What's With The Lamy 2000's Sweet Spot? Is It A Deal Breaker?

energeeon

Hi, so I'm quite new to fountain pens and want to get a higher end fountain pen, namely the LAMY 2000. I've bought a relatively cheap fountain pen a while ago (Metropolitan)

However, I've heard stories about the LAMY 2000 and it's ridiculously small sweet spot and since I'm new to fountain pens, I don't believe my grip is as good as many of you here and might have trouble adjusting to it. That being said, when I look up recommendations for a high end pen that's less than $200, the LAMY 2000 comes up the most. I'm just not sure whether or not this is a deal breaker, so I want some advice.

I plan to get an Extra Fine, so the sweet spot might be a bit larger than say, a Fine. Is this a huge difference?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Glenn-SC

• sirgilbert357

• pajaro

• Twister292

My Lamy 2000 is a medium and it is ever so slightly stubbish. Not enough to see any real line variation, but it doesn't feel quite like the rounded ball on a regular Lamy nib (Studio, Safari, etc). I don't really have any issues with the sweet spot, but it is noticeable if I get sloppy with my form. And the nib will still write, it just loses the glassy smooth feel until I'm back in the sweet spot. If you hold your pen at roughly a 45 degree angle, you will likely be fine, as that seems to be the angle my nib prefers. Some people tend to rotate the pen as they write across a page though, and this change of orientation can cause issues with staying in the sweet spot on certain nibs. I've learned not to rotate the pen and I mostly have my L2k to thank for that lesson honestly, LOL.

As a side note, if you know the difference between arm writing and finger writing, then you'll do better with pens that have sweet spots if you have good arm writing form. The pen stays relatively constant in angle and orientation with good arm writing form, unless I'm misunderstanding the technique. It's something I aspire to be good at eventually, but I'm terrible at it currently.

I'm not sure how the fine or even EF L2k nibs compare in terms of sweet spot sensitivity though, so stick around to see others chime in. I feel like Brian Goulet did a video on the Lamy 2000's sweet spot at one point. You might go to Gouletpens.com and search the videos to see if you can find anything helpful.

Edit: TL:DR -- You'll probably be fine, just buy it. It can't be a deal breaker because the L2k has been around forever and still sells really well.

Edited by sirgilbert357

I have a 2000 with EF nib...no notable sweet spot at all. It had to be pried out of my hands so I could clean it and give it a well-deserved rest. ;)

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

i have a lamy 2000 with a broad nib. Mine has a very small sweet spot indeed. it is like writing with a stub nib without having the "advantage" of line variation (some lamy broad nibs have some line variation. mine does not). It is quite weird and i am still not get used to it. It is very smooth as soon as you are in the sweet spot area. All in all, i consider it as a drawback since i can not write very fast with it, so for me it is not the best way for an everyday writer. In general, i like this pen a lot and i am going to keep it for other reasons. If i had to keep one pen for everyday writer it would not be it though.

I have a 2000 with EF nib...no notable sweet spot at all. It had to be pried out of my hands so I could clean it and give it a well-deserved rest. ;)

Exactly my experience as well, EF nib is the best I have used on any pen. It is the only one which I can't sell from my collection

I have two lamy 2000s one with F and another with EF. I love both and had no issues using them. The first was F from 2013 which used to write too broad to my liking so I ground it myself to the width I like ie nearly EF. The EF is relatively new but it is by far my most favorite pen ootb.

I have a Lamy 2000 medium with a generous sweet spot. From my experience, I expect a fine nib to have a small sweet spot, and EF even smaller.

Overall, the L2K is a great "full-priced" fountain pen. (Anything much more expensive tends toward glitz)

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Sweet spots get smaller not larger as you get finer.

I think you'd be well-advised to try out the Lamy 2000 you're thinking of buying before you part with the cash. I'm one of those who love the look of the Lamy 2000 but have never been able to get along with one. You, however, might well find it to be ideal for your style of writing. But you won't know until you try it. I would also expect an EF to be sensitive to the lubricity of the ink you use.

I have three 2Ks with EF nibs (macrolon, steel, amber); all three write differently. One has a marked sweet spot and writes like a Sailor (considered by many to be the best nib manufacturer); the others range from buttery smooth to brush-like. They're all from different years; I don't know what the current production looks like. In any case, all three are amazing.

If you still have doubts, order from Nibsmith (no affiliation) - he'll tailor the factory nib to your specs.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I have a Lamy 2000 EF that my wife got me as a Christmas gift: it writes phenomenally, though closer to a western F and very wet. I only notice the sweet spot in the sense that if I am careful with the angle I hold it to paper, it gets GLASSY smooth. Otherwise it has some feedback, but I actually prefer that, so I have no complaints about it. Writes well regardless.

I would agree that if you can try one in person that is best. If not I think youll be fine, and if nothing else a great pen with a sweet spot will teach you good form.

Good luck!

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

My Medium has a noticeable sweet spot, noticeable as in as mentioned before "when you get off it".

There is a noticeable drag when I get off the spot.

PS A bad nib is a bad nib, not a "teachable moment." One shouldn't have to change your writing style or grip or color of your hair or anything else to make a pen work for you. You need to find or modify a pen that works for the way you write.

Edited by Glenn-SC

The L2K does have a sweet spot but if you intend to use it exclusively you get use to it and wont notice it after a while. Its a great writer and the squarish nib tip gives some character lacking in a boring round nib. There is a reason the L2K has been around since the 60s and is still Lamys most popular pen, and is for many their absolute favourite pen.

Edited by max dog

I've never noticed a sweet spot on either of my 2000s. I have one with an EF nib and the other is a BB. Both write without hesitation the moment they touch the page.

My Medium has a noticeable sweet spot, noticeable as in as mentioned before "when you get off it".

There is a noticeable drag when I get off the spot.

PS A bad nib is a bad nib, not a "teachable moment." One shouldn't have to change your writing style or grip or color of your hair or anything else to make a pen work for you. You need to find or modify a pen that works for the way you write.

I think you might be referencing my comments.

I would agree a bad nib is a bad nib. But a nib with a sweet spot, or one that just works best when held a certain way isn't automatically a bad nib. That would make all stubs bad...and obliques...you have to hold them how they write best.

But before I got my L2k I don't think I even knew what "rotating a pen" during writing meant. So, in that way, it "taught" me something I didn't already realize. I think my rotating habit was due to excessive movement with my fingers and anchoring my wrist bone to the paper as I write a line. I do much better if I let my wrist "float"...

I did not say, or imply, that specialty nibs (I.e. stubs or obliques) were bad.

But if I need to hold a normal nib (F, M, B etc.) at a specific angle of elevation to the paper, to a specific degree of rotation or have to completely change my writing style (e.g. write from my shoulder) than either that pen is not made for me or it needs to be fixed. Change your pen, dont make the pen change you.

If a nib has a small sweet spot that matches your writing style, great. If a nib has a small sweet spot that doesnt work for your hand, fix it or off it.

Edited by Glenn-SC

Mine is an xf and does have a sweet spot, but I have no problem with writing with it. Hooded nibs take a little getting used to so that you grip it with the nib turned right so you stay in the sweet spot. The 2000 is easier than a Parker 51 xf to keep turned right. So as stated by others, if you can, try one before you buy.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Try before you buy! Mine drove me crazy. Sold it at a loss but many times I wanted to throw it across the street in frustration.

I did not say, or imply, that specialty nibs (I.e. stubs or obliques) were bad.

But if I need to hold a normal nib (F, M, B etc.) at a specific angle of elevation to the paper, to a specific degree of rotation or have to completely change my writing style (e.g. write from my shoulder) than either that pen is not made for me or it needs to be fixed. Change your pen, dont make the pen change you.

If a nib has a small sweet spot that matches your writing style, great. If a nib has a small sweet spot that doesnt work for your hand, fix it or off it.

While the Lamy nib certainly isn't what I would call a "speciality" nib (in that we agree, I think), I do think of it as a little different than the average F, M, B ball nib. It's not for everyone, that's true...and I would tend to agree that you should change the pen, not your writing style.

I guess I don't feel like I've really *had* to change my writing style just for the L2k though. I'm now just more aware of the rotation thing and have largely eliminated it. My handwriting has improved incrementally because of the change too, so I think it's actually done me a favor. That's all I was saying.

Edited by sirgilbert357

Find one to write with if you're worried about it. I have both F and EF versions, and never have had to think about it. The nibs are tiny, but I haven't found it a hindrance at all. Beautiful pen to use and hold. Looks great, and you don't have to baby it. The Makrolon (IMO) looks better with use.

If my Lamy 2000 with an EF nib has a sweet spot, I have not noticed. It just writes great all the time.