Thoughts On Pelikan M805 Demonstrator

Fatalpotato

Hi everyone, I wanted to have a separate topic on this because I couldn't find enough information on other topics and they're quite old now.

I have been searching for a m1005 demo for quite a while now but as many of you might have found out the unused ones in market have almost tripled in value since that pens release (6 years ago?) and the used ones usually ask for the new price when it was released (600$ range) and they are usually sold in less than an hour. I have a visconti opera black demo and an aurora 88 black demo and I really enjoyed using those, though I dropped and cracked the barrel of aurora some time ago. I fixed it with some cyanoacrylate glue (supeglue) to attach two parts of barrel. But now it sometimes leaks ink to the space between inner and outer chamber and its a whole lot of mess to clean it out. So I rarely use that pen now and I figured out aurora nibs are not that good for my taste.

As a replacement to that pen, now I'm contemplating to buy a 805 demo probably with engravings because it looks cool :). I tried to read some reviews about the pen but only could find a not so thorough review at pelikans perch (what a lovely site for pelikan aficiandos :)) and as that pen was released almost three years ago I find the love it found in community a little underwhelming compared to more recent offerings from pelikan. I would like to hear from everyone that either owns the pen, seen the pen, or even has some opinion on it from stuff they saw online that I couldn't find. Positive criticism of the pen is much appreciated but I'm actually more interested in what made the 1005 edition such a big hit and this one not so much.

Thanks in advance, and I'll return the favor to the community by writing a nice review on the vermillion custom urushi I recently got, which I think isn't getting the love it deserves right now :)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fatalpotato

• zaddick

• Bo Bo Olson

• Lam1

I'm not into demonstrators at all.....do have a translucent 200 Amethyst, and that's it for looking at the guts.

One has to be careful of what ink one uses with transparent demonstrators; though there are cures some have found.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I'm not into demonstrators at all.....do have a translucent 200 Amethyst, and that's it for looking at the guts.

One has to be careful of what ink one uses with transparent demonstrators; though there are cures some have found.

I find that to be mostly true but vis opera can be separated into pieces as is 88 nib unit. So they're pretty easy to clean and never had a stain issue until I broke the aurora. I find my 800 and 1000s to be pretty easy to clean as well, but the staining is a mystery (could annoy me a lot) for me, though I usually use inks that are known to be generally safe in demos, like watermans and aurora.

The issue with clear demonstrators pens like the M1005 and the M800 variants is not only staining of the barrel with the ink is sloshing around, but the fact ink will seep into the collar of the section. This is the thin space between the bore where then nib screws in and the outer surface of the pen. On non demo pens this is black and you don't see the ink. In a demo you do. to clean it thoroughly you would have to disassemble the pen more than just taking out the nib or piston.

This drives some folks nuts. A clear pen is not for them. :D

i think people liek the M1005 better because there are so few variants of the M1000 line that are affordable. There are lots of Maki-e pens in the many thousands range, but nothing other than green and black for the regular line. Whereas withthe M800 is can feel liek the color of the quarter club.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

The nib on the M1005 is very different from the rest of the Pelikan nibs, add to that the slightly larger size, big nib and wet flow, perhaps that is what makes it desirable. I have never seen it in person, but did see one on sale for around $500. I don't like demos, so I let it go.

Now the M805, I have seen one, the plain Demonstrator. It's smaller, with a reasonably wet nib (not as wet as the M1005) albeit quite smaller than the M1005 nib.

So basic difference I can point out is the size of the pen and nib, wetness, and softness.

Basic similarities that I can point out: both are going to be a pain to clean, and I'll have to be extremely careful of my ink choices with them. I like my inks, so no demos.

I have owned 3x M80x and both M1000 and M1005 black.

The issue with clear demonstrators pens like the M1005 and the M800 variants is not only staining of the barrel with the ink is sloshing around, but the fact ink will seep into the collar of the section. This is the thin space between the bore where then nib screws in and the outer surface of the pen. On non demo pens this is black and you don't see the ink. In a demo you do. to clean it thoroughly you would have to disassemble the pen more than just taking out the nib or piston.

this is a nice heads up sir and is muchly appreciated. If you have the time would you elaborate how is this stain cleaned other than removing the nib?

The nib on the M1005 is very different from the rest of the Pelikan nibs, add to that the slightly larger size, big nib and wet flow, perhaps that is what makes it desirable. I have never seen it in person, but did see one on sale for around $500. I don't like demos, so I let it go.

Now the M805, I have seen one, the plain Demonstrator. It's smaller, with a reasonably wet nib (not as wet as the M1005) albeit quite smaller than the M1005 nib.

So basic difference I can point out is the size of the pen and nib, wetness, and softness.

Basic similarities that I can point out: both are going to be a pain to clean, and I'll have to be extremely careful of my ink choices with them. I like my inks, so no demos.

I have owned 3x M80x and both M1000 and M1005 black.

I think zaddick covered it when he said the limited editions of m1000 are very limited and very highly priced and thus the second hand market adjusts to that accordingly.

For my personal interest I like 10xx models so much more than the 80x ones, due mainly to the nib features you mentioned and it is a shame most les are not to my taste and very pricy :(

I am not sure how to completely take the pen apart. I think it is possible.

You can draw some of the colored watery ink ou using the auction created by the piston. Remove the nib, put the piston in the extended position (like to draw ink), cover the hole in the section (you can use your finger if you get a good seal), retract the piston to create a vacuum, and remove the blockage on the opening. This should draw some fluid out. I have not gotten it to work to remove all of it though.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I am not sure how to completely take the pen apart. I think it is possible.

You can draw some of the colored watery ink ou using the auction created by the piston. Remove the nib, put the piston in the extended position (like to draw ink), cover the hole in the section (you can use your finger if you get a good seal), retract the piston to create a vacuum, and remove the blockage on the opening. This should draw some fluid out. I have not gotten it to work to remove all of it though.

Nice, thanks a lot. I do that sometimes for fun, it tingles my fingertip :)

There is an article on Pelikan's Perch on how to clean the ink out of a Pelikan demo section with a syringe. Its a PITA. Zaddick is correct, the ink WILL get into the layers of the section.

...So much ink, so little penmanship....

You can also remove the nib and just put the section down into some pen flush and let it sit over night. I was able to clean the section on my transparent amber m200 that way. It had some Ka-Jaku that was really on hard.

Note: only the section was in the flush the rest was sticking up out of the container I was using.

Recently had to clean mine and can confirm what everyone is saying. Cleaning them thoroughly is a bit of a pain. Had Lamy Dark Lilac in it and even after I had cleaned it to the point where it looked clean and was pushing clear water in and out, all I had to do was flick the pen a little and voila - more ink in the barrel. :huh:

Recently had to clean mine and can confirm what everyone is saying. Cleaning them thoroughly is a bit of a pain. Had Lamy Dark Lilac in it and even after I had cleaned it to the point where it looked clean and was pushing clear water in and out, all I had to do was flick the pen a little and voila - more ink in the barrel. :huh:

Thanks for input! How would you compare it to other demos(if you've got) or other pens cleaning wise?

I own the 1005 Demonstrator. I don't have an 805 demonstrator but its safe to assume it writes the same as any other 800, which is wet and smooth. My 1005 is my daily driver, and I use it with Pilot Iroshizuku Konpeki ink.

As some have said here, cleaning can be a bit of a chore, mainly because you can see what is inside the pen. I usually stay within the same ink color range so switching inks is no big deal. But when I do go to an ink that is a completely different shade I take the nib out and soak it in water overnight. I tend to avoid oversaturated inks due to potential staining so I have had no issues with that.

It is a large pen so it takes getting used to, but the nib of the 1000 is much wetter and has more bend than the 800 - so they write very different. I have had this pen for 7 years and so far no plastic discoloration. The only negative on the pen for me is the price - especially today's prices.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c322/navydoc414/Star%20Wars/boba2.gifhttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c322/navydoc414/Star%20Wars/emperor.gifhttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c322/navydoc414/Star%20Wars/imperial_guard2.gifhttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c322/navydoc414/Star%20Wars/sandtrooper.gifhttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c322/navydoc414/Star%20Wars/vaderflow.gif

I own the 1005 Demonstrator. I don't have an 805 demonstrator but its safe to assume it writes the same as any other 800, which is wet and smooth. My 1005 is my daily driver, and I use it with Pilot Iroshizuku Konpeki ink.

As some have said here, cleaning can be a bit of a chore, mainly because you can see what is inside the pen. I usually stay within the same ink color range so switching inks is no big deal. But when I do go to an ink that is a completely different shade I take the nib out and soak it in water overnight. I tend to avoid oversaturated inks due to potential staining so I have had no issues with that.

It is a large pen so it takes getting used to, but the nib of the 1000 is much wetter and has more bend than the 800 - so they write very different. I have had this pen for 7 years and so far no plastic discoloration. The only negative on the pen for me is the price - especially today's prices.

You're one lucky gentlemen to have bought it way back :)

I have the m1005 and m805 demostrators too. I too prefer the m1005 I have over the M805 and like have mine inked in pilot irushizuku ama iro. I only use blue... due to work.. so I don't worry abt the color in the section. However for me ... the m805 has more options in nibs as I have various nib sizes in the 800 sizes.

If u don't already have m800s with various nibs... and want demostrators... I think there are many other brand options especially for the price pelikan is asking for . Also, if u want it as a user.. fyi..the engraved ones with the words might fade...(do a search) I decided on one without the engravings.

I would prob pick a different special edition m800 over the demostrator model if I had to choose. See if u can try one .. if possible. Hope it helps!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbU5zSlF44d/?taken-by=innerlights2k

the m1005 in the pic has the 2 tone m nib from my m1000. It comes with a rhodium nib..

I have the m1005 and m805 demostrators too. I too prefer the m1005 I have over the M805 and like have mine inked in pilot irushizuku ama iro. I only use blue... due to work.. so I don't worry abt the color in the section. However for me ... the m805 has more options in nibs as I have various nib sizes in the 800 sizes.

If u don't already have m800s with various nibs... and want demostrators... I think there are many other brand options especially for the price pelikan is asking for . Also, if u want it as a user.. fyi..the engraved ones with the words might fade...(do a search) I decided on one without the engravings.

I would prob pick a different special edition m800 over the demostrator model if I had to choose. See if u can try one .. if possible. Hope it helps!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbU5zSlF44d/?taken-by=innerlights2k

the m1005 in the pic has the 2 tone m nib from my m1000. It comes with a rhodium nib..

Thanks for the info! I like demos in general that's why I want this model. I have more m1000 nibs than I do have 800 nibs but I'm not able to find an m1005 demonstrator unfortunately. I'm getting more inclined to buy it each day, and will post about it if I decide to get one :)

I have had the M805 Demo since it was released and as far as the reasons why it is less sought after than the M1005 and how it writes, I think everybody covered it well.

The only thing I have to add is that I don’t find the demo any more difficult to clean than the other M800 I have. Yes, ink gets into the section (of any Pelikan) but I always clean them by running the piston a few times and than taking the nib out (to soak overnight) I put water on the barrel with a syringe (without completely filling the barrel), cover the opening with my finger and shake it. Repeat 3 to 4 times and all is clean. It never failed to completely clean the demo. But, I avoid very saturated inks in this pen.