The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Herbin Perle Encres Dry Out?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 markh

markh

Shaded Writing

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:32

I tried Herbin Perle Des Encres (black) after not using it for quite a while. Used in a modern semi flex (titanium) nib.

While the ink worked very well, after a few days it was dried out on the nib. Is this a common problem with this ink??

thnx,

Sponsored Content

#2 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:17

Depends on the pen. If it has a slip on cap, that isn't really tight and lets air in, then many inks will dry out on the nib, and they will dry out ink in cartridges and converters too.

#3 markh

markh

Shaded Writing

• Member - Gold

• 963 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 17:35

I guess I should have been more exact. The question is does Herbin black dry out faster than other inks??

More details...

I have a Faggionato pen with a soft titanium nib that I'm trying to "debug" - flow problems with a flex nib and a plastic feed. I've been trying different inks.

One suggestion was to try Herbin ink - and in fact it worked great for a few days. But then it completely dried on the nib, and would have required a water rinse to start. Other inks didn't do this.

So the question  (as I try to make this pen the best it can be) is this likely just the way Herbin ink behaves? Do people who use this ink note a problem???

Herbin uses a different coloring formulation (vegetal colors, instead of aniline dyes). Maybe this accounts for the difference??

#4 hinky

hinky

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:02

If you're talking about Perle Noire, I'd have to say that I've never had problems with it. I have 11 colors of the Perle Encres and had no issues with any of them (although they do vary in wetness and lubrication). I did have dry out issues with an old stock of Perle Noire cartridges, but I've never had issues with the bottled ink.

As Chrissy said, it depends on the pen. Not all feeds (and inks) are created equal. For example, Diamine ink flows down the feed of my Pilot Metropolitan when stored vertically; I have to prime the feed if it's been left vertical too long...this doesn't happen when using Noodler's inks.

I'm not sure if the formulation or ingredients affect flow...I suck at chemistry 😅

Maybe your pen doesn't pair well with Perle Noire. I'd suggest getting samples of other inks to find a good match. Maybe Aurora Black will help solve the flow issues (it's supposedly wet flowing).

Hope that helps 😊

#5 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:20

I guess I should have been more exact. The question is does Herbin black dry out faster than other inks??

No, not in my experience with using the ink

#6 Noihvo

Noihvo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,251 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:04

fpn_1526803467__img_3923.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles