What Model Onoto Is This?

chunya

I've just picked up this Onoto, which is in a bit of a sad state I'm afraid, and will need quite a bit of work, but I can't seem to identify what model it is.

As the photos show, it has a 9ct De La Rue overlay hallmarked for 1937 ... when they introduced the Magna, but this is quite a small pen, only 103mm capped and 150mm posted. and it has a 3 / st nib.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance

fpn_1526388029__dsc08796.jpg

fpn_1526388067__dsc08797.jpg

fpn_1526388099__dsc08798.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chunya

• bbs

• soapytwist

• Methersgate

Not sure which model, but there is a similar-looking pen and case in the original Lambrou book that was presented to George VI.

"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days

Not sure which model, but there is a similar-looking pen and case in the original Lambrou book that was presented to George VI.

Wouldn't it be sweet if they were one and the same ..... :)

Edited by chunya

• 1 month later...

Well, several weeks down the line and I've still not managed to discover what model this is, or get any further with it.

It will need stripping down and servicing, not a problem as I know a restorer who will do a great job, but the main issue is the damage to a small area of the gold overlay on the section.

I did contact Onoto and asked them if they recognised the model and also if they could point me in the direction of someone who could repair/replace the overlay on the section; they've recently reissued their gold overlay pens so I was hopeful. Unfortunately they were surprisingly unhelpful (I don't mean that in a nasty way), they just passed my letter onto an Onoto expert they use who could not help me at all.

Several visits to local jewellers and goldsmiths, as well as emails to a dozen more didn't produce a single one who would take it on.

If it's going to be impossible to repair then one consideration is to remove the overlay from the section, alternatively (and this is where knowing the model would be useful) find a replacement section (obviously without the overlay ... that would be too much to hope for).

fpn_1529488666__dsc08849.jpg

Edited by chunya

Something very strange has happened there.

I think the pen may be a Minor. I am guessing that the nib has the number "22" half buried in the section.

I presume you've tried Henry Simpole re the repair? Nice looking pen, hope you manage to get it back to full glory.

Edited by bbs

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

I presume you've tried Henry Simpole re the repair? Nice looking pen, hope you manage to get it back to full glory.

To be honest, like so many others, I imagine, I've admired his work for a long time now, but hadn't realised that he undertook repairs; so thank you for suggesting him and I've already sent him a message.

Be warned he may no longer be doing repairs. He's officially closed up his shop and retired due to ongoing ill health (I believe).

Be warned he may no longer be doing repairs. He's officially closed up his shop and retired due to ongoing ill health (I believe).

Hi dapperman,

I was very pleasantly surprised to receive a response from Henry within 20 minutes. I don't know what he can do but he has agreed to take a look at it for me. Even if he only has a replacement un-overlaid section then that will be something. Maybe he has a little time on his hands.Hopefully he is in better health ...... I gave up my lecturing job almost three years ago as I knew if I continued it would drive me into an early grave; nowadays I feel so much happier and healthier.

Really glad to hear that Henry got back to you. All I knew was that his 'shop' had gone and ill health was forcing him to retire (from an earlier thread on this forum) so am delighted to hear that he is still active.

I have no idea how that damage could have occured? Here's hoping that a fix is in the pipeline, it's a great looking pen.

Good luck.