Wahl Doric Level Repair

GeoffMartin

Hi,

I have a Wahl Doric with an adjustable nib that I love dearly... The only problem with it is that the lever doesn't completely seat flush to the barrel as can be seen in this photo.

post-128297-0-12722000-1526499030_thumb.jpg

So, I'd like to remove the lever assembly to see what can be done about it before it's accidentally damaged (it's my daily pen at work these days...)

However, when I look down into the barrel, it appears that there is a metal sleeve in there, part of which is supporting the lever pivot somehow...

post-128297-0-62069900-1526499040_thumb.jpg

I haven't been able to find any info on how to remove this - and I really don't want to experiment on this pen... Any advice or pointers on how to go about this?

Thanks

-geoff

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GeoffMartin

• siamackz

• fountainbel

Look like a C-ring holding the lever in place. But I dont know anything about dorics and so Ill let the pros answer you

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

Hi Siamackz,

I was hoping that it would be a C-ring... but it's definitely something more substantial. It's almost as though l'm looking down into a metal cup that extends all the way to the bottom of the barrel.

Cheers

-geoff

Really? Are there two holes at the sides of the lever on the outside of the barrel? Because thats typical of C rings

Edited by siamackz

First - an apology. Siamackz - you are correct. It is a C-ring in there. but that's not all...

To anyone who is looking at this thread, searching for information about repairing a lever in a Wahl Doric, I have put the full story of my adventure on my own site.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Cheers

-geoff

Hey Geoff, thanks for posting your instructions, this is a great contribution.

To fix your issue, I would imagine that you need to they the lever out. I dont know how its done on wahls, but typically it means after the pressure bar is out, you then need to open the lever to 90-degrees or so and push it down into the barrel gently and twist to release the C ring. Read up on how to service Waterman pressure bars with C rings if you want some idea http://www.richardspens.com/index_m.html?page=ref/repair/levers.htm

Also, nice Skribent in your collection. I have a Skribent Super 4 in coral red that is essentially a replica of the Danish Montblanc 214. If you want more info about Skribent then PM me - I have a book on MBs in Denmark and it talks about Skribent

Hi Siamackz,

Thanks!

The problem I'm having is directly related to the plug itself, which I could see when I had the pen apart - I was just hoping that cleaning everything up would fix it... unfortunately not. I've put an addendum explaining what's going on inside there on my web page.

Thanks for the offer on the Skribent info. I also have the Montblanc book you mention. Martins's and Miloro's book on Penol pens is also very good. I live in Denmark, so it's not difficult to find Skribents here. I have a couple of more, waiting to be brought back to life. :-)

Cheers

-geoff

Hi Siamackz,

. I also have the Montblanc book you mention. Martins's and Miloro's book on Penol pens is also very good. I live in Denmark, so it's not difficult to find Skribents here. I have a couple of more, waiting to be brought back to life. :-)

Cheers

-geoff

Nice!

First - an apology. Siamackz - you are correct. It is a C-ring in there. but that's not all...

To anyone who is looking at this thread, searching for information about repairing a lever in a Wahl Doric, I have put the full story of my adventure on my own site.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Cheers

-geoff

Just read your story on this pen on your site, well done Geoff !

And thanks for shearing !

Look forward to read on the final outcome…

Francis

Hi Francis,

Thanks for the comments! The lever is still not behaving, and I have some theories as to what to do next...

1. I've taken out the C-clip and lever, cleaned it up and put them back in - although the C-clip is not seating completely in the groove due to some deformation after years of corrosion (this can also be seen in the original photo at the top of this thread). This may be part of the problem, since the pressure bar comes back to rest on the underside of the clip instead of the inside of the barrel, preventing the lever from coming all the way back. Perhaps making a new C-clip that is more circular and the correct diameter would help.

2. I have a feeling that an ink sack that is one size larger may help to put more outwards pressure on the pressure bar. I've ordered one this evening and will install it after it arrives to see if that helps.

3. I've filed a flat area into the inside of the barrel - just a little, to give the pressure bar a little more room when it's returned to its resting position.

4. I've taken the pressure bar off the end plug. This did not help, so it will be re-attached when the new sack goes in.

Once I get those things sorted out, I'll do an update on my own site and put in a heads-up here.

Cheers

-geoff

Edited by GeoffMartin