The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Which Cross Is This?

corss mystery red medium

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CarrotBasket

CarrotBasket

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2018 - 04:30

Hi folks!
I bought this pen at the flea market the other day and after disassembling it and cleaning it I still don't know what model it is, it came with the broken off clip but otherwise writes like a charm. The box it came in said "cross Calais" but I doesn't resemble the pictures of that model I found online, maybe an older version?attachicon.gif IMG_20180522_003120.jpg

The nib was originally golden but the paint has mostly come off

Hi folks!
I bought this pen at the flea market the other day and after disassembling it and cleaning it I still don't know what model it is, it came with the broken off clip but otherwise writes like a charm. The box it came in said "cross Calais" but I doesn't resemble the pictures of that model I found online,aybe an older version?IMG_20180522_003120.jpg

The nib was originally golden but the paint has mostly come off

Edited by CarrotBasket, 22 May 2018 - 04:35.

Sponsored Content

#2 Jerome Tarshis

Jerome Tarshis

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 10:40

It looks like a Solo. They were good pens, with smooth nibs. I'm sorry the plating has worn off the nib to the extent it has. Those nibs were, I believe, made by Pilot, and I'd like to think their plating would be fairly durable. I own a Radiance, which is substantially the same pen as the Solo, with some cosmetic differences. Enjoy writing with your find.

#3 CarrotBasket

CarrotBasket

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2018 - 15:16

It looks like a Solo. They were good pens, with smooth nibs. I'm sorry the plating has worn off the nib to the extent it has. Those nibs were, I believe, made by Pilot, and I'd like to think their plating would be fairly durable. I own a Radiance, which is substantially the same pen as the Solo, with some cosmetic differences. Enjoy writing with your find.

That is nice to know! It had dried ink all over the nib so maybe that corroded it, some of the gold finish was evem transfering to the feed. I will look into the solo model :)

#4 Shannon

Shannon

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 15:29

I understand that it's a Solo Classic because of the gold finishes.  pen2paper provided some great information in an earlier thread.

Ink samples to trade:   Blackstone Blue, Chesterfield  Antique Crimson, Chesterfield  Antique Jade, Chesterfield  Antique Orchid, Chesterfield  Antique Raspberry, Chesterfield  Antique Raven, Chesterfield  Antique Walnut, Chesterfield  Antique Yankee, Chesterfield  Night Sapphire, Cross Blue, Diamine Ancient Copper, Diamine Bilberry, Diamine Blue Black, Diamine Damson, Diamine Indigo, Diamine Oxblood, Diamine Purple Pazzazz, Edelstein Amber, J. Herbin Emerald de Chivor, J. Herbin Lie de The, J. Herbin Rouge Hematite, J. Herbin Storm Grey, Levenger Always Greener, Levenger Amethyst, Levenger Blue Bahama, Levenger Cardinal Red, Levenger Cobalt Blue, Levenger Cocoa, Levenger Fireball, Levenger Gemstone Green, Levenger Pinkly, Levenger Raven Black, Levenger Skies of Blue, Levenger Smokey, Montblanc Black  , Montblanc Montblanc for BMW, Noodler's Bay State Blue, Parker Quink, Pilot Blue, Sailor  Souten, Sailor  Waka-Uguisu

Looking for: surprise me!

#5 FountainPenGuru

FountainPenGuru

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2018 - 02:26

I believe that it's the Cross Solo. I own one just like that one which I purchased as NOS from eBay just a few months ago.

#6 cjabbott

cjabbott

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,555 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2018 - 21:39

If you want a different aesthetic, I believe that section will thread right into a Parker Big Red ballpoint barrel. This makes for a fun option, if you want a change or the get a clip back on this.

#7 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,710 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:41

Not sure it's actually a Solo.  It looks fancier than mine, which has black trim (finial, clip, and end cap) and a black clip.

I'm not saying it *isn't* a Solo -- but every other one I've seen has the black trim as well, and I had to research mine before I actually bought it so I would know what converter to get for it.

Hmmm.  I stand corrected.  I did a bit of Googling and came up with this link: https://fountainpenu...n-pen-in-black/ which shows a pen remarkably like this one and describes it as being a Solo (just a fancier one than mine).

Interesting what Jerome Tarshis said about the nibs being made by Pilot.  My pen is definitely marked on the cap -- just above the band and on the opposite side from where the clip is -- that the pen is Japanese made (the clip and the nib just say "Cross").

The nib on mine, BTW, is a nail, but very smooth (I bought the pen from the estate of a friend, and besides the sentimental value, it's a nice writer).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#8 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 2,234 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 01:38

Not sure it's actually a Solo.  It looks fancier than mine, which has black trim (finial, clip, and end cap) and a black clip.

Yours is a Solo Sport, and as Shannon said, the OP's is a Solo Classic.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: corss, mystery, red, medium

Sponsored Content

|