M481

martabfp

Hi, I have just started collecting Pelikan pens, but I have been learning so much with this forum that I almost feel like an expert already :D Many thanks for accepting me here.

I would like to share a recent experience with a M481 green-black bought on Ebay Italy with a HEF 12C gold nib and a M150 label. The seller told me that this pen was part of a batch ordered by a pharmaceutical company to be gifted to doctors by their representatives. His complete answer in Italian is below. I though that you would find this interesting since it apparently tells about one of the little-known 481 customised orders.

"Questa penna fa parte di un lotto ordinato alla Pelikan da un'azienda farmaceutica esplicitamente con pennino a 12 ct poi consegnata ai rappresentanti di medicinali (informatori scientifici) i quali quando si recano dai sig.medici per proporre i loro medicinali li" OMAGGIANO" con gadget di ogni tipo... penne, orologi, accendini etc. La penna mi e' stata regalata dal mio medico."

post-143097-0-01468700-1526478781_thumb.jpgpost-143097-0-63961400-1526478817_thumb.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martabfp

• Doug1426

• whych

• Spelikan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to FPN, and Congratulations on your new Pelikan. It's always cool to know the provenance of an older pen.

Enjoy it, but watch out for that slippery Pelikan slope...it's a lot of fun, but if out of hand gets expensive.

"History Teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." Abba Eban

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to FPN, and Congratulations on your new Pelikan. It's always cool to know the provenance of an older pen.

Enjoy it, but watch out for that slippery Pelikan slope...it's a lot of fun, but if out of hand gets expensive.

Many thanks for the kind words. I can feel the Pelikan slope dragging me down already :)

The 481 has become my preferred pen so far. I guess I like the size, but I am using it with a M200 nib. By the way, I thought it would be impossible to swap nibs but I have tried the 200, 481 and 150 nibs (including the 481 12C HEF) with every other pen and all worked well, with no leaks.

This is probably a very basic question but am I missing something here? The models are: M200 café-crème, M150 green-black W.Germany and M481 green-black. The "screw part" looks the same.

Edited by martabfp

The M120/M2xx and M4xx nibs are all interchangeable.

If you put a P2xx nib into an M series, just be careful when filling he pen that you don't break the nipple off the end that is there to pierce the ink cart.

Putting an M series nib into a P2xx doesn't work because the nib is 'necked' to hold the ink cart.

Edited by whych

The M120/M2xx and M4xx nibs are all interchangeable.

If you put a P2xx nib into an M series, just be careful when filling he pen that you don't break the nipple off the end that is there to pierce the ink cart.

Putting an M series nib into a P2xx doesn't work because the nib is 'necked' to hold the ink cart.

Many thanks for your answer. So, may I buy a 14C M400 nib for my M150? Is there any hidden issue? Why this is not a regular option?

Ah, the P200 was a misspelling, I meant M200 (I have corrected the post). Thanks again.

Edited by martabfp

Hi, I have just started collecting Pelikan pens, but I have been learning so much with this forum that I almost feel like an expert already :D Many thanks for accepting me here.

I would like to share a recent experience with a M481 green-black bought on Ebay Italy with a HEF 12C gold nib and a M150 label. T

attachicon.gif IMG_7604.jpgattachicon.gif IMG_7605.jpg

Very nice!

Is there a Pelikan logo on the top of the cap, or is it smooth?

Thanks.

~ S.

The 481 can take the same nibs as the m200/m400. The 481 was the predecessor to the m200. You can read more about the 481 here https://www.pelikan-collectibles.com/en/Pelikan/Models/Classic-Series/M200-Basis/index.html

It's my understanding the m150 uses a smaller nib and where you should be able to put the smaller one in the bigger pen, putting a 200/400 in the 150 may not fit the cap properly and get damaged capping the pen.

Very nice!

Is there a Pelikan logo on the top of the cap, or is it smooth?

Thanks.

~ S.

It is smooth. I have removed the cap to see if there was a hidden symbol but no, there is nothing either outside or inside.

The 481 can take the same nibs as the m200/m400. The 481 was the predecessor to the m200. You can read more about the 481 here https://www.pelikan-collectibles.com/en/Pelikan/Models/Classic-Series/M200-Basis/index.html

It's my understanding the m150 uses a smaller nib and where you should be able to put the smaller one in the bigger pen, putting a 200/400 in the 150 may not fit the cap properly and get damaged capping the pen.

Many thanks for your answer. I am trying to see the difference between the screw part of the M150 and M200 nibs that I have here, but it is maybe too subtile for my eyes. I have inserted the M200 nib into the M150 again, very slowly this time, and I could not feel any pressure. Weird.

Attached is a picture of the M150 with the M200 nib, and there is also another one with their nibs side by side. I am sure these images are not very relevant to experienced collectors like you, I am just trying to show why I am a bit surprised. The 3 pens used in my little experience can be seen in the last photo.

post-143097-0-28501700-1527440622_thumb.jpg

post-143097-0-96951500-1527440678_thumb.jpg

post-143097-0-70001200-1527441798_thumb.jpg

Edited by martabfp

I am trying to close the M150 now. I can still make 3/4 of a circle when fitting the cap on the M150 with a M200 nib, which is more than enough to keep it in place. But you are absolutely right, I can see a problem waiting to happen if I am not careful enough. Thanks for the info.

Those 150/200/400 and that 481 nibs will go into the 600 also.

Until I had my 605 BB finally stubbed to 1.0, I used a '54 semi-flex B in it. :puddle:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Those 150/200/400 and that 481 nibs will go into the 600 also.

Until I had my 605 BB finally stubbed to 1.0, I used a '54 semi-flex B in it. :puddle:

Thanks for sharing that! This is truly good news. Swapping the nibs freely will make things even more interesting :)

Just a final comment on using larger nibs with smaller pens, my M150 with a M200 nib has leaked overnight :wacko: I think the tip was slightly touching the cap. So I can use any nib with any pen from the same era, but when attaching the shortest cap, as well as being careful to avoid damaging the nib, I have also to be sure that the tip does not touch the cap even slightly. Lesson learned... Thanks again for the tips (and the patience with my very basic questions).

Just a final comment on using larger nibs with smaller pens, my M150 with a M200 nib has leaked overnight :wacko: I think the tip was slightly touching the cap. So I can use any nib with any pen from the same era, but when attaching the shortest cap, as well as being careful to avoid damaging the nib, I have also to be sure that the tip does not touch the cap even slightly. Lesson learned... Thanks again for the tips (and the patience with my very basic questions).

This is indeed something to be cautious of. I have an M150 Bols demonstrator and when you put certain M2xx nibs in it, you can see that some simply do not clear when capped. Some do and it all comes down to how deeply seated the nib and feed are in the collar. I choose not to risk it.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan