• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hobiwan

• inkstainedruth

• gweimer1

• JotterAddict62

Are these for real (having just come from the thread where someone was looking for a MB replica or fake... :huh:)? I ask because all the listings seem to say stuff like "J 'type'", "Visumaster 'type'" -- and that seems to be odd phrasing.

The blue Visumaster is pretty. But at this point I'm on the hunt for pens with specific nibs, and those specific nibs are for the most part 9xxx series (I want to get all of them so I can figure out what I like and don't like, and then pare down the stash -- Esties being kinda like potato chips in that you can't just have one. Of course I'm ALSO looking for the rare-as-hens-teeth 8440 nib (to see if a superfine nib would be fine enough for my husband's preferences to put on the red J I gave him a few years ago, in case a 9550 isn't extra fine ENOUGH.... They come up occasionally on eBay, and every time they go for WAAAY more than I can afford (well there was that lot of pens last year that Gary Weimer got -- and when he told me that he'd done a best offer I was looking at him going "You're KILLING me here!" :wallbash:).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Are these for real ....

Yes, Ruth, they are. I was in touch with the seller, Benjamin Mawhorter ( benmawhorter@gmail.com ) a year or so ago, and managed to procure a few, after receiving a bunch of pictures from him. (BTW, he authorized publication of his email address). I think he's just using the "-type" phrase to emphasize that the pens are not ones that made it into production.

It seems from the pens I looked at, the Company was prototyping a variety of plastic mixes (including the one for the VMs), the styling for the J-pens, various types of gadget-fillers, desk pen models and mixes, AND the infamous 6668 conical-like nib shown on Brian's website, sometime around 1938 thru the mid '40s. Now that's just my guestimate based on what I've seen. As Ben continues to list them, you'll see stamping and labels on some items indicating different production methods, plastics, etc.

I'd say keep an eye out for his listings and you'll see some very interesting stuff.

I once was lucky enough to land a Parker prototype many years ago, and wondered then if Esterbrook ever did anything like that. I'm sure glad to find out they did.

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

Thanks - good to know. I've met Ben at both OPS and Triangle Pen Show, but of course didn't make the connection with the screen name.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Well, I never met him in person, but he has an excellent reputation among the penworld "elders" I know.

Oops, I was wrong on date estimation. Here's a model they developed in 1949 and 1950 and so stamped.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-PRE-PRODUCTION-ESTERBROOK-FOUNTAIN-PEN-SHOP-MODELS/263686507991?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

These are really cool! Thanks for the alert. I think I'll just sit and watch the fun.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Ben had a few others in Ohio that were truly awesome. The ones I saw looked nothing like any Esterbrook we've ever seen, and I *REALLY* wanted to have the money for a couple of them.

Edited by gweimer1

Well, here's your chance. Looks like they've been consigned to "the Market" with no reserve, so the pen-collecting world will decide. A good deal may be had.

Best Regards
Paul

– Albert Einstein

I wonder what they will go for.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Are these for real (having just come from the thread where someone was looking for a MB replica or fake... :huh:)? I ask because all the listings seem to say stuff like "J 'type'", "Visumaster 'type'" -- and that seems to be odd phrasing.

The blue Visumaster is pretty. But at this point I'm on the hunt for pens with specific nibs, and those specific nibs are for the most part 9xxx series (I want to get all of them so I can figure out what I like and don't like, and then pare down the stash -- Esties being kinda like potato chips in that you can't just have one. Of course I'm ALSO looking for the rare-as-hens-teeth 8440 nib (to see if a superfine nib would be fine enough for my husband's preferences to put on the red J I gave him a few years ago, in case a 9550 isn't extra fine ENOUGH.... They come up occasionally on eBay, and every time they go for WAAAY more than I can afford (well there was that lot of pens last year that Gary Weimer got -- and when he told me that he'd done a best offer I was looking at him going "You're KILLING me here!" :wallbash:).

Hi Ruth,

I was just listing my Esterbrook nibs and noting the ones I am missing and might like to acquire.

9128 EF Flexible

9788 Shaded Writing

9284 Signature Stub

9314-B & 9314-F Stubs.

I have a 9048 and 2048 Shaded Writing and a 2284 Signature Stub. I also have the 9314-M Medium Stub. Do you have any of those 4 listed above, and how do you like them? Have you ever found a 2xxx that you preferred over a 9xxxx? Do you know how the 9788 differs from the 2048 & 9048?

I'd appreciate your thoughts and experience.

Bob

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

I need to learn more about these pens and models, colors and nibs so I know what to look out for.

Edited by JotterAddict62

Considering most if not all of these are pre-production, prototype kind of pens, there's probably not much to know. You can compare them to production models. Hobwein's Esterbrook book is required reading, as is esterbrook.net for that comparison.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Well I see that 3 of these Esterbrooks protos sold for $175 - $190.

Well I see that 3 of these Esterbrooks protos sold for $175 - $190.

The ones I saw, including a burgundy stripe with a sterling silver cap, were a LOT more than that. One of the twist filler pens last night went over $400.

The copper twist-filler just hammered at $455; consistent price for those over the years.

Best Regards
Paul

– Albert Einstein

Wow. Way too rich for my blood. I'll stick to the mackerel J series pens. Maybe a Pastel if the price is right (they're generally not) and has a nib I want. I don't even like the Icicles, although I know that a lot of people go "Oooh aaah" over them.

Collectibles can get expensive. Good to see these commanding a decent price, but look at some of the Parker 51 lots selling currently. I don't see many Phaetons on sale.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Andrew thanks for your great reporting

Ben has worked hard to reach this level in the pen community

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you . Hug your loved ones today

Collectibles can get expensive. Good to see these commanding a decent price, but look at some of the Parker 51 lots selling currently. I don't see many Phaetons on sale.

Which is why I'm glad I'm not a c-worder. The only pens I have that don't see use are the ones I haven't gotten repaired yet. And that includes a NOS Sheaffer Snorkel which still had the nib sticker on it: it got repaired, and then it got used. The end.

YMMV