Classique 144 Cap Question

siamackz

I tried my friend's 144 today. The slip on cap fits tight. But it rotates if I turn it once it has been capped fully (like my Lamy Safari). Is this normal? Thanks

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• siamackz

• Chrissy

• CS388

• Cordovian

Top Posters In This Topic

A 144 cap isn't fixed in place like a screw cap would be, so in that respect it's exactly like a Lamy Safari cap and can swivel around and around.

If it's very loose, and falls forward then the internal cap clutch might need replacing. This is a common problem with 144 pens.

I just happen to have my 144 with me today so I can also confirm that when it is capped you can rotate it but it is tight and does not rotate freely.

I just happen to have my 144 with me today so I can also confirm that when it is capped you can rotate it but it is tight and does not rotate freely.

Thanks for sharing!

I believe there are 2 versions of end collar and wonder if that makes any difference?

My 144 has a lot of mileage on it.

So do I Brother, so do I. And I don't swivel like I used to.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found that the cap swivels more freely the more the inner cap wears. The inner cap clutches the trim ring around the nib. It helps if you don't do what I used to do: pull the cap off and push it on repeatedly during meetings. That causes wear on the inner cap. You can usually find inner caps for the 144 on ebay, but I wonder if they are worn and they are probably pulled from pens as the parts sellers disassemble 144s, because they can get more money selling the individual parts.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I have found that the cap swivels more freely the more the inner cap wears. The inner cap clutches the trim ring around the nib. It helps if you don't do what I used to do: pull the cap off and push it on repeatedly during meetings. That causes wear on the inner cap. You can usually find inner caps for the 144 on ebay, but I wonder if they are worn and they are probably pulled from pens as the parts sellers disassemble 144s, because they can get more money selling the individual parts.

Thanks for sharing !