Pilot 74 Quality

VMVarga

Hello, I was planning on getting my first good pilot pen, I've narrowed down pilots collection to a pilot 74. After reading a review on it, I'm now hesitant to buy as the reviewer has said that the material has a very cheap feeling to it, similar to the 78g. I understand that i shouldn't expect the same quality of materials as montblanc but I also don't want to get a 78g with a gold nib. So could any of you confirm or deny the cheapness to the material.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSherbs

• hinky

• LostArk

• mke

Top Posters In This Topic

I can feel no difference in plastic quality or gold plating quality between the custom 74, 742 and 743. By this I mean that the 74 is as well made as the more expensive models in the lineup. The pens are very well made. The 78G is a student pen with screen printed cap rings that wear off. It is lower rung and not the same in anyway as the 74. Hth.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I have both and the materials (their feel) are definitely not the same. The Custom 74 feels more substantial in the hand and less plastic-y than the 78G. The Custom 74 was also my first gold nibbed pen and I love it (I may be biased because I love Pilot). However, compared to the material of my Custom Heritage 912, it does feel a little less robust.

Wait for others to chime in (like I said, I may be biased 😅).

I sense a theme here. And I'm in agreement. I have a Pilot 74 M demonstrator, and I would get another 74 but opaque black or dark blue or dark red with gold trim an an SFM nib.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

Ive owned several 74s, and the trim and resin are just as good as my 742 and 743. No issues with trim wear on the cap rings or the clip.

Don't hesitate, the 74 is a great pen that will serve you well for many years.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

....and I would get another 74 but opaque black .... with gold trim an an SFM nib.

I only own one, and this is it! :thumbup:

74 has a larger grip diameter (the section part) than 78. The two pens feel and write rather different. Personally I cannot come to terms with the 78 because of the smaller grip and there's a curvature that my hand doesn't enjoy.

I very much prefer the 74. But the fine and soft fine nibs are dry and scratchy for me, no luck with them. SFM is the sweetest spot in the entire collection. The soft medium nib grind is not always consistent. BB is real good but not practical for me. Broad has been quite a disappointment though.

I have a couple each of 78Gs and Custom 74s.

78Gs - meh...

Custom 74s - cold dead hands...

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Yup, no perceptible difference in feel between the 743, 742 & 74.

http://www.fototime.com/C6171DD1A2820B2/large.jpg

My Website

Ive owned several 74s, and the trim and resin are just as good as my 742 and 743. No issues with trim wear on the cap rings or the clip.

Okay, now that I think about it, this is basically true when I compare the Custom 74 with my Custom Heritage 912. I guess paying twice the price for it (CH 912) skewed my objectivity a little. 😅 The Custom 74 is a great pen and I would highly recommend it to anyone. Even their non-soft nibs feel soft (compared to Platinum and Sailor) and have a bit of bounce. It's an awesome all around pen; it's reliable, robust, and a great writer. 😊

Now I wanna ink mine up. 😂

• 3 weeks later...

Resin noticeably different and much better on Custom74 than 78g. Comparing is like apples and oranges. My 74 is a demonstrator. I gave my 78g away, my 74 will be with me for life and hope to give to a grandchild.

I have a Custom 912 also. The resin is definitely different btw 74 and 912 but not better on 912, just different. Again, I have a demonstrator 74 and its resin may be different than the standard, or maybe not and maybe the same just without color.

Edited by Maurizio

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

The 74 and 78G are in different worlds. Just look at the weight without cap and there's your answer.

Cheap feeling of the resin ? I have lots of cheap pens made from resin. None of them has this property.

If someone claims one resin being better than the other one. Even this would need some real facts.

Ask the people if they see some degradation of the resin after using it for a long time or if the color changes. This are properties of resins.

Ask the people if they would buy their Custom 74 again. This can give you an indication how well a pen is made.

You can ask, how does this pen feels - but this is then something which is different for each one of its users.

I like the feeling of my Sailors 1911 (called Profit in Japan) more than the feeling of a Custom 74. Different shape.

Custom 74 is a pen made since long times and it is still often sold worldwide - that should tell you that it is a good pen.

It s more important that you choose well the nib. If you go wrong with the nib, the pleasure is gone.