Omas Paragon Or Not?

pen tom

I have 4 Omas fountain pens. a Milord, a Extra 556 and 2 Paragons. I thought that they were Paragons. They have non-metal sections and I read something that seemed to say that Paragons have metal sections.

The 'paragons' are 5.75 inches, 146 mm long. and piston fill of course.

Any help would be appreciated

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pen tom

• sansenri

• OMASsimo

• Fatalpotato

Omas revamped their paragon a few years back. Newer paragons have metal sections, older ones dont. The new paragons are also much larger (maybe to complete with other oversized flagship pens, like the M1000). Older paragons are similarly sized as modern milord models. Its all confusing.

The change was around 2005 where the Paragon grew in all dimensions (except the nib) and got a metal section.

To make it more confusing a lot of limited edition paragons before they went out of business were the old, smaller size with non-metal sections.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Thank you Mulrich

So I have either an older Paragon (but not too old) or a newer Milord?

I just watched a youtube video by figboot, reviewing a "modern" Omas Milord. He mentioned that the length, capped was 147mm. That is the same as my 'Paragons'.

How does one tell a modern Milord from a "just prior to" modern Paragon. They both have celluloid sections. Are they different lengths?

I just watched a youtube video by figboot, reviewing a "modern" Omas Milord. He mentioned that the length, capped was 147mm. That is the same as my 'Paragons'.

How does one tell a modern Milord from a "just prior to" modern Paragon. They both have celluloid sections. Are they different lengths?

You can also tell the difference by the clip. The older clips were narrower, with a small roller. The new clips are quite a bit larger and wider, with a larger roller. Sorry I don't have a picture handy to show the difference.

I must say I have suffered confusion on this topic for some time.

Is there a website like http://www.sheaffertarga.com on Omas pens which would show pictures of the various Milords and Paragons?

Bobby

Why carry one pen when four will do!

Member of the Calgary Pen Club: <A href="http://www.calgarypenclub.com/" target=_blank>http: //www.calgarypenclub.com/

Although new milord and old Paragon are similar in size the shape and girth are quite different. Also the old model Paragon nibs look very different compared to newer models. New ones are a lot softer and Omas is written vertically while old models have Omas horizontally written. I hope this helps, I can upload a pic of both pens if you think that can help as well.

I took a few photos. The clip is fairly large.

As I said, the length is 5.75 inches 146 mm and the barrel girth is 0.59 inches 15 mm taken just before the cap

Those are the new Milord pens.

Yep. Older Paragons (non-metal section) are about 5.5" long and are also narrower.

The Omas logo on the nib runs vertical , not the usual way that pens display their brand name. It sounds like that is an indication that it is newer, and if it were a new style Paragon, it would have a metal section. And if it were an older Paragon, it would have the "Omas" displayed in the normal manner on the nib.

Therefore, new style Milord.

Yes, dimensions of Milord/Paragon seem to be very confusing because what you mention is pretty much the same as modern Paragon dimensions. Length is 147mm, girth is 15mm. However, besides the metal section, the modern Paragon Arte Italiana Arco has written "THE PARAGON/ITALY" on the cap band. At least mine has.

As is the case most of the time zaddick is right again. :) :) although they look similar the clips are a dead giveaway for modern and old style pens. Older ones have the wheel at bottom while newer ones have it in middle. And I'm pretty sure my resin milord is a little thicker than my older Celluloid paragons but need to check on that. Arco Celluloid is as beautiful as always though :)

Today I received in the mail an actual new style Paragon. I see the differences now. The Paragon has much more girth. It looks very substantial and the clip covers more of the cap than does the Milord.

Thanks to everyone for the education on new style/old style Milords/Paragons

They might be my favorite modern pens

Edited by pen tom

Which kind of Paragon did you get? Just curious because OMAS is out of business and I'm still very fond of them. My modern style Paragon Arco is by far my most treasured pen out of a fairly substantial collection including many other OMAS pens. And this is strange because I mostly favour small and light vintage pens.

Anyway, enjoy your OMAS pens, they are truly exceptional pens.

I got an arco bronze Paragon in rose gold. I now have 4 arco bronze Omas' . I love the look.

I wish that Omas was still in business. That was a great loss to the pen world

Which kind of Paragon did you get? Just curious because OMAS is out of business and I'm still very fond of them. My modern style Paragon Arco is by far my most treasured pen out of a fairly substantial collection including many other OMAS pens. And this is strange because I mostly favour small and light vintage pens.

Anyway, enjoy your OMAS pens, they are truly exceptional pens.

Edited by pen tom

I got an arco bronze Paragon in rose gold. I now have 4 arco bronze Omas' . I love the look.

I wish that Omas was still in business. That was a great loss to the pen world

What a fine collection. Probably the saddest thing in history of fountain pens that Omas had to shut off.(at least Imho) I hope they will one day re open with the whole package