Blackbird Robin Red

visvamitra

Blackbird Ink is a new brand on the ink market. The ink is made in England by/for Mabie Todd Limited. I'm not sure if they create inks or order them from UK producer.

fpn_1525189194__blackbirdink.jpg

At the launch of Blackbird Ink six colors are available. All the inks are named after birds, which is a nice touch given they were created as a tribute to Swan inks produced years ago. At the moment you can get them in following colors:

• Blackbird Black
  • Kingfisher Blue
  • Mallard Green
  • Robin Red
  • Sand Martin Brown
  • Starling Purple

Packaging

fpn_1526842236__robinred_bottle_2.jpg

The ink comes in 30 ml glass bottle that comes in a red cardboard box. The bottle is small, stable and functional. On the other hand, I'm not sure if you'll be able to fill MB 149 and other huge monsters directly from it.

The ink

fpn_1526842422__robinred_is.jpg

Robin Red is a generic and rather boring red ink. It feels dry and looks bland. Nothing interesting here guys.

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1526842437__robinred_rk.jpg

Color ID

fpn_1526842452__robinred_fb_3.jpg

Color range

fpn_1526842465__robinred_fb_4.jpg

Fabriano, Jinhao x750, medium nib

fpn_1526842315__robinred_fb_1.jpg

fpn_1526842354__robinred_fb_2.jpg

Field Notes, Jinhao x750, medium nib

fpn_1526842508__robinred_fn_1.jpg

fpn_1526842536__robinred_fn_2.jpg

Copy paper, Jinhao x750, medium nib

fpn_1526842291__robinred_4.jpg

fpn_1526842377__robinred_cc_2.jpg

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• visvamitra

• titevm

• penina

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...

Thank you for this review - I have been searching for more information on these inks. Initially I was excited to see a revived Blackbird ink, but wasn't very encouraged when I looked through the colours, all look like rather bland primary shades. Does anyone have any information on the new manufacturers? Their website is rather scarce in this respect.

“The Worldly Hope men set their Hearts upon Turns Ashes - or it prospers; and anon, Like Snow upon the Desert's dusty Face Lighting a little Hour or two--is gone.”

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files