I don't know what some people inspect out of a pen when they use the word "inspire." Personally I like it when a pen feels good in my hand and to write with. Maybe some people want to be driven by the pen to write something worth reading.

The Lamy 2000 is one of those pens with a deceptively mundane appearance that, once you start writing with it, if you happen to like it, it will become very comfortable and pleasurable to write with. You will want to use it. My first Parker 51 is like that, and I am still using that one after forty-eight years. So, I use the 51 and the 2000 and a Montblanc 144R as well. Sometimes I scribble with the other pens. There is something about the Lamy 2000, the feel, the material, something of that sort. The same is true of the Parker 51. The feel, the ease of writing with the pen. The nibs on these pens are very smooth to write with. They are what most call nails. That is exactly what I want. Strong and unbending.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Purphoros

• Tseg

• Lloyd

• pajaro

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what some people inspect out of a pen when they use the word "inspire."

For me, I'm inspired when I pick up a pen and every time I think to myself, "This is an awesome pen!", like with my Waterman Carene or my Pelikan M120 or my Sailor King of Pen. I'm inspired, excited to be writing with it. I don't get that feeling with my Lamy, I pick it up and start writing with it and immediately start thinking about the words on paper without distraction. I hope I'm still writing with my Lamy 2000 in 48 years... then I'll be inspired. :)

BIG EDIT - This just in:

I'm now over 72 hours into owning this Lamy 2000. This pen was writing without skipping a beat, but so does my Pilot Metropolitan. There was something about the nib not sitting right with me... a little drier than I liked, a bit noisier on paper than I knew it could do and more 'feedback' than I desired. I had played around with copper shims in the nib with a little luck getting it slightly more wet, but not really. Earlier today I finally broke out the 12K grit micromesh and got the pen to be a little more smooth and quiet, but not really. This 72 hour old pen was starting to get close to making me yawn.

Then something inside me told me to unscrew the nib. I did it, looked around at the feed (while my barrel was still inked up in my other hand), shrugged my shoulders and began to screw the nib back in place. It didn't seat right at first... I could see that seam line too much and I could wiggle the Macrolon nib end, so I unscrewed and rescrewed and this time the nib went in perfectly.

I started to write... WHOA!!!! UNLEASH THE KRACKEN!!! Out of nowhere my Lamy 2000 began to write like I dreamed it would write when I ordered it. Nice. Juicy. Smooth. Just the slightest hint of feedback. Just the near side of Medium line size. Amazing. Perfect.

I don't know if my Macrolon wiggling unseated something with the feed or nib but BAM this has now become a truly amazing pen in my collection. I am so tickled pink.

If anyone asks me if I would recommend a Lamy 2000 all I can say is "Buy, Buy, BUY!!!"

Edited by Tseg

I think the option I would go with is the M605 from cultpens (£210) with free international shipping. That's still $282 US, but the resale value on the Pelikan will be far better. I'd go for an XF nib, which is a lot like a regular fine, and I think you are good to go for a fair while. For me, the Pelikan is the better writing experience.

There will be mutterings about nib quality etc., but I've found Pelikan XFs to be really good. The skinniness and the wetness balance each other nicely!

Good luck,

Ralf

For me, I'm inspired when I pick up a pen and every time I think to myself, "This is an awesome pen!", like with my Waterman Carene or my Pelikan M120 or my Sailor King of Pen. I'm inspired, excited to be writing with it. I don't get that feeling with my Lamy, I pick it up and start writing with it and immediately start thinking about the words on paper without distraction. I hope I'm still writing with my Lamy 2000 in 48 years... then I'll be inspired. :)

BIG EDIT - This just in:

I'm now over 72 hours into owning this Lamy 2000. This pen was writing without skipping a beat, but so does my Pilot Metropolitan. There was something about the nib not sitting right with me... a little drier than I liked, a bit noisier on paper than I knew it could do and more 'feedback' than I desired. I had played around with copper shims in the nib with a little luck getting it slightly more wet, but not really. Earlier today I finally broke out the 12K grit micromesh and got the pen to be a little more smooth and quiet, but not really. This 72 hour old pen was starting to get close to making me yawn.

Then something inside me told me to unscrew the nib. I did it, looked around at the feed (while my barrel was still inked up in my other hand), shrugged my shoulders and began to screw the nib back in place. It didn't seat right at first... I could see that seam line too much and I could wiggle the Macrolon nib end, so I unscrewed and rescrewed and this time the nib went in perfectly.

I started to write... WHOA!!!! UNLEASH THE KRACKEN!!! Out of nowhere my Lamy 2000 began to write like I dreamed it would write when I ordered it. Nice. Juicy. Smooth. Just the slightest hint of feedback. Just the near side of Medium line size. Amazing. Perfect.

I don't know if my Macrolon wiggling unseated something with the feed or nib but BAM this has now become a truly amazing pen in my collection. I am so tickled pink.

If anyone asks me if I would recommend a Lamy 2000 all I can say is "Buy, Buy, BUY!!!"

I love a happy ending. :wub:

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

BIG EDIT - This just in:

That is a resounding endorsement there, I like so much about the Lamy 2000, the price, the gold nib, the piston filler, the material, the size, the weight, all of it. I just don't know why I don't want to order it! Out of literally every single pen I have looked into none of them have the combination of such excellent features that the Lamy has. Every time I write about it I think about how much of an idiot I must be for not wanting to own one.

I think I'll make a list of pens I want, for now the Lamy will be number two on that list with an undetermined pen at number one, if I can't decide what beats the Lamy by next week Friday I'll order the Lamy. I know I'll be happy with the Lamy if I go with it.

For now the only pens that I am considering besides the Pelian M605 and the Lamy 2000 are from Franklin-Christoph with the Model 02, 03, 19, and 45 up for consideration.

Edited by Purphoros

I think the option I would go with is the M605 from cultpens (£210) with free international shipping. That's still $282 US, but the resale value on the Pelikan will be far better. I'd go for an XF nib, which is a lot like a regular fine, and I think you are good to go for a fair while. For me, the Pelikan is the better writing experience.

There will be mutterings about nib quality etc., but I've found Pelikan XFs to be really good. The skinniness and the wetness balance each other nicely!

Good luck,

Ralf

I think for most people this is the best choice. I have a blue M605, fine and extra fine nibs. I have had few issues with any Pelikan, and you can sell them decently. Performance is as good as anything.

Although I like Pelikans a lot, some things make the Parker 51 and Lamy 2000 more pleasing. Frictron fit cap in lieu of a threaded cap. The feel of the plastics. Fillers: a couple of my Pelikans have developed play in the filler knob. Still work. I like the simpler styles of the Lamy and the Parker. Many or most will disagree. I expect that and you have to follow your taste.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Pelikan likes having small shoulders on the nib which may make it look narrower and longer. It doesn't ruin the look for me but it is definitely noticeable now that you mention it.

Curiously enough, only on their gold nibs. Their steel one from the M215 is gorgeously shaped.

I like this ending even more than you like it, I promise. :D

Sounds like yours writes like mine now, haha. Congrats on finding a solution!

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

Just ordered the Lamy 2000, should be here by Sunday. Thanks everyone!

I hope you enjoy it!

I certainly do as well. I feel that this pen with its iconic design, competitive price, and gold nib will not be one I regret.

Thanks everyone for all your help, this community is wonderful in its advice and responsiveness. I'll be sure to post pictures when my pen arrives.