Papier Plume Mardi Gras

visvamitra

Papier Plume is s stationery shop situated in the heart of the French Quarter in New Orleans. The company began its business in 2001 however the shop was opened in 2007. From what I see on google maps the shop looks quite nice.

fpn_1458503073__papierplume_shop_.jpg

Some time ago the company started to offer fountain pen inks. They're supposed to be hand poured and bottled right in the shop. The inks are water based and described as french inks (imported? anyone knows french private label maker?). At the moment the inks are available in 15 colors and are sold in three bottles: small (15 ml), medium (30 ml), big (50 ml):

fpn_1458503263__papierplume_shop_bottles

Special edition inks are sold in 1 oz bottles with the cap covered in wax(?)

fpn_1526190707__mardigras_bottle_1.jpg

fpn_1526190718__nardigras_bottle_1.jpg

Mardi Gras Indians Purple is a plesant medium dark purple with no sheen. The flow is average and the ink feels dry. It'll be pleasant to use in wet pens but in dry ones the line lacks charisma.

fpn_1526190999__mardigras_is.jpg

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

Software ID

fpn_1526191135__mardigraf_fnn_3.jpg

Color range

fpn_1526191199__mardigraf_fnn_4.jpg

Field Notes, Aurora 88, medium nib

fpn_1526191043__mardigraf_fnn_1.jpg

fpn_1526191062__mardigraf_fnn_2.jpg

Field Notes, Aurora 88, medium nib

fpn_1526191083__mardigraf_fn_1.jpg

fpn_1526191103__mardigras_ps_2.jpg

Copy paper, Jinhao x750, medium nib

fpn_1526191247__mardigras_ps_1.jpg

Copy paper, Platinum Preppy, 0.3 nib

fpn_1526191322__mardigras_c_1.jpg

fpn_1526191342__mardigras_c_2.jpg

Water resistance
fpn_1526191301__mardigras_h2o.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• visvamitra

• namrehsnoom

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

• sanphoemo

Top Posters In This Topic

Houses in New Orleans have lovely colorful verandas. Love love love.

Anyway. Kind of subdued violet for when you don't want to stab yourself or the correspondent's retina. The name's not a perfect match in my view. "Mardi Gras" reminds me of a bright violet such as R&K Solferino. "The Day After Mardi Gras" would have been a more fitting name for this color IMO.

It seems to fare well enough on absorbant paper, that's a point in favor.

(By the way, the orange of the Field Notes' squares is eye-searing, oh my goodness. How about no.)

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Nice review! Personally I like the keyed-down colour of this ink. The dryness and subpar lubrication is a recurring problem with the PP inks, especially in non-wet pens and F/M nib sizes. A pity...

Another nice and informative ink review from you!Thanks!

Looks ok, but it's not my type of violet, sort of greyish to my eyes and on my tablet. Subdued is a good description for it and it may have a wider range of use than a more brilliant colour.

Edited by sanphoemo