edited by egosumcarlo

Someone yanked my 146's cap right off. Ugh. (Re-living the horror.) That was a couple of years ago. The pen is fine. It was a good reminder to unscrew the cap before handing a pen over.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Rest assured. Threads look fine on both cap and pen.

I'd think it would take an enormous effort to pull off a fully screwed on cap, if it was possible at all?

Enjoy.

(Is there a post missing from this thread?)

(Is there a post missing from this thread?)

More than one. They are in the other copy of this thread.

Multiple instances of one question before waiting for a possible answer to the first are all the rage these days.

X

More than one. They are in the other copy of this thread.

Multiple instances of one question before waiting for a possible answer to the first are all the rage these days.

Ah. Gotcha. Thanks for clarification.

Threads merged.

Posting the same topic in multiple (even two counts) forums is discouraged. You get fragmented results unless a mod merges them like this. Pick one - people will find it.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.