The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

I Need A Quick Drying Purple Ink

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 usnavydoc

usnavydoc

Pen Enthusiast

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:49

Being a lefty is a curse. If the ink doesnt dry fast enough then its smudge lol. Does anyone have a recommendation on a vibrant purple ink that dries quick? Thanks in advance.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 cattar

cattar

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:04

I use sailor shigure.
Paper might make a difference for you, the most coated paper I use is leuchturm. Tomoe, rhodia take too long to dry.
I prefer being a lefty.

#3 usnavydoc

usnavydoc

Pen Enthusiast

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:06

https://www.jetpens....pen-inks/pt/896

Found this. Very interesting.

#4 cattar

cattar

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 870 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:10

You can also try adding 10-20% water to each fill. Water will make the ink write drier and dry quicker.

Edited by cattar, 17 May 2018 - 05:11.

#5 Torrilin

Torrilin

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:28

If you don’t want scented, Violette Penseé is very good, about on par with Herbin’s scented violet. I haven’t tried Pelikan Violet yet, but Lamy Violet is only available in cartridges and it’s really good and very close in look to Violette Penseé.

I don’t always agree with Jetpens’ tests. Nothing wrong with their methodology just the papers I choose tend to be more absorbent than Rhodia. Rhodia is about the opposite of lefty friendly in my book. But it’s about as slow drying a paper as is practical for most situations.

#6 usnavydoc

usnavydoc

Pen Enthusiast

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:43

What paper would you recommend that is left hand friendly?  I am getting someone into fountain pens and she is a lefty too so any info will help her too lol

#7 Torrilin

Torrilin

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:56

Jetpens sells a Maruman basics line, 80 sheets for $6. It’s one of the most cost effective “fancy” notebooks. Fabriano Eco Qua notebooks also have nice paper, and if you like pocket notebooks theirs are some of the cheapest. I haven’t done math on the larger sizes.

There’s usually at least 3-4 good choices for copy paper, tho it’s not something I focus on. But there’s usually annual discussion about which ones are good. Same for composition books. If you got through a lot of paper both can be very cost effective options.

All of these are assuming you’re in the US. If you’re not in the US, things will be different. But as you get a feel for what you like best, it gets easier to tell stuff that will suit your taste by touch.

And it’s not that Rhodia is bad, just for me the combination of poor dry time, show through, warping when wet, price and poor performance with italic nibs makes it a no. Plenty of lefties disagree with me. And they’re not wrong. I’m usually drawing or doing calligraphy, so I tend to be a little nuts about what paper qualities I like. But for other uses the traits that give me problems can be great. Depends on your goals.

#8 Mastiff

Mastiff

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:59

R&K Scabiosa.

#9 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,464 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 13:13

If you want shading, a 90g & or + laser paper will give it.

Ink Jet & Laser is a compromise and not as good.

Stay away from Ink Jet paper, in it will feather, in it 'must' absorb ink quickly, and not let the ink sit on top for the seconds needed to shade.

There being different ways left handers can hold a pen, shading is still a possibility.

Do look up the different ways lefties can hold a pen.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 17 May 2018 - 13:14.

Everyone says poor Mozart dead at only 36. None say poor Mendelson, dead at only 38. His family only allowed him to start at 20, but before, musicians use to come to the Mendelson garden to steal the music of Mendelson and his sister. A good artist also, can still buy prints of his famous Scottish drawings in Scotland.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Pens/inks/paper on hold for a year....new addiction pocket watch chains. :happyberet:

#10 MHBru

MHBru

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2018 - 21:52

I just tested it... Monteverde Purple Reign on Baron Fig paper with LAMY Aion medium... totally dry and smear proof in 5 seconds.  (I was actually surprised... didn't think it dried THAT fast)  I really like the color too... it really pops but isn't too feminine looking.

just retested on Rhodia... same result... dry and smear proof in 5 seconds

Edited by MHBru, 17 May 2018 - 21:55.

#11 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,264 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2018 - 17:10

https://www.jetpens....pen-inks/pt/896

Found this. Very interesting.

Avoid Concord Bream - it is evil.

I too liked Monteverde Purple Reign.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#12 Inktomi

Inktomi

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2018 - 20:11

Pelikan Violet and Private Reserve Purple Mojo are quick drying, well behaved purples. I prefer Purple Mojo for vibrancy and the sheer joy of writing with it, but YMMV.

"Iktomi is a spider fairy. He wears brown deerskin leggins with long soft fringes on either side, and tiny beaded moccasins on his feet. His long black hair is parted in the middle and wrapped with red, red bands. Each round braid hangs over a small brown ear and falls forward over his shoulders. [...] Poor Iktomi cannot help being a little imp. And so long as he is a naughty fairy, he cannot find a single friend."

~Zitkala-Sa; Iktomi and the Ducks & Other Sioux Stories

#13 Intensity

Intensity

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:56

Birmingham Pen Co. "Waterfront Dusk", a bluish purple, dries quickly.  Has good water resistance too.  I really like it with a fine Lamy Safari steel nib.

http://www.fountainp...aterfront-dusk/

#14 TheDutchGuy

TheDutchGuy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2018 - 18:49

I'm in love with Montblanc Lavender Purple.

#15 ENewton

ENewton

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,389 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 00:36

Birmingham Pen Co. "Waterfront Dusk", a bluish purple, dries quickly.  Has good water resistance too.  I really like it with a fine Lamy Safari steel nib.

http://www.fountainp...aterfront-dusk/

A very nice ink.

Sponsored Content

|