The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****

Photo

Fountain Pens For Kids

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mrp100

mrp100

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 16:57

My son just turned six and has been asking when he can use some of my fountain pens.  My question for this forum is twofold.  First, is six too young to start using fountain pens?  If not, can anyone recommend a good starter pen for my young Ernest Hemingway to practice his penmanship? 

Sponsored Content

#2 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,941 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2018 - 17:07

Not necessarily. Especially since he has a desire to. A couple of manufacturers have beginner/starter/student pens. Lamy has I think it is called the ABC, Pelikan has the Pelikano, Pelikano Jr., Twist. I am sure there are probably others too. A quick google search for these show them all in the $10-$25 range.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#3 linearM

linearM

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2018 - 18:01

I had the experience of giving a six year old a Noodler's pen.  I explained that he needed to be careful and not press too hard etc. Everything was fine then he went off and when he came back the nib was a mangled mess, not sure what he could have done with it. I had replacement nib so not problem.  But I decided to wait and put a little tag on another pen that said his name and 8 years old.  For the next two years every time he would come he would check to see if 'his' pen was still there.  On his 8th birthday I gave it to him.  It became something special and I think he has taken care of it.

Another thing third grade seems to be when students first start learning cursive, eight would be a good age to make the presentation.

I think Runnin_Ute's pen suggestions are a good one.

Edited by linearM, 16 May 2018 - 18:03.

#4 JulieParadise

JulieParadise

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2018 - 18:41

6 is not too young. In Germany firstgraders write with fountain pens at that age.

Get him a pen with a replaceable nib, e.g. a Lamy abc or a Pelikano. If the pen falls down or if you notice that he needs a finer or broader nib you can react.

Congrats to your little one! Writing with a fountain pen is great, esp. when Momma shares all her fun inks!

Sina a.k.a. Julie Paradise | www.instagram.com/wwwjulieparadisede

#5 WarrenB

WarrenB

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2018 - 18:53

In addition, I wouldn't mind the Stabilo Easybuddy or Jinhao 993 (looks like a Pilot Plumix 'homage') for meself, let alone a child.

But I decided to wait and put a little tag on another pen that said his name and 8 years old.

What was that second pen - another Noodler's?

#6 SoulSamurai

SoulSamurai

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2018 - 18:56

Make sure you only let him near washable inks. Cartridges only of course.

#7 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,413 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2018 - 00:48

Let me throw in a vote for a Pilot Varsity. Cheap, pretty sturdy, and they don't try out when capped and left for months. And you can get them in colors. My son started with those and liked them. 

He just started a new school in 6th grade and all students are required to use fountain pens. I bought him a TWSBI Eco-T in bright yellow-green and he loves it. 

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

#8 mrp100

mrp100

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:02

Thanks to all for the replies. Despite linearM’s experience, I am inclined to give my son a Lamy ABC or Pelikan Jr. now, but make sure he only uses it when supervised. I only write with fountain pens because I find them to be the most enjoyable writing instrument out there, and I want to share that pleasure with my son.

#9 JulieParadise

JulieParadise

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:37

Or, if you are in for more fun, get him a/some Pilot Petit(s). The clips are not that sturdy, but the pens write reliably and do not dry out. Comes in fun colours, too, at a price where you might get 3-5 for 20€/$. My children (and sometimes foster-children) also used these at school (ages 6-11). 

The Petits (and Platinum Preppies as well) make for great gifts or stocking stuffer, too. 

Sina a.k.a. Julie Paradise | www.instagram.com/wwwjulieparadisede

#10 MomoShinChan

MomoShinChan

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:12

If it were up to me, I would get him a Pilot Kakuno. You cannot (mostly) go wrong with that pen.

#11 Brandywine

Brandywine

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:19

The Lamy ABC and the Pelikano are both meant to be used by beginners,
so their nibs are designed to take more pressure than pens for advanced writers.

In Germany many students keep using these pens and do not change to more "grown" designs.

The Pelikano will take standard cartridges (their design became the standard),
Lamy cartridges may be more expensive and harder to obtain.

The first pen should better be a cartridges pen- piston fillers or eyedroppers may be messy.

And make shure the ink is washable!

Kids should already be able to write before they start writing with a fountain pen.

Learning both at the same time is hard for the kids - and the pens.

Sponsored Content

|