Franklin Christoph Model 45 Confetti

Ayami_109

New pen day, yay! Here are my thoughts on the Franklin Christoph Model 45 in Confetti.

post-100019-0-27948900-1526621242_thumb.jpg

I had my eye on this model for some time, but was waiting for a more vintage looking material to come out - Confetti fit the bill perfectly. There's a real depth to the material under sunlight. It shimmers with flakes of purply pink, blue and golden yellow.

It's a pocket size pen so cartridges only. Clipless. It's a tad longer than a Kaweco Sport, but otherwise quite comparable. I can comfortably write with the FC45 without needing to post. The Bexley Pocket Pro is another pen that would be comparable in size.

I chose the SIG (stub italic gradient) nib in fine. Writes smoothly and is more interesting to use than a regular F nib. Stubby whilst offering a finer line, so perfect for everyday writing with a bit of flair.

International shipping from USA to AUS was amazing and FC offers it for free when you buy pens. Only three days after I got my shipping notification, a nice FedEX employee delivered it to my door.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ayami_109

• JonSzanto

• ENewton

• TheDutchGuy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lovely little pen. I picked up mine (identical) in 2017 at the LA Pen Show when it was still a prototype color. A couple points: it's small so only the short carts work, but like many FC pens it is easy to make into an ED. Also, if you are concerned about this little guy rolling off the desk, note that the clips for the Kaweco Sport fit perfectly - slide it on carefully and you won't get a scratch. I picked the raw bronze; I'm sorry to say I don't have a recent photo, because once it attains a patina it is a perfect match for the magenta and browns in the acrylic, but here's a photo just after I got the clip. Enjoy your pen!

HAUjFfh.jpg

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Nice! Would be interesting to see a writing sample of that nib.

Here's a writing sample. The line variation is very subtle when writing, but is apparent when drawing only horizonal and vertical lines.

post-100019-0-35562800-1526634130_thumb.jpg

Lovely little pen. I picked up mine (identical) in 2017 at the LA Pen Show when it was still a prototype color. A couple points: it's small so only the short carts work, but like many FC pens it is easy to make into an ED. Also, if you are concerned about this little guy rolling off the desk, note that the clips for the Kaweco Sport fit perfectly - slide it on carefully and you won't get a scratch. I picked the raw bronze; I'm sorry to say I don't have a recent photo, because once it attains a patina it is a perfect match for the magenta and browns in the acrylic, but here's a photo just after I got the clip. Enjoy your pen!

HAUjFfh.jpg

Thanks for the tips! Particularly good to know that the clip for the Kaweco Sport will fit because I have a few! I think the gold clip may look good, too!

I am super happy FC chose to make the Confetti as part of their regular lineup because it's my favourite version of the Model 45 so far. I think patterns make pens more interesting.

EDIT: I tried putting the gold clip on. I think this combo looks good, but prefer clipless to focus the attention on the material (less distraction). Nonetheless I agree it's good to prevent the pen from rolling. It was a bit of a tight push to get it on, but I suppose it can also be said it's a snug fit!

post-100019-0-26163400-1526635183_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ayami_109

Here's a writing sample. The line variation is very subtle when writing, but is apparent when drawing only horizonal and vertical lines.

attachicon.gif PhotoGrid_1526634041230.jpg

I have F-Chr pens with SIG nibs in F, M and B - it's the same with all of them, smooth writing, subtle differences, you can't really see the difference until you use a regular nib of a similar size along side them - unless you use a dry ink - I've Diamine Ancient Copper in a 45 with a medium SIG and the difference in lines is more pronounced with that.

Well-done on the clip. The thing I like about the raw brass one is not just that it has patina'd, which causes it to not stick out as much visually, but it is also a different style - very remeniscent of much older clip designs. But this is all individual taste, anyway. Enjoy that pen!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Well-done on the clip. The thing I like about the raw brass one is not just that it has patina'd, which causes it to not stick out as much visually, but it is also a different style - very remeniscent of much older clip designs. But this is all individual taste, anyway. Enjoy that pen!

I agree your clip suits the pen well. I have that clip in silver only. If you get a chance it'd be nice to see your pen with the patina'd clip.

I have F-Chr pens with SIG nibs in F, M and B - it's the same with all of them, smooth writing, subtle differences, you can't really see the difference until you use a regular nib of a similar size along side them - unless you use a dry ink - I've Diamine Ancient Copper in a 45 with a medium SIG and the difference in lines is more pronounced with that.

Good to hear from someone who has all nib sizes. I was wondering if the variation would be more pronounced with other sizes. I will test with other inks and papers to see if it makes an obvious difference.

I agree your clip suits the pen well. I have that clip in silver only. If you get a chance it'd be nice to see your pen with the patina'd clip.

Yeah, I've been meaning to shoot a new one. Let's see how much sun we get today...

~ Benjamin Franklin

It is a wonderful pen. I have the Confetti, Amber, Cherry and Ghost. I have one in my pocket at all times. Each has a different nib. I would be lost with out a 45! They are a little small for long writing sessions but I find for everything else they are wonderful. It is a very comfortable pen to write with.

Can anyone comment on how this pen compares in size to a Duofold Junior?

How could you possibly expect us to do that? :D (Please note the incorrect nib in the DuoJr - just a placeholder in a parts pen)

EDw3pgS.jpg

Cy88X4r.jpg

~ Benjamin Franklin