Diff Between 45 And 51 Parkers?

Lamyrada

I am lazy, I am... so I have looked briefly at photos of both and see no big difference.

What is the allure of the 51?

How much should I expect to pay for a 51?

Pros and cons of each"?

-- BTW, I have a 45 --

Edited by Lamyrada

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• Lamyrada

• mitto

• Erik Dalton

Compared to a Parker 51 the Parker 45:

1) is a newer design

2) was sold as a less expensive pen

3) has a nib that is more visible

4) designed to accept a cartridge or a converter

5) has easily changed nibs

6) a smaller diameter barrel

7) sells for less on the used market

The P51 was available in both a vacumatic and a aeromatic version. IMHO the aeromatics are a better bet when buying on the used market as the filling system is less likely to need repair.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

That is Aerometric, not aeromatic. Since the 45s are so much better, why don't you just stick with them? You would have to pay at least sixty to seventy dollars for a 51, while you can get a 45 for under thirty dollars. Back in 1970 I paid twenty-five dollars for a 51 pen and pencil set. A week later I bought a steel 45 for about twelve dollars. Gives you some idea of the original retail price.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Apples & Oranges

I have To disagree. Thank you guys, I think I will stick to the 45. It has the best need-no-repair system and I think price and the sturdiness makes it worry-free to carry anywhere. I love my 45 and I may get another. Thanks again. The comparison was well made, to the points.

Apples & Oranges

So? Of course they are. If you are making a choice, however, they can be compared.

Actually, they are more like relatives, more like apples and crab apples.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

I have To disagree. Thank you guys, I think I will stick to the 45. It has the best need-no-repair system and I think price and the sturdiness makes it worry-free to carry anywhere. I love my 45 and I may get another. Thanks again. The comparison was well made, to the points.

Both are good pens. I will have to pull a P45 out and put it in my daily user rotation since I sold a P75 I was using.

I carry 4 pens with me each day a P51, Jotter pen & pencil & a P45 now. [ Just have to find where I have them stored.]

Very different, but both good pens. I have two 51's (a 48 Demi Vac & a 51 Special) and about six 45's including a desk set.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

They are completely different pens from different eras of manufacture. Parker 51 has what would have to be considered as an older style of filling system that isn't really comparable to the easier and updated C/C filling system of the 45.

Nor is the 51 so easily disassembled for cleaning.

Ask yourself: Do you like to use lot's of different coloured inks in your pens or do you only use one?

The 45 will be better if you change ink colours regularly as it's easier to clean out.

As far as apples and oranges go, yes these two pens differ quite considerably. They were both made by Parker though, and they both have arrow clips.

No difference?

The 45 and the 51 are anything but similar, at least visually.

I tried a 51 briefly, back in the 80's and liked it, but its aesthetics, with a nib all but hidden in the section, aren't my cup of tea. Seeing the nib and watching the words flow from it is important to me.

I have a 45 that I inherited from my dad, with a gold nib, and a cheapie one I picked up at Staples in the 90's and like them both a lot. They write great, and now that I'm writing about them, I feel like inking and using one of them. The nib of the 45 is probably the stiffest nib I've ever used, but I like it nonetheless.

I also recall that neither of my 45's ever failed me - always started right away, and never skipped.

alex

---------------------------------------------------------

We use our phones more than our pens.....

and the world is a worse place for it. - markh

The 45 was made with cheap plastic that shrank and discolored.

I have never bought a 45 that was NIB, but none that I ever owned/tried wrote well, they had poor ink flow, skipped, and/or had rough nibs.

I'd buy a Lamy Safari any day over a 45.

I agree with those that opined in favor of the 45. These opinions have solidified my gut feelings. So my next question is basically, why does the 51 cost more? Are there few of them in good condition or the original higher price carries over to current days?

I am going to take out my 45, and look for another one with a different nib... Mostly I find they have FINE nibs. Are there other types of nibs to be found on the 45?

I will use it this weekend and next week, because I want to feel the decade past. I find it a very useful pen, no complications with it, which leaves many modern pens back at the starting point on the race. In addition, it is good looking. No need to buy a 51 expecting a better feel.

I want to add: The nib never skips, It starts always on first time, and it's also smooth.

Edited by Lamyrada

I agree with those that opined in favor of the 45. These opinions have solidified my gut feelings. So my next question is basically, why does the 51 cost more? Are there few of them in good condition or the original higher price carries over to current days?

I am going to take out my 45, and look for another one with a different nib... Mostly I find they have FINE nibs. Are there other types of nibs to be found on the 45?

I will use it this weekend and next week, because I want to feel the decade past. I find it a very useful pen, no complications with it, which leaves many modern pens back at the starting point on the race. In addition, it is good looking. No need to buy a 51 expecting a better feel.

I want to add: The nib never skips, It starts always on first time, and it's also smooth.

Look at some recent threads on Parker 45 nibs. There are a variety. I usually found mediums, fines being less common. Then there are stubs and obliques and others. This could make for a very interesting collection. I think such a variety of nibs in a 51 would be more difficult to find and much more expensive to buy. I like the 51s for my own reasons, but the 45s I have are good writers, even though they had their breaking in issues.

A few decades ago the situation with 51s was different. They were less costly, and various nibs were easier to get. Now the 45 is more or less in that position, but you can see the nibs becoming harder to find. Even the 45s are going up in price. I think passing on the 51s and jumping into the 45 market would be more rewarding these days. Good luck and good hunting.

Edited by pajaro

For a writer, I would buy a Safari as well. As a collectible the 45 is interesting. The shrinking plastic, particularly on the section, is an important issue. I wonder if mine will crack at some time after shrinking enough. The 51s don't do that. So, that stands in favor of the 51: they age better. You wouldn't want a collection to deteriorate to the point of a big loss in value.

Then, I have a small collection of 51s that is enough for me, and I don't feel the drive to collect 45s. Or 51s anymore either. If you are starting out and don't already have a 51 investment, you have an interesting choice. A 51 collection will take longer to assemble, but it offers the prospect of perhaps more sustained seeking and enjoyment.

I may be wrong but it is my belief that the deforming of the nib section is caused by the "fingers" of the cap pressing against the plastic over long periods of storage. I always store my uninked P45's with the cap partially off to eliminate this. I have never seen a NOS section with any deformation.

....The shrinking plastic, particularly on the section, is an important issue. I wonder if mine will crack at some time after shrinking enough. .......

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I may be wrong but it is my belief that the deforming of the nib section is caused by the "fingers" of the cap pressing against the plastic over long periods of storage. I always store my uninked P45's with the cap partially off to eliminate this. I have never seen a NOS section with any deformation.

Thanks, that is important to know. I have heard before of storing the pen with the cap partly off. I had forgotten about it until this post reminded me,

No difference?

The 45 and the 51 are anything but similar, at least visually.

I tried a 51 briefly, back in the 80's and liked it, but its aesthetics, with a nib all but hidden in the section, aren't my cup of tea. Seeing the nib and watching the words flow from it is important to me.

I have a 45 that I inherited from my dad, with a gold nib, and a cheapie one I picked up at Staples in the 90's and like them both a lot. They write great, and now that I'm writing about them, I feel like inking and using one of them. The nib of the 45 is probably the stiffest nib I've ever used, but I like it nonetheless.

I also recall that neither of my 45's ever failed me - always started right away, and never skipped.

alex

Soft springy gold nibs are often found on English P45s.

Khan M. Ilyas

Thanks, that's good to know. :) I've also been advised that it's only caused by metal caps as plastic ones don't have the same clutch.

For a writer, I would buy a Safari as well. As a collectible the 45 is interesting. The shrinking plastic, particularly on the section, is an important issue. I wonder if mine will crack at some time after shrinking enough. The 51s don't do that. So, that stands in favor of the 51: they age better. You wouldn't want a collection to deteriorate to the point of a big loss in value.

Then, I have a small collection of 51s that is enough for me, and I don't feel the drive to collect 45s. Or 51s anymore either. If you are starting out and don't already have a 51 investment, you have an interesting choice. A 51 collection will take longer to assemble, but it offers the prospect of perhaps more sustained seeking and enjoyment.

I agree with has been said above. However, the P45 section would not break as a result of the shrinkage caused by the clutch fingers.

The Plastic body English production (Arrow) 45s do not have the fingers clutch in the caps. So no shrinkage on those 45s.

I was able a couple years ago to grab a few dozen NOS P45 sections in almost all colors (along with some other Parker parts) from an elderly pen repair person in a remote city bordering Afghanistan (called Bannu) who was going to close his shop due to ill health. So now all my 45s sections are like new.

Currently, the 51, however, is my obsession. It gives me immense pleasure to collect and restore 51s. Last night I received a lot of nine 51s. Right now these are undergoing the cleaning process. Next would be restoration of those that need be restored.

Khan M. Ilyas

The P45 plastic has a cheap, junky feel. The only P45 I own and use is a flighter with an all metal body. Those plastic extenders on the barrel end add extra junkiness to the design.

The P51 plastic and metal cap has a much more substantial feel. These ARE apples and oranges.

Why use either when the feel of the P75 outdoes both designs.....