Help Getting Started

DrMolo

Hi Guys

I've very recently become interested in fountain pens and have decided to relearn cursive again. However there are a few questions which I can't seem to find answers for. The first question being, "Do I need to buy a new pen, or can I use my mothers old shorthand pen?" From the writing I've done it feels alright, but it's the only fountain pen I've ever used so I don't have anything to compare it against.

My second question is, "Due to the amount of space required, is the Palmer method usable in universities and schools?" I'm home schooled so space isn't really an issue at the moment, however from what I've seen desks can be pretty small. I'd hate to spend the time learning to write well only to find I don't have enough room to write later on.

Thirdly, "Is it possible to learn and do well in cursive while still actively using my normal handwriting?" I do most of my school on a Surface Book and unless I use a few books to prop my arm up using it to over my hand is far from ideal. So again is it doable to actively use both types or am I just wasting my time?

And lastly, "What did you guys find as the best practice routine for the Palmer method?" Albeit I'm not very far through the book, but do you guys take a one lesson a day plus the drills and some writing? Or should I take it slower and wait till I'm fairly competent with the drills before moving on?

Thanks ahead of time to those who answer, I appreciate any comments you may have.

Cheers

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Incongruent

• DrMolo

• PaganArcher

• akrohn2010

Top Posters In This Topic

If it feels alright, then it’ll probably work.

Palmer is doable with the baby desks.

It’s possible to have two different handwriting styles.

I just did whatever I felt like doing. If I wanted to write, I would write, and if I found it too sloppy I would do some drills. Granted, my Palmer isn’t very good.

The cursive I learned in second grade, while I can't be 100% certain, strongly resembles Palmer. By this point in my life (at 25), only portions still do as I've tweaked various letters to suit myself. It served me all throughout school. I see no reason why it wouldn't do the same for anyone else.

Pace your study as it works for you.

Thanks for that guys, I'll have a play around and see what works then. And It's good to now know I'm not wasting my time.

Cheers

Thanks for that guys, I'll have a play around and see what works then. And It's good to now know I'm not wasting my time.

Cheers

Certainly not wasting your time! Enjoy re-learning cursive and take it at your own pace. It should be fun, at least in my book. Just knowing cursive these days is a novelty anyway.

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

Cheers

From my cursive fiasco:

It sometimes helps to use a heavier, lighter, larger, smaller, finer, broader, smoother, more feedbacky, etc. pen. If you can try to find what works for you, itll help. For practice, fine nibs are best since you can see any mistakes.

Study the letterforms so you know where to improve.

Keep a ductus (a page with the letters) with you for reference so you can make everyday writing tasks into practice.

Beware the Palmer capital C. It takes some getting used to.

Arm motion. You might not get it at first, which is okay. But try and use it when you can. Especially drills (where theres no point in doing it wrong).

It wont be pretty at first (if it is, either youre a prodigy or cant see the mistakes). Still, save your progress and date things. Frequently.

Dont give up and have fun.

Also something I didnt mention earlier. Its not ideal to use Palmer in cramped or awkward positions, but it is doable.

I'm 60 now, and I believe I probably learned Palmer in grade school. Currently how I write is a bit more... angular, rather than rounded, especially letters like lower case m, n, and r. Mostly when I am writing quickly though.

Once you understand the basics, just write. For many years my handwriting was more of a hybrid than any single cursive style. Some capital letters still look more like block printing capitals than cursive capitals. Including H, O, P, Q, R, S. Sometimes one or two others.

My handwriting improved when I started writing almost exclusively in cursive (such as it is) with refinements. And I wrote a lot. Letters, journals, all kinds of stuff.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain