• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Purphoros

• Tseg

• Lloyd

• pajaro

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a tough one...

Limited editions (in any kind of product) are a huge gamble - they are designed to elicit urgency and make you pull the trigger before it disappears. High risk with high reward or high regret. Based on reading your comments I think you might be disappointed long term once your initial excitement wears off, but of course you might absolutely love it. Something else to consider: if you regret buying it you might be easily able to sell it once it is sold out and demand increases.

FWIW, I have only tried a L2K out of your choices but love it: it is an indispensable pen (as long as your grip on it is comfortable). I heartily recommend it: cannot speak to the other two as I do not own a Pelikan or a Sailor.

Good luck!

Edited by flyingpenman

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

Sailor also makes piston fillers. If the pen's too small for you, then avoid, but the sailor realos are piston fillers and might be worthy of consideration.

If the L2K doesn't excite you, don't buy it. You want pens that inspire you. Don't dismiss it because "everyone else" on FPN (most of whom you will never meet) has one. It is a solid reliable pen. I find the minimalist design exciting, but that's just me.

If the Pelikan nib is rubbish, then avoid. The Writing Desk in the UK sell Pelikans and they test the nibs before they send the pens out. I got a trouble free Visconti from them - so try them for a Pelikan.

see next post...

The one asking about white pens you mean? I started that one, if you meant your next comment then I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Edited by Purphoros

Sailor also makes piston fillers. If the pen's too small for you, then avoid, but the sailor realos are piston fillers and might be worthy of consideration.

If the L2K doesn't excite you, don't buy it. You want pens that inspire you. Don't dismiss it because "everyone else" on FPN (most of whom you will never meet) has one. It is a solid reliable pen. I find the minimalist design exciting, but that's just me.

If the Pelikan nib is rubbish, then avoid. The Writing Desk in the UK sell Pelikans and they test the nibs before they send the pens out. I got a trouble free Visconti from them - so try them for a Pelikan.

The nib on the specific Pelikan I had was bad, it made a metallic click when you would put it to paper, the owner of the pen store had a spare on hand and swapped them but I didn't feel the need to continue messing with it because I believed it was out of my price range until I researched it when I got home.

The Realos are interesting. I'm not as big of a fan of how they look due to the ink window being so prominent in the design, this is mitigated a bit if a dark ink is loaded however. The price on them is a bit above budget unless I order through eBay. I also can't seem to find a black and silver for less than $300.

My L2K is on route to me from the UK and should be here by early next week. Everybody's doing it.

Says the man with the Pelikan profile pic! Yeah its a hell of a bandwagon you got over there.

That is a tough one...

Limited editions (in any kind of product) are a huge gamble - they are designed to elicit urgency and make you pull the trigger before it disappears. High risk with high reward or high regret. Based on reading your comments I think you might be disappointed long term once your initial excitement wears off, but of course you might absolutely love it. Something else to consider: if you regret buying it you might be easily able to sell it once it is sold out and demand increases.

FWIW, I have only tried a L2K out of your choices but love it: it is an indispensable pen (as long as your grip on it is comfortable). I heartily recommend it: cannot speak to the other two as I do not own a Pelikan or a Sailor.

Good luck!

The grip shouldn't be an issue. I like to hold my pens close to the nib and the nodules don't really bother me if I hold it farther up.

If you want a pen that is unique to the pen community, you have two choices:

1) buy something nobody likes

2) spend a LOT of $$$

Can I have a small loan of a million dollars?

Says the man with the Pelikan profile pic! Yeah its a hell of a bandwagon you got over there.

Maybe I fell off the wagon if I'm recommending the L2K over a Pelikan?

Far be it from me to throw a wrench in your pen deciding works ... :lticaptd:... but you could take a look at the Franklin-Christoph models 02, 03, 20 and 31. From what I've read your post, they are right in the size you seem comfortable with. F-C even has their own deep purple ink. Oh, did I mention that you can get them with a special nib right around you $200 target? Have fun deciding. The hunt is fun!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Far be it from me to throw a wrench in your pen deciding works ... :lticaptd:... but you could take a look at the Franklin-Christoph models 02, 03, 20 and 31. From what I've read your post, they are right in the size you seem comfortable with. F-C even has their own deep purple ink. Oh, did I mention that you can get them with a special nib right around you $200 target? Have fun deciding. The hunt is fun!

More options? Oh god! Time to Google.

Edit: On the subject of size, I'm 6'3", have larger than average hands, and like a more substantial pen, any recommendation for that?

Edited by Purphoros

Maybe I fell off the wagon if I'm recommending the L2K over a Pelikan?

I meant the Lamy bandwagon sorry if it was confusing. ;)

More options? Oh god! Time to Google.

We FPN enablers claim another one...:D There are ALWAYS more options.

Edited by flyingpenman

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

...like a more substantial pen, any recommendation for that?

I like larger pens and really enjoy the 31 and two 20s I have from F-C. But if you want a big pen with good girth, and you want gang for your buck, get on EBay and buy a Bexley Prometheus from the owner and founder of the company, Howard Levy. His user id is BexLevy or something like that. No worries at all. He makes superb pens, and you can get 2 of the and stay under your $200 target!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Or you could get a TWSBI ECO-T and a Prometheus and someone and still be under $200.

Can I have a small loan of a million dollars?

Only if you pay me two million dollars as a downpayment.

Edited by Lloyd

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Get the Lamy 2000. If you like the metal grip, then the L2K will work.

Later, you can get a distinctive pen, such as the Parker 51 (aerometric)...the world's favorite pen 60 and 80 years ago, when the world wrote with fountain pens as the personal word-processor, and not as a hobby. Incidentally, a post from user MYU describes and shows the Lamy 27, Lamy's pen from the '50s. The L2K looks like it was an updated L27, and the L27 looks more like the P51 than any other, of the many, P51 look-alikes.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Only if you pay me two million dollars as a downpayment.

DEAL!

hehe, sucker

Not sure if you ordered yet, but my Lamy 2000 (F) showed up a couple days ago and I would characterize it with words like "fine", "nice", "conservative", "well made", "comfortable", "under the radar", "it works". In summary, the pen is all that yet not overly inspiring. I'm not sure how much of it is the pen or my Fine nib? It is not super juicy, more or less a nail nib, and just writes, and is a relatively loud writer vs. a number of my other gold nibbed pens. I'm realizing I'm having a love/hate relationship with my fatter nibs yet react to my finer lined pens like the tools they are. This Lamy, for me, is feeling like The Mother Of All Tool pens. That could be good or maybe not so good, depending where you are coming from.