Ebay Live Auction Experiences

Mulrich

Has anyone encountered an eBay live auction? A few weeks back I came across a pen on eBay I had been looking for but it was being sold in a live auction. I patiently waited for the live event, went through the registration hoops, then waited for my targeted pen to come up. I bid aggressively for the pen but was ultimately outbid, but the listing later showed 0 bids (I know I had at least one bid go through).

It looks like the same pen is available again in a live auction event (same seller, etc) so I assume the pen never sold. I really dont get how a live auction works. Does anyone have any pointers? This seems like a good chance to find a good deal (the other items in the live auction are ornate jewelry, so I assume few buyers would want a pen) but I dont know how to work the event.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• james3paris

• Mulrich

• inkstainedruth

• Shannon

Most live auctions are auctions through an auction house (as examples, Skinners, Sotheby's, Christies). I handle it by finding the auction house online and bidding directly through them. I don't mess around with ebay as a middleman. Generally speaking, you will save money going to the auction house--premiums 3-6% less and other additional costs.

I didn't even know that eBay did "live" auctions. How do they work, compared with eBay's normal setup?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The first I heard of them was last month but I couldnt figure them out. This time around eBay let me pre bid (I think) so maybe that means my bid will work.

It is like being at a real auction. You are bidding against other ebay buyers and you are bidding against people on the floor of the auction. The auctioneer has control of all bidding. Like I mentioned above, I would sign up with the actual auction site, if there is one. You will save a lot of money.

This is one of the auctions house They have had live auctions online and ebay simultaneously. I directly bid with their site.

A lot of large and best auction houses have bidding via the internet.

Here is a great site for auctions. https://www.invaluable.com/

The first I heard of them was last month but I couldnt figure them out. This time around eBay let me pre bid (I think) so maybe that means my bid will work.

Good luck...

Another excellent way to get more money from more people who "need" more pens. Oh yes and FASTER too!

I'm not a cynic, I'm an addict!

Happy bidding to all!

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

I tried again today and failed, even with pre-bidding. The pen is still listed as unsold (even on the auctioneers website) so maybe Ill have another chance. I sent the seller an email asking for advice, well see if they respond.

I won't bother with that type of format . Then what about shipping? I'll pass.

I've used eBay live auctions and have had great luck. One thing I found out the hard way -- get preapproved to bid as early as you can. I missed a beautiful pen because I didn't get approved to bid before it hit the block.

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

How many of these auctions are for high end/luxury goods? There seemed to be a lot of jewelry and watches listed for the upcoming auctions in that particular link.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 4 weeks later...

I tried buying the same pen a few times through a few different platforms before finally emailing the auctioneer. It seems like the pen had a minimum reserve price that wasnt disclosed in the description which is why it never sold. They offered to sell it to me outside the auction but for a price well above what similar pens have sold for so I passed. So much for finding a deal.