Hey everyone!

Thanks to the success of my post asking about your favorite pens for less than $200 I've come very close to deciding on which pen I want. Two pens in my top three are from that list and the third is above budget but looks really nice.

My current picks are:

• Sailor 1911L in black and silver
  • Lamy 2000
  • Pelikan M605 Transparent white

I've had a chance to hold all three of these pens in person after a nice day trip to Toronto. Out of those three my two favorites are the Lamy 2000 and the Pelikan M605.

I do really like the Sailor 1911L but its boring and a fingerprint magnet, it also feels very warm to hold. It's about the size I like if a touch small.

The Lamy 2000 is a very nice writer and large which fits my hands rather well. The price is right for it and its a piston filler which is never a downside, the aluminum grip is also cool in my hand which makes me like it more. However its not very unique being basically a rite of passage in the FPN community. The pen is also perfectly sized.

The Pelikan M605 in Transparent White is gorgeous, $278 on Amazon (not prime and only in Medium) and the one I've had the least experience with. The one I held while I was at the pen store actually had a bad nib which combined with the price tag of $460 Canadian made me initially set it aside as an option. It also would be a bit wet and the medium nib would be more similar to a broad when compared to other brands which wouldn't make it ideal for my purposes as a daily writer but every time I look at a picture of it I immediately want one. It pushes my barrier on price, may stain, would be a broader than I might want, and is absolutely lovely. The pen is also a touch small but still feels nice in my hand.

I'm really torn. I want a reliable daily writer for notes in class and recreational writing at home and the Lamy 2000 is a no-brainier for that yet I just don't feel compelled to buy it. Any advice?

Also if my request wasn't convoluted enough anyone have a recommendation of a dark purple ink?

Edited by Purphoros

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Purphoros

• Tseg

• Lloyd

• pajaro

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a reason the Lamy 2000 is a rite of passage in the FPN community. :)

I can see your preference for the Pelikan. You are already conscious of the cost barrier and fact that the nib is (I gather) wider than you want.

If you are going to use this in class, I recommend the Lamy. A little discretion may be a good idea in that environment.

Montblanc Lavender Purple. Waterman Tender Purple is cheaper.

X

Agree with praxim. Get the 2000 now. Get the perfect Pelikan with the nib you want later.

My favorite purple is Sailor Shigure, but there's been a price jump.

In addition to praxim suggestions, Diamine & Monteverde have some nice looking purples.

Well, I love my L2k, but if you don't feel compelled to buy one, then you shouldn't.

That said, if you get the Pelikan and the nib isn't for you, you might be able to swap it. Google or read up on Pelikan's nib swapping service. I think this is still offered and is done through Chartpak here in the USA.

I've long wanted a Sailor, but I've got reservations about C/C filling systems. Maybe someday I'll get one.

Anyway, good luck deciding. I'd probably keep looking for the nib size you want in the Pelikan since that's the pen you really seem to want.

I can see your preference for the Pelikan. You are already conscious of the cost barrier and fact that the nib is (I gather) wider than you want.

If you are going to use this in class, I recommend the Lamy. A little discretion may be a good idea in that environment.

+1 Praxim has given excellent advice. The Lamy 2000 is a great pen. And since you have actually held it, you know how good it feels in your hand.

I know this may sound silly, but sometimes when I am trying to choose between one of two or three pens (and I am actually able to handle them), I will put each one in my hand, close my eyes and concentrate on how it feels in my hand. Sometimes when we are looking at the pen we are captivated by the way it looks rather than the way it feels. Focus on how it feels. Looks can come later.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Any of those three pens can be good. The Sailor converter does not hold much ink though, but if you want to use cartridges or refilling a cartridge then it can be more inline with the other two pens. I like the Lamy and my Pelikan's better then my Sailor 1911L, but they are all very good pens. From what you said about how the Lamy 200 feels in your hand I would suggest you start out with it, but expect sooner or later you will buy the others.

All the Pelikan heads will peck me to death for this, but here goes....

Much as I love Pelikan's, there is something about the 605 that isn't quite right but I know that it narrows down to the nib. I can't exactly put my finger on it, but I suspect it might be to do with the actual size of the nib in comparison to the body of the pen. It feels a touch small; a little too small for the pen perhaps, and the result is that for whatever reason I find this exaggerates the sense of firmness in the nib. Over time it has been a growing sense of irritation for me in regards to the 605. It may not be an issue for anyone else, but it has become a growing issue for me. I don't have this sense with the 400 or the 800 (both of which are also firm nibs) or the 1000.

All the Pelikan heads will peck me to death for this, but here goes....

Much as I love Pelikan's, there is something about the 605 that isn't quite right but I know that it narrows down to the nib. I can't exactly put my finger on it, but I suspect it might be to do with the actual size of the nib in comparison to the body of the pen. It feels a touch small; a little too small for the pen perhaps, and the result is that for whatever reason I find this exaggerates the sense of firmness in the nib. Over time it has been a growing sense of irritation for me in regards to the 605. It may not be an issue for anyone else, but it has become a growing issue for me. I don't have this sense with the 400 or the 800 (both of which are also firm nibs) or the 1000.

Pelikan likes having small shoulders on the nib which may make it look narrower and longer. It doesn't ruin the look for me but it is definitely noticeable now that you mention it.

Any of those three pens can be good. The Sailor converter does not hold much ink though, but if you want to use cartridges or refilling a cartridge then it can be more inline with the other two pens. I like the Lamy and my Pelikan's better then my Sailor 1911L, but they are all very good pens. From what you said about how the Lamy 200 feels in your hand I would suggest you start out with it, but expect sooner or later you will buy the others.

Yeah I already have come to terms with the idea of buying the pens later. The question that burns in my mind is which first? My only time sensitive pen is the Pelikan, it is a special edition so prices may become volatile or the pens may become unavailable soon. I am however unfamiliar with how Pelikan handles its special edition pens especially the seasonal ones.

+1 Praxim has given excellent advice. The Lamy 2000 is a great pen. And since you have actually held it, you know how good it feels in your hand.

I know this may sound silly, but sometimes when I am trying to choose between one of two or three pens (and I am actually able to handle them), I will put each one in my hand, close my eyes and concentrate on how it feels in my hand. Sometimes when we are looking at the pen we are captivated by the way it looks rather than the way it feels. Focus on how it feels. Looks can come later.

I wish I could go hold them again but its a two hour drive and I would feel dishonest going to a store to write test or hold pens when I have no intention of buying there.

Discretion might be a good call, the Lamy 2000 is nice because it isn't obvious its a fountain pen and the colors are darker. Now that I think about it the Pelikan might stay at home if I found that it attracted too much attention.

Discretion might be a good call, the Lamy 2000 is nice because it isn't obvious its a fountain pen and the colors are darker. Now that I think about it the Pelikan might stay at home if I found that it attracted too much attention.

If you have a habit of never laying your pen down (that is, once done writing it goes right into your shirt pocket or pen case), then I don't think you need to worry about this. Very few people will notice that you are using a "nice" pen. Of those that do, even fewer will actually care at all. This has been my experience anyway...

Yeah I already have come to terms with the idea of buying the pens later. The question that burns in my mind is which first? My only time sensitive pen is the Pelikan, it is a special edition so prices may become volatile or the pens may become unavailable soon. I am however unfamiliar with how Pelikan handles its special edition pens especially the seasonal ones.

The Pelikan 605 transparent white will only be around until they sell out. One thing to remember is that if your buy from a dealer not located in the USA/Canada and want service or a nib change you are out of luck. Chartpak will only honor the warranty from authorized Pelikan dealers in the USA and Canada. So you are taking a risk on the $300 M605. I have done just that. I have bought from England (Cult Pens) and Germany (Missing-pen.de) and been happy, but if you are on the fence to start with on the M nib it might not be your best bet.

Also realize that a white Pelikan may show stains from some inks. Some people have no problem, others report issues. If you want a pen you can use with any fountain pen ink the other two are better choices. If you plan on using noodlers ink I would get the Sailor. It's converter is very easy to replace. Two of my top 5 favorite pens are Pelikan (M805/M120) so I don't have anything against the brand.

I just bought a Pelikan M101N Lizard off eBay. It was a tight race for me between it, and the White Transparent, m600 White Turquoise, and the M400 White Tortoise that Cult Pens has for $200. I don't mind using inks that are not highly saturated in them to avoid staining.

Just know the risks as part of your decision.

Very few people will notice that you are using a "nice" pen. Of those that do, even fewer will actually care at all. This has been my experience anyway...

...And mine. You might get an occasional compliment (when a store clerk yesterday said "Clean!" and "Sharp!", it took me a second to realize he was talking about my pen), but yours are the only eyes that will see the halo :) .

It sounds like you want the Lamy 2000.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

I would not put the purple ink in the white pen, if you buy the Pelikan. Whatever you buy, if the wetness is an issue, consider the wetness of the ink you use. While I like all three models of pen, if you use purple ink, the Sailor's converter is cheaply replaceable. Red and purple inks are reputed to degrade sacs and, I understand, fillers. So, I would use them in C/C pens. Refilled cartridges and converters are cheap cannon fodder..

The Lamy is a rugged pen that looks like a cheap Flair fiber tip pen from the 1960s. That is one reason that I like it. Its feel is different from that of the other two.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

If you have a habit of never laying your pen down (that is, once done writing it goes right into your shirt pocket or pen case), then I don't think you need to worry about this. Very few people will notice that you are using a "nice" pen. Of those that do, even fewer will actually care at all. This has been my experience anyway...

I do set my pen down but always capped, pens rolling have burned me before so I always cap. The only times I've had a comment on my pen is when I've filled it (I carry a bottle of ink and use a converter).

The Pelikan 605 transparent white will only be around until they sell out. One thing to remember is that if your buy from a dealer not located in the USA/Canada and want service or a nib change you are out of luck. Chartpak will only honor the warranty from authorized Pelikan dealers in the USA and Canada. So you are taking a risk on the $300 M605. I have done just that. I have bought from England (Cult Pens) and Germany (Missing-pen.de) and been happy, but if you are on the fence to start with on the M nib it might not be your best bet.

Also realize that a white Pelikan may show stains from some inks. Some people have no problem, others report issues. If you want a pen you can use with any fountain pen ink the other two are better choices. If you plan on using noodlers ink I would get the Sailor. It's converter is very easy to replace. Two of my top 5 favorite pens are Pelikan (M805/M120) so I don't have anything against the brand.

I just bought a Pelikan M101N Lizard off eBay. It was a tight race for me between it, and the White Transparent, m600 White Turquoise, and the M400 White Tortoise that Cult Pens has for $200. I don't mind using inks that are not highly saturated in them to avoid staining.

Just know the risks as part of your decision.

I'm very aware of the staining issue and I've made a few posts seeking consensus but haven't really gotten a straight answer. You make a valid point about lasting stock, the color doesn't seem to be that popular with none of the main reviewers I know even mentioning it. I'm leaning towards the Lamy 2000 now after rereading my issues with the Pelikan 605.

...And mine. You might get an occasional compliment (when a store clerk yesterday said "Clean!" and "Sharp!", it took me a second to realize he was talking about my pen), but yours are the only eyes that will see the halo :) .

It sounds like you want the Lamy 2000.

Psst! I'm over here not over there.

But compliments on my pens are always welcome even if everyone asks if I can do calligraphy.

Edited by Purphoros

I would not put the purple ink in the white pen, if you buy the Pelikan. Whatever you buy, if the wetness is an issue, consider the wetness of the ink you use. While I like all three models of pen, if you use purple ink, the Sailor's converter is cheaply replaceable. Red and purple inks are reputed to degrade sacs and, I understand, fillers. So, I would use them in C/C pens. Refilled cartridges and converters are cheap cannon fodder..

The Lamy is a rugged pen that looks like a cheap Flair fiber tip pen from the 1960s. That is one reason that I like it. Its feel is different from that of the other two.

I knew red could be destructive but purple never occurred to me.

see next post...

Edited by Lloyd

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde