Pilot Myu 701

baldjedi

Saw a picture of the 701 a couple of days ago and have decided i need one of these pens in my life :)

Just looking for some guidance on what sort of price i should be looking to pay for a good clean one, even better if it was unused (NOS).

Would the best price be found on a Japanese auction site or somewhere else?

Any help appreciated..

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MomoShinChan

• baldjedi

• alfredop

• CS388

I just bought one on eBay Italy, I do not know why, but I was the only bidder so as I obtained it at the starting price of about 150E. (a good price in my opinion). I am now anxiously waiting its arrival :).

I think that it is better if you search not only in Yahoo Japan, because sometimes good occasion can also be found in Occident.

Alfredo

From the auction photos conditions seemed to be good, we will see better when it arrive.

Alfredo

If Pilot bring this back for its 100th Anniversary collection, they will definitely sell like hotcake.

Have there been any hints from Pilot that they would be bringing out an anniversary version or just speculation?

To answer my own original question, searching over the past few weeks there have been several unused 701's that have sold for around 20,000 yen (£135, $182) on the japanese auction site. I guess this is the best way to get one as they appear to be cheaper than those listed on ebay..

I am really skeptical of Japanese auction sites as they do not have any forms of buyer(seller?) protection whatsoever. However, man oh man, this pen sure is pretty!

The pen is arrived, and I would say that it is in very good condition. Here there are two photos (the striped one was already in my collection):

7MJjyrt.jpg

91QP1ad.jpg

Alfredo

I am really skeptical of Japanese auction sites as they do not have any forms of buyer(seller?) protection whatsoever. However, man oh man, this pen sure is pretty!

Been burned a few times and more often surprised with quality and pricing. Overall, if one is a regular buyer they should come out ahead in the long run.

Like any auction, ebay included, caveat emptor, let the buyer be aware. However, every precaution should be taken. Try translating the description with two different translation softwares as nuances are not always translated well. Enlarge photographs. Snip and paste somewhere if necessary. Check how many positive sales have been made by the seller. See hat else they re selling. If they are regular pen person, that may be a good sign. From experience, antique dealers are often good sellers. There are clues to better transactions.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

Been burned a few times and more often surprised with quality and pricing. Overall, if one is a regular buyer they should come out ahead in the long run.

Like any auction, ebay included, caveat emptor, let the buyer be aware. However, every precaution should be taken. Try translating the description with two different translation softwares as nuances are not always translated well. Enlarge photographs. Snip and paste somewhere if necessary. Check how many positive sales have been made by the seller. See hat else they re selling. If they are regular pen person, that may be a good sign. From experience, antique dealers are often good sellers. There are clues to better transactions.

Haven't buy anything off any Japanese auction sites yet and it been a few years since I bought something from eBay so can't really comment much but IIRC eBay have many tools to protect both buyer and seller from scam and fraud.

The pen is arrived, and I would say that it is in very good condition. Here there are two photos (the striped one was already in my collection):

7MJjyrt.jpg

91QP1ad.jpg

Alfredo

looks like you got yourself a good deal there :)

excellent advice and that's exactly what i am doing..

You can occasionally get good prices on eBay. There are some Japanese sellers who resell MYU 701 and 500 fountain pens. Sometimes the bidding pool is competitive, other times not as much. Hit or miss. Occasionally a person in the UK or USA will let one go on eBay and can be had for even a little less if used. These pens are very resilient and hold up well over very long periods of time and use.

The M90 seems to have been a hit. It's hard to find them. I'm hoping PILOT might consider issuing an M100!

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

You can occasionally get good prices on eBay. There are some Japanese sellers who resell MYU 701 and 500 fountain pens. Sometimes the bidding pool is competitive, other times not as much. Hit or miss. Occasionally a person in the UK or USA will let one go on eBay and can be had for even a little less if used. These pens are very resilient and hold up well over very long periods of time and use.

The M90 seems to have been a hit. It's hard to find them. I'm hoping PILOT might consider issuing an M100!

I surely hope so! If they just take my money anyway then I want the pen really soon!

Have there been any hints from Pilot that they would be bringing out an anniversary version or just speculation?

To answer my own original question, searching over the past few weeks there have been several unused 701's that have sold for around 20,000 yen (£135, $182) on the japanese auction site. I guess this is the best way to get one as they appear to be cheaper than those listed on ebay..

Which Japanese auction sites? I started looking at the Myu a couple weeks ago on eBay and most of these in good shape go for over $200.

I don't understand that auction site, but I guess if you know what you're doing, it would work the same as the more familiar sites?

There's currently one on ebay• with over 1 day left at around £80 - but, of course, it's the last few seconds which count on ebay, when the snipers' bids come in.

I was the same as you: I had to have one! Eventually got one (dated February 1972) for circa £120, nearly ten years ago (so they've always been a bit pricey!) No regrets whatsoever. It's a work of art - and it will write all day long without missing a beat! As well as the sleek looks, I like the way it transforms into a small pocket pen, when capped.

Good luck

*No affiliation and always caveat emptor. Here's the link.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Myu-701-PILOT-Fountain-Pen-Nib-F-1981s-Japan-Vintage/123141277520?hash=item1cabcac750:g:xcUAAOSwOGFa~s-n

Theres an even cheaper one on the bay right now but it looks a little beat up. If you dont mind a couple dings this could be a steal.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253624180113

Seems to have ended. I'm not sure how that could be repaired?

Seller mentions the possibility of 3D printing a new feed, but I'd think that'd be easier said than done?

Not sure what the feeds are made of, but mine always looks wet (but isn't) and seems semi translucent.

Feed are usually made out of plastic and ebonite (basically rubber). I bet that the Myu use ebonite feed as ebonite is native to Japan.
3D printing could certainly be done but I don't know how you will ensure ink flow with it tho

Feed are usually made out of plastic and ebonite (basically rubber). I bet that the Myu use ebonite feed as ebonite is native to Japan.

3D printing could certainly be done but I don't know how you will ensure ink flow with it tho

The Myu feed is plastic...