The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Esterbrook Relief No7 - Info?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mikey_abz

mikey_abz

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:50

Good morning,

I was given this pen and I wanted to find some more information about it (age, value etc) is not in the best condition as you can see.

The cap has a crack and is missing the clip, main body is in ok condition although Im unsure of the internals as I'm not sure how it operates. The Nib has the r.h.s tine bend down, I suspect this could be quickly fixed however I'm not confident to do it (as I can be heavy handed ha). 

Would it be worth restoring it, if so who should I speak with?

Sorry for the questions, ignorance, I normally buy new pens this is my first vintage (although I was given a few old parkers at same time).

Mike :D

EBR3_1.jpg

Other1.jpg

nib2.jpg

esterbrooknib.jpg

OTHER1A.jpg

EBR1_1.jpg

EBR2_1.jpg

Edited by mikey_abz, 14 May 2018 - 09:22.

Sponsored Content

#2 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

All I ever wanted was a nice pen to write with...

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:51

Well, the pen is a button-filler, similar to Parker's Jack-knife and Duofold models.  You unscrew the black blind cap from the end of the barrel, revealing a button that as you push it in, compresses a sac inside.  Release the button and the sac expands to draw ink.  First, verify the sac is OK/replace the sac, by removing the section (carefully).

Looks similar to the Relief #2S, which has only a single band on the cap.

Other than that, it seems very rare to me, as this is the first I've heard of the model, for what that's worth. 

Definitely worth restoring.

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

#3 mikey_abz

mikey_abz

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:58

Well, the pen is a button-filler, similar to Parker's Jack-knife and Duofold models.  You unscrew the black blind cap from the end of the barrel, revealing a button that as you push it in, compresses a sac inside

I've tried unscrewing the back section but its not moving very far/if at all - don't want to over do it incase it breaks.

Cap looks like Relief Model 4-L (thin, thick, thin bands). The material used on the barrel end and cap finial is like a matt (vulcanized rubber??) not glossy/lacquer material.

Edited by mikey_abz, 14 May 2018 - 09:37.

#4 mikey_abz

mikey_abz

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2018 - 15:20

Well it has now been sent away for restoration. Will show more photographs once I've received it back.

Edited by mikey_abz, 20 May 2018 - 15:24.

#5 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,406 posts
  • Flag:

Posted Yesterday, 23:25

If Paul says its the first he's ever seen, that really means something. After all, he literally wrote the book. 

Congrats! One of these relief pens is on my bucket list. Hope you share "after" photos and how it writes. 

Andrew

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

#6 eckiethump

eckiethump

Jack's the lad

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts

Posted Today, 18:35

I have the pen and hopefully the clip that fits,looking forward to getting this back to working order, back in work shop on a couple of days.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

Sponsored Content

|