Hello From The Uk :)

John545

Hey Guys!

I had a little trouble getting my account going, but I'm glad I'm able to post now :)

I have been using fountain pens since I was about 13, although I only became seriously into fountain pens around two years back, thanks to youtube channels like Goulet Pen Co, sbrebrown and the pen habit (very sad to see Matt end the pen habit, but wish him all the best). I got a Twsbi Diamond 580 AL, and 2 years later I still love that pen. So much so that I recently got another in Rose red.

I'm currently a second-year mathematics student, right in the middle of my exams and I've decided on the Pelikan M805 Stresseman as my reward pen for when my exams are over in a few weeks. That thing looks like a fantastic pen, but if you guys had any better suggestions for a pen with the best writing experience for a similar price please let me know :)

John

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dapprman

• John545

• Eoghan2009

• Madeline

Welcome to FPN! Great people and good information here the 805 Stresseman is a very popular choice among Pelikan fans that I have not tried (dont yet own a Pelikan), but if you like it, go for it!

EDIT: Just noticed that one of our members has a brand new 805 Stresseman for sale at a very reasonable price ($350 + $20 shipping) - if a F nib is your preference, might be worth a look, and you might be able to find a second nib if not for a total cost of a new 805 Stresseman, though not sure if prices are lower for you in the UK. (No affiliation with the seller, just know how it is to buy nice pens on a budget!)

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/classifieds/item/49838-pelikan-m805-f-nib-brand-new/

Good luck on your exams.

Edited by flyingpenman

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

Welcome to FPN, John! You have landed in a great place. And hooray for your decision to get a Pelikan! When I was in school I spent a lot of free time hanging over the pen counter at the bookstore, admiring those gorgeous fountain pens, especially the Pelikans. But their price tags held me back and it would be many years before I finally bought one. So glad you are not going to wait!

& best of luck on your finals!

Moderation in everything, including moderation.

--Mark Twain

Welcome to FPN and if you're near London - just to let you know the London Fountain Pen Club meets on the first Saturday of every month (except October due to the Pen Show) at the Biershenke near Liverpool St Station - 12:00 start - you'll not be the youngest by a few years at least.

Welcome John,

I used a parker 25 for all my exams. Hope they are over soon

Welcome to FPN! Great people and good information here the 805 Stresseman is a very popular choice among Pelikan fans that I have not tried (dont yet own a Pelikan), but if you like it, go for it!

EDIT: Just noticed that one of our members has a brand new 805 Stresseman for sale at a very reasonable price ($350 + $20 shipping) - if a F nib is your preference, might be worth a look, and you might be able to find a second nib if not for a total cost of a new 805 Stresseman, though not sure if prices are lower for you in the UK. (No affiliation with the seller, just know how it is to buy nice pens on a budget!)

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/classifieds/item/49838-pelikan-m805-f-nib-brand-new/

Good luck on your exams.

Thanks for pointing that out! I'll take a look, although I'm looking ideally for a medium nib, and I think it's cheaper for me to buy a new one over here. (Cultpens currently have it listed at £300 which I think I'd a pretty good price)

Welcome to FPN, John! You have landed in a great place. And hooray for your decision to get a Pelikan! When I was in school I spent a lot of free time hanging over the pen counter at the bookstore, admiring those gorgeous fountain pens, especially the Pelikans. But their price tags held me back and it would be many years before I finally bought one. So glad you are not going to wait!

& best of luck on your finals!

I wish I had a shop nearby to me that sold fountain pens so I could go and look at them all! Right now I'm spending way too much time on YouTube watching pen/ink videos lol

I'm glad you like Pelikans too! I've never tried writing with one, but I've heard only good things about them, and when I was looking around for my "next level" pen, the m805 stresseman really stood out to me. The price tag is quite high for sure, but I've been working really hard this year, so I think I can justify it :D

Welcome to FPN and if you're near London - just to let you know the London Fountain Pen Club meets on the first Saturday of every month (except October due to the Pen Show) at the Biershenke near Liverpool St Station - 12:00 start - you'll not be the youngest by a few years at least.

Thanks! Sadly I'm not near London, I'm in Lancashire.

That sounds really awesome though, and I'd definitely love to come along some time if I'm in London! I don't really know anyone else into fountain pens, so joining a fountain pen club would be great!

Thanks for pointing that out! I'll take a look, although I'm looking ideally for a medium nib, and I think it's cheaper for me to buy a new one over here. (Cultpens currently have it listed at £300 which I think I'd a pretty good price)

That's a good price - and cheaper than the 2nd hand one here by the time you take postage, duty and customs in to account. Pelikan Pens (part of Niche Pens) have them for £350 and Writing Desk, £340.

Thanks! Sadly I'm not near London, I'm in Lancashire.

That sounds really awesome though, and I'd definitely love to come along some time if I'm in London! I don't really know anyone else into fountain pens, so joining a fountain pen club would be great!

Where abouts ? I'm originally from Birkdale, Southport.

Welcome to our little corner of the universe from a pen user in San Diego.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hello and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town, South Africa.

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Hello and Welcome to the FPN Family :)

I hope that you find your pen at a good price