Waterman C/f Photo Thread

PenHero

Hi, Folks!

I didn't see a photo thread on the Waterman C/F so I thought I would start one.

I'm going to start with USA made pens, which date I believe from 1954-1957. I would love to see other early examples of each model level, and of course the later French made pens!

This is a Waterman C/F cartridge fountain pen model 595 in red injection molded plastic c. 1957. It's 5 1/4 inches long with a satin chrome plated cap and chrome plated trim. The cap base is stamped WATERMAN'S on the front and MADE IN U.S.A. on the back. The C/F is the genesis of this now well recognized Waterman clip design. The stainless steel nib is called "Merido Metal" and is stamped 42 and mounted in a contrasting gray section. It was made in Black, Red or Green and sold for $5.95 and the matching pencil and Sapphire Ball Pen sold for $4.00.

spacer.png

Thanks!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• crofton99

• Left FPN

• amberleadavis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, Folks!

This is a Waterman C/F cartridge fountain pen red injection molded plastic c. 1957. It's 5 1/4 inches long with a polished chrome plated cap and gold plated trim. The cap base is stamped WATERMAN'S on the front and MADE IN U.S.A. on the back. The clip shows a lot of plating loss as does the metal end cap on the barrel. The 14 karat gold nib is stamped 14K and mounted in matching color section with the barrel. Note the chalk marks on the barrel showing Medium nib size and the price. The C/F model number usually was the same as the price. It was made in Black, Red or Green and sold for $9.50.

spacer.png

Thanks!

Lovely. Thanks Jim. Already noticed your post on Pentrace on FB too. Nice.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

This is a Waterman C/F originally given to my father by his mother in law. I believe it was made in France. It's got a broad nib (labeled "L" in white paint on the underside of the feed) with a bad case of baby's bottom.

fpn_1526885838__waterman-cf-wbs.jpg

I rotate writing with these .

top- left to right

Green and Gold

Silver and Gold

Black and Gold

Maroon and Gold

post-141146-0-28573300-1526910617_thumb.jpg

Hi, Folks!

This is a Waterman C/F cartridge fountain pen model 1250 in brown injection molded plastic c. 1957. It's 5 1/4 inches long with a polished chrome plated cap, gold plated clip and chrome plated trim. The cap base is stamped WATERMAN'S on the front and MADE IN U.S.A. on the back. The clip shows typical plating loss as does the chrome section trim near the nib, a common problem on C/F pens with trim on the section. The 14 karat gold nib is stamped 14K and mounted in a contrasting black color section. This model was made in Onyx Black, Teal Blue, Red and Brown and sold for $12.50 and the matching pencil or Sapphire Ball Pen sold for $5.00.

spacer.png

Thanks!

I rotate writing with these .

top- left to right

Green and Gold

Silver and Gold

Black and Gold

Maroon and Gold

Great to see them as daily users. Do you have a converter that works?

Hi, Folks!

This is a Waterman C/F cartridge fountain pen in Teal Blue injection molded plastic c. 1957. It's 5 1/2 inches long with a polished chrome plated cap and chrome plated trim. The cap base is stamped WATERMAN'S on the front and MADE IN CANADA. on the back. The clip has the Waterman's logo stamped at the top. The cap top has a black plastic decoration. The semi hooded nib is stainless steel, called "Merido Metal" in Waterman advertisements. This model was made in Onyx Black, Teal Blue, and Red and sold for $2.95 and the set with matching pencil sold for $4.95. Waterman C/F model numbers followed the retail price, so this pen was likely a model 295.

spacer.png

Thanks!

Great to see them as daily users. Do you have a converter that works?

PenH I have one that works. The others, I fill the old cartridges with a syringe. A small labor of love. On a side note, they all write differently, the teal/ green being the smoothest. I swear they have personalities. There I said it out loud.

Ref the Teal model. Is it a C/F or C/C.

While they accept the same cartridges/converter the model title has been questioned before.

Ref the Teal model. Is it a C/F or C/C.

While they accept the same cartridges/converter the model title has been questioned before.

It's a C/F - have a look at this ad - it's number 5.

https://books.google.com/books?id=xlUEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA85&dq=waterman+c/f+pen&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj3j_qvxpnbAhXPz1MKHRa2AtgQ6AEIKTAA#v=onepage&q=waterman%20c%2Ff%20pen&f=false

Interesting, but the advert states the Merido is #595 hence $5.95 and includes a matching pencil. Then $9.95 with Sapphire ball point.

A lot of smokin' drinkin' and shavin' adds in that mag.

Interesting, but the advert states the Merido is #595 hence $5.95 and includes a matching pencil. Then $9.95 with Sapphire ball point.

A lot of smokin' drinkin' and shavin' adds in that mag.

Which pen are you asking about? The very first pen in this thread is a 595, #4 in the advert. The Teal pen above is the pen referred to in the advert as #5 Waterman's C/F Gift Set. Both pens have "Merido Metal" nibs, though they are very different in design.

I was referring to the Teal. The pictures are not great when maginified...but maybe my eyesight as well.

What is Merido Metal. Googling brings up very little.

I was referring to the Teal. The pictures are not great when maginified...but maybe my eyesight as well.

What is Merido Metal. Googling brings up very little.

Merido Metal is a fancy marketing name for stainless steel. It's not a technical or scientific name.

English 9ct gold Waterman CF with an amazingly smooth B nib. The nib was bent backwards as if It was dropped nib first on the floor, but thankfully Richard Bender worked on it for me at the LI Pen show. It now writes like a dream.

English 9ct gold Waterman CF with an amazingly smooth B nib. The nib was bent backwards as if It was dropped nib first on the floor, but thankfully Richard Bender worked on it for me at the LI Pen show. It now writes like a dream.

Wow! Very nice!

• 3 months later...

I'm coming in a little late in the game on this one, but thought i would add some history (as i know it) to the Waterman CC vs CF.

Jim is correct that the 1957 Life mag shows a "5. Waterman C/F Gift Set" that somewhat matches the green pen in the photo above. However there are a few minor differences. First the green pen has a clip with an imprint of a W in a circle and is "indented" (at least that is what I call it). Second, the green pen has a plastic black tassie. This pen has been called the #298, or CC 298, or Waterman-Bic 298. And it was commonly sold as a set (with a mech pencil) called the "Winner" set.

The pen in the Life Mag ad has a chrome clip with a Waterman imprint (similar to clips found on the early 50's Crusader and Corinth) and a "globe" tassie (see two examples at far in the second figure below). Future ads refer to this model as the CC 295. And I have a few with "C\C 295" chalk marks.

The attributes in common for the 298 and 295 are: the "hooded" C/C nib, round barrel end, a wide clutch ring, and a stainless "Merido Metal" nib (see photos below with the red arrows). A great photo of all the parts that make up a C/C can be seen at http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/?page_id=3328. You can compare this to Dirck's parts photo for a C/F at http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/?page_id=3335

I think some confusion comes from that fact that Waterman started marketing these in the late 50's right around the time they got sold and Waterman-Bic continued to sell them for a few more years. There are also a large variety of clips on these pens. See the photo below of 6 versions that I am aware of. I also have an oddball made in Canada that is a lever filler.

I refer to all of these pens as the Waterman C\C.

I also note that Scripto sold a version of the C/C that was identical except for having a Scripto imprint on the clip (last clip on the right in the photo).

Lastly, to add some more confusion, there is a model of the C/C that comes with a gold (electroplated?) clip and I have versions of this pen with 'C/C 295" or "C/C 395" chalk marks. The 395 could simply be later version that reflected a price increase.

As normal I may have some of these facts wrong - if so please let me know!

Kevin

fpn_1536105708__cc_pen_key_marks_small.j

fpn_1536105680__cc_pen_clips_small.jpg

I'm coming in a little late in the game on this one, but thought i would add some history (as i know it) to the Waterman CC vs CF.

Jim is correct that the 1957 Life mag shows a "5. Waterman C/F Gift Set" that somewhat matches the green pen in the photo above. However there are a few minor differences. First the green pen has a clip with an imprint of a W in a circle and is "indented" (at least that is what I call it). Second, the green pen has a plastic black tassie. This pen has been called the #298, or CC 298, or Waterman-Bic 298. And it was commonly sold as a set (with a mech pencil) called the "Winner" set.

The pen in the Life Mag ad has a chrome clip with a Waterman imprint (similar to clips found on the early 50's Crusader and Corinth) and a "globe" tassie (see two examples at far in the second figure below). Future ads refer to this model as the CC 295. And I have a few with "C\C 295" chalk marks.

The attributes in common for the 298 and 295 are: the "hooded" C/C nib, round barrel end, a wide clutch ring, and a stainless "Merido Metal" nib (see photos below with the red arrows). A great photo of all the parts that make up a C/C can be seen at http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/?page_id=3328. You can compare this to Dirck's parts photo for a C/F at http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/?page_id=3335

I think some confusion comes from that fact that Waterman started marketing these in the late 50's right around the time they got sold and Waterman-Bic continued to sell them for a few more years. There are also a large variety of clips on these pens. See the photo below of 6 versions that I am aware of. I also have an oddball made in Canada that is a lever filler.

I refer to all of these pens as the Waterman C\C.

I also note that Scripto sold a version of the C/C that was identical except for having a Scripto imprint on the clip (last clip on the right in the photo).

Lastly, to add some more confusion, there is a model of the C/C that comes with a gold (electroplated?) clip and I have versions of this pen with 'C/C 295" or "C/C 395" chalk marks. The 395 could simply be later version that reflected a price increase.

As normal I may have some of these facts wrong - if so please let me know!

Kevin

Very helpful! Thanks!