Choosing Vintage Grail

siamackz

Which Vintage MB Grail to buy?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. It?s time to buy a grail pen. But which one?

• MB 138 w/tie clip
    • MB 149 silver rings
    • MB 146 Green Striated
    • MB 124 PL
    • MB 20 Coral Red

I have crossed a significant milestone in my professional life, and I think it is only fair that I buy myself a grail pen to celebrate :) My budget is around $2000, give or take 15% It must be something from the Mesiterstuck line pre-1960s.

Your suggestions are appreciated!

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• siamackz

• zaddick

• kandarp

• chunya

~ siamackz:

Congratulations on your professional achievement!

Whatever pen you acquire, may it bring you much happiness in writing.

Tom K.

~ siamackz:

Congratulations on your professional achievement!

Whatever pen you acquire, may it bring you much happiness in writing.

Tom K.

Thank you Tom!

Get the 149, I just got mine and couldn't be happier.

Vote in the poll here :)

Congratulations. I recollect celebrating when all I afforded was $400, but that was a long time ago. :)

Trouble is, I am unfamiliar with most of those particular models so I have not voted. I will have a look around first.

X

I voted for the 149.... even though I think you deserve all the pens that made their way onto the ballot.

Those are quite different pens from a size perspective and rarity. Without more info about your likes, the poll is more a popularity contest. Why not share why you selected each entry?

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Those are quite different pens from a size perspective and rarity. Without more info about your likes, the poll is more a popularity contest. Why not share why you selected each entry?

Youre right Zaddick, each of these pens is so different in terms of design, size, etc. And thats the problem (a good one I guess). If I continue collecting and restoring pens over my life time then Im sure to acquire all of these one day because they have distinct design histories and legacies and they should all be in my collection.

But heres an explanation of why I chose these models:

- 138: it is a historically definitive design in the MB range. I love the flat top and tie clip

- 149 silver rings: literally the model that started a design that has endured 65+ years

- 124 PL: love the flat top and tie clip + would love a coloured pen in my almost all black collection today. Also, the push knob filling mechanism will be a nice addition to my piston/button filler collection

- 146 striated: Inhave the 146 G and love its dimensions. A coloured variant would be a great companion. Also, I just love the colour

- the 20 Coral: add some colour to the collection. Also, I love the cap top crown with the large star. And the push knob will add diversity to my current collection of just pistons/buttons.

As you can see. I want each for very different reasons. And so its hard to choose.

Vote for what you would choose, for whatever its worth. And if you explain why then that would help me choose even better. Thanks for taking the time!

I voted for the 149.... even though I think you deserve all the pens that made their way onto the ballot.

Ha! If only my wife felt the same way

Thank you for responding siamackz. I voted for the 149 as it is the best fit for my hand and I love the #9 nibs with some spring to them. Also the telescopic piston is a treat. (Also available on the green 146.) I also like the celluloid smell. Finally, you can get one with a synthetic piston head instead of cork for more durability.

I have had most of the other pens or some similar. Here are my thought on them in brief, if it helps:

- green 146. I had one of the best remaining ones around with a fantastic color and a barrel the was not ambered. The material was by far the best to me, even better than the legendary Platinum celluloid in my opinion. The piston was great fun. The pen was to small to use unposted for me although the nib was amazing. I essentially loved in constant fear of celluloid shrinkage and ambering. The pen could deteriorate even unused and I had to keep the cork moist. In the end I worried too much about the pen to justify keeping it.

138 -I had a later model with a celluloid body and cap but a hard rubber piston knob. The size was quite good, and the nib was very flexible. But celluloid eventually shrinks and hard rubber will discolor. The telescopic piston was fun, but the cork had to be kept wet. The pen was hard to find and cost a lot to get restored but it was sweet. I eventually decided I did not use it enough to keep so I traded it. This would be my second choice.

20 in coral - the coral color pens are really great, but too small for me. I had a 35 model and enjoyed it as it was a good size, like a modern 146. I eventually realized I didn't find enough time to use it because it did not give me that special feeling. But the color is awesome.

124 PL - love the celluloid, way too small for me to use. I would.just look at it if I had bought one and then trade/sell it.

What I like may not be your cup of tea, but they all can be amazing to the right person. Only my custom demo silver rings 149 lives with me today. I sold all the others, including 2 refurbished silver rings 149s.

Good luck in the hunt for whatever you decide.

Edited by zaddick

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Thank you for responding siamackz. I voted for the 149 as it is the best fit for my hand and I love the #9 nibs with some spring to them. Also the telescopic piston is a treat. (Also available on the green 146.) I also like the celluloid smell. Finally, you can get one with a synthetic piston head instead of cork for more durability.

I have had most of the other pens or some similar. Here are my thought on them in brief, if it helps:

- green 146. I had one of the best remaining ones around with a fantastic color and a barrel the was not ambered. The material was by far the best to me, even better than the legendary Platinum celluloid in my opinion. The piston was great fun. The pen was to small to use unposted for me although the nib was amazing. I essentially loved in constant fear of celluloid shrinkage and ambering. The pen could deteriorate even unused and I had to keep the cork moist. In the end I worried too much about the pen to justify keeping it.

138 -I had a laterrible model with a celluloid body and cap but a hard rubber piston knob. The size was quite good, and the nib was very flexible. But celluloid eventually shrinks and hard rubber will discolor. The telescopic piston was fun, but the cork had to be kept wet. The pen was hard to find and cost a lot to get restored but it was sweet. I eventually decided I did not use it enough to keep so I traded it. This would be my second choice.

20 in coral - the coral color pens are really great, but too small for me. I had a 35 model and enjoyed it as it was a good size, like a modern 146. I eventually realized I didn't find enough time to use it because it did not give me that special feeling. But the color is awesome.

124 PL - love the celluloid, way too small for me to use. I would.just look at it if I had bought one and then trade/sell it.

What I like may not be your cup of tea, but they all can be amazing to the right person. Only my custom demo silver rings 149 lives with me today. I sold all the others, including 2 refurbished silver rings 149s.

Good luck in the hunt for whatever you decide.

Thank you so much for this thoughtful response! It is precisely perspective like this that will help me make the right decision for myself!

I agree with Zaddick, the 20 is a lady sized pen, the 25 and the 30 are nice sizes (the 30 and 35 are the same size).

I felt the same way as Zaddick on the green striated 146. I voted 138 as I just prefer the flat top to the cigar design.

Having done some reading, I have voted based on what I like plus something I think you should have. My vote went to the 146. I ignored any button filler and preferred the 146 for its colour. You need a little colour.

X

Also, be careful when you are looking for vintage pens on eBay. I didn't know this before I started looking, but a few of the vintage 149s listen on eBay were franken-pens with either the nibs or other parts swapped out from later models.

I almost bought one pen that turned out to have a newer nib. One of our amazing FPN members helped me navigate that minefield.

I agree with Zaddick, the 20 is a lady sized pen, the 25 and the 30 are nice sizes (the 30 and 35 are the same size).

Good to know. The 25 and 30 are out of budget, so I'll take this out of the running.

I felt the same way as Zaddick on the green striated 146. I voted 138 as I just prefer the flat top to the cigar design.

Thanks for sharing!

Having done some reading, I have voted based on what I like plus something I think you should have. My vote went to the 146. I ignored any button filler and preferred the 146 for its colour. You need a little colour.

Haha! My collection is a line of plain-black pens, with only one green marbled 244 in there. It could use some colour for sure.

Also, be careful when you are looking for vintage pens on eBay. I didn't know this before I started looking, but a few of the vintage 149s listen on eBay were franken-pens with either the nibs or other parts swapped out from later models.

I almost bought one pen that turned out to have a newer nib. One of our amazing FPN members helped me navigate that minefield.

Yup absolutely. I have been reading quite a lot about vintage MBs and have a small collection too, so I should be able to detect a period correct 149. Also, this is a purchase that I intend on making in person at a pen show later this year, from one of the more reputed dealers. I want to enjoy the process of shopping for this grail - I don't mind paying 10% or so more for the experience of being able to touch/talk about/test a bunch of grail pens with the money in my pocket to actually buy it at the end of the day :) But, good advice from you. Thanks

I've voted for the 124PL which turns out to be one of the least popular so far. That is a beautiful pen and a pen that I would love to add to my two workhorses, two black war/post war MBs with steel nibs.

I've voted for the 124PL which turns out to be one of the least popular so far. That is a beautiful pen and a pen that I would love to add to my two workhorses, two black war/post war MBs with steel nibs.

I know, Im surprised how come more people arent voting for the PL.

Which are your two MBs with steel nibs?