A Pen I’M Going To Buy

beast786

Hi all

Fountain pen newbie here. Ive always loved fountain pens since I was a child and I used to see my mother use her pens. She had three and they were beauts. One was a Waterman one a parker and the other a Schaefer. It was the nibs that I found so cool.

Fastforward many many years and Im about to buy my first fountain pen. I discovered the Boheme about 10 or so years ago and thought the retracting mechanism was very clever and decided on buying myself one. Could never bring myself to pay the 300-400 that they cost. I promised myself I would when I achieved something specific. I achieved that thing 6 months ago and about 3 months ago discovered the MB 149. The shape of that thing is wonderful. Tried one new in a shop and it was the smoothest thing even. Started looking for a 149 instead of a boheme.

I have discovered one now that is priced right for me.

Now I have been looking at a lot of posts about fakes and serial numbers and markings etc. This pen that I just came back from looking at is as follows:

-It has W Germany marked on the ring where the pocket clip is.

-I couldnt find a serial number anywhere.

-I couldnt see the tix © mark anywhere.

-I tried the resin test with a bright torch inside of the lid and it was a nice DARK red colour.

-The nib writes like what I think is a M going on a B. Too broad for an M based on the schoolboy parker M nibs I used ages ago.

-Two tone nib.

-Its a piston filler

I have 3 questions.

1)The lack of the tix Mark worries me. Should it?

2)Based on the lack of serial number and the W Germany mark, I guess its an older model. Is there anything about the older models that I should worry about? Should I try to get one of the newer post 1991 models instead?

3)It has these slight and light hairline scratches here and there just as any pen that old that was actually used would have. Is there a way to repolish/buff the body?

4) ok ok, I thought of a fourth question. Im a leftie but not an overwriter( I think thats what the hand over the text writing style is called). The original user was a rightie. Is this a problem for the nib?

Ive attached a picture of the nib.

I know its a long post for a first post but I am very keen and would hate to have my heart broken if I get a bad pen as my first.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your input guys!

post-143067-0-13044500-1526665828_thumb.jpeg

post-143067-0-59157300-1526665893_thumb.jpeg

post-143067-0-21321500-1526665933_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• beast786

• meiers

• Chrissy

• zaddick

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's real. They dont make a fake piston filler yet.

I dont think you being left handed will be an issue.

I've not heard of any specific defects with this model.

Try out the pinned montblanc 149 dating thread too.

Welcome.

Also, the engraving is PIX. You should not be concerned if that's not present since this is the real deal.

Perfectly legit. It is good to buy one with a little bit of wear and tear on it already, that way you won’t panic when the pen picks up – inevitably – a slight scratch or blemish at sometime in the future.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

It's real. They dont make a fake piston filler yet.

I dont think you being left handed will be an issue.

I've not heard of any specific defects with this model.

Try out the pinned montblanc 149 dating thread too.

Welcome.

I’ll check out the pinned thread. Good shout!

Also, the engraving is PIX. You should not be concerned if that's not present since this is the real deal.

Merci:)

Perfectly legit. It is good to buy one with a little bit of wear and tear on it already, that way you wont panic when the pen picks up inevitably a slight scratch or blemish at sometime in the future.

Yeah Ive been feeling that way about things recently. Im way too careful with my camera. So I bought the same model thats really scratched up and brasses and Im

Much happier ;)

Hi again guys. I checked the pinned dating 149 thread.

I guess, based on the table that it must have plastic threads. Where are these threads on the pen?

Hi again guys. I checked the pinned dating 149 thread.

I guess, based on the table that it must have plastic threads. Where are these threads on the pen?

It is talking about the threads under the piston knob. Yours are made of brass. That means the piston assembly may have been replaced by MB service. Edited by meiers

I am looking forward to seeing a writing sample.

My suggestion: use PayPal. They will protect you if there is a problem.

Edited by meiers

It's probably a 1988-1990 pen because of the West Germany mark, and that fits in with the brass piston threads and lack of a serial number. They used up the clips that they had even though they had W.Germany on them, and only started adding serial numbers in 1991.

No concerns about authenticity at all. Its an authentic 149. Exactly the same era as my 149 that had W.Germany on it's clip until it had to have a new cap.

It's probably a 1988-1990 pen because of the West Germany mark, and that fits in with the brass piston threads and lack of a serial number. They used up the clips that they had even though they had W.Germany on them, and only started adding serial numbers in 1991.

No concerns about authenticity at all. Its an authentic 149. Exactly the same era as my 149 that had W.Germany on it's clip until it had to have a new cap.

Agreed. And the nib is a B based on the shape in the photos.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

You do not have a picture of the feed up. I think it as likely to be a 1990 model as having had the piston mechanism replaced. They are pretty reliable. My 149 is the same as yours (give or take seeing the feed - mine is split ebonite). I think 1990 a reliable dating for mine.

W-Germany still appears as late as 1991, if serial marking started only then. I have a serialised 146 with W-Germany, brass threads, and an early plastic feed so it seems 1991 is the most likely year it was made.

X

Nice pen!

I'd say the nib is a B, from the shape of the tipping. (Personally, I think B is one of Montblanc's best nib grinds.)

Go for it!

Good luck.

Agreed. And the nib is a B based on the shape in the photos.

Yes it could be a B nib. Or it could be slightly flattened M nib tipping as it looks like it's been removed from the collar and replaced. There is more nib showing than there usually is.

Hello beast,

Beautiful fountain pen! I agree with Chrissy's, zaddick's, Joe's, crazy's, praxim's, & Meier's observations. Hope I didn't ignore anyone.

If all components are original and have not been replaced by MB Service, your pen comes from a very specific and identifiable time period. The 149 with brass piston threads and a two-tone 14K nib (and split ebonite feed) was sold in the US in late 1990-1991. By early 1992, the two-tone 18K nib and first-generation plastic feed appeared. I was buying quite a few new 149s in those days, and kept reasonable records about various components. That was also the time when Costco (known as Price Club then) was just about giving the things away.

Your pen appears to be in great condition. Any superficial barrel & cap scuffs or tiny cracks will have no impact on the pen's performance. By the way, I am also a leftie and a complete "overwriter." For the past 20 plus years, I have bought only used 149s, unless a new one appeared at a truly great price. Have never had any difficulty with nib performance from any used 149s which were likely owned by right handed writers.

Enjoy your great new fountain pen and your weekend.

Best wishes,

Barry

Edited by Barry Gabay

Thanks very much for all the comments and feedback guys.

Unfortunately, Im actually quite heartbroken to say that I didnt get the pen.

I had found it on the local eBay/bidding site alternative where I live and actually went to meet the lady that owned it. Apparently it belonged to her late husband and it was a beaut. We actually agreed on a good price and shook on it. I said I needed 24hours just to come to this forum and write to you guys - obviously, these pens arent ever cheap so wanted to make sure about the purchase. She agreed.

The next day when I wrote to her telling her Id buy it and trying to arrange a time she said she couldnt unlist it. I had to go through the bidding process. Fair enough.

Yesterday was the last day and there was a real bidding war going on between two people so instead of joining in, I thought Id wait till the end and put my max bid in. Figured if their bidding had already surpassed mine by the time I came to make it then so be it. By the time it was nearly the end, their bids hadnt reached anywhere near what the lady and I agreed. I felt pleased. Went to put my bid in which was the amount the lady and I agreed. Suddenly it wouldnt accept my bid because somehow I was suddenly logged out... ok quickly log back in. It wont let me log in. Keep trying while its counting down from 3 minutes. Still no luck. Try on your phone. Nothing! Back to pc. Nothing. Phone nothing. Eventually it ends. The final bid which hadnt changed in about half a day was an embarrassingly low price. Barely $120. I couldnt believe it! I kept on trying to log in in disbelief hoping maybe it did log me in and had accepted my bid.

Five minutes later, the website logged me in. Obviously my bid didnt go through.

I wrote to the lady and told her that it wasnt me and apologised about how little she got. She was actually very upset about it.

Overall a pretty crappy story.

There are many 149s available on the seconds market and after checking, all but one that I came across seem (short of me personally doing the checks I asked them to do) genuine. The sad thing is, unlike this pen (which I did try when I visited the sellers place and you confirmed here too) the others all all mediums while this was a B. I wanted a b. And I could actually afford this one. She wanted $310. Thats literally what I asked her. I didnt want to low ball her and I said, what would you like to get for it? She said Id be happy that and I said yes Im happy to pay you that. Damn...

Lol a day later and it still bothers me.

Edited by beast786

Not that this helps right now, but there are plenty more out there. Patience is your friend. The nice thing about a 149 or a 146 is there are so many out there that one will find its way to your collection.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!