Question About Lamy Warranty

Ink_Blob

I brought an extra fine Lamy Safari about three months ago and noticed right out of the box that it was scratchy to the point of ripping out paper fibers onto the tines. Thinking that it was probably due to the pen not being broken in yet, I didn't go to the shop to get it changed since the warranty card said there was a two year guarantee against manufacturing defects.

Recently, I finally went back since the issue has not gone away and they told me nibs were not under the two year warranty. Apparently I had to go back within three days to get them changed. Is this really the case for Lamy? Or a case of the retailer being shady?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ink_Blob

• RMN

• jchch1950

• Chrissy

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that Lamy will help you even if the retailer doesn't want to do so. :) However, maybe taking 3 months to reach a decision would influence many retailers to not want to exchange a pen nib. -_-

Alright, I see. Thanks guys!

Send the pen to the distributor. They will take care of the problem. The guarantee can't be3 days.

I contacted the local distributor and they ​said that nibs can only be changed within three days >.>

Also, yeah... thinking about it, taking three months to go back does seem kinda fishy in the eyes of the retailer now that I think about it.

Edited by Ink_Blob

Here's the distributor's reply, for the curious:

"With regards to the sentence on the warranty card, all LAMY nibs are not covered under the warranty. We are only allowed to change your nibs if you came back to us within 3 days after your purchase, any later than that we do not change the nibs, but we will encourage our customers to purchase a new nib instead. Hope this clarifies your doubt. "

Many brands offer a "free nib exchange" (often charging handling cost) only if the nib is "new".

Each brand will have it's own definition of new. For some brands that is visual, for some a time limit.

However, that is more for cases like, I bought the M, but on second thought I would rather have an F.

To exclude nibs that are obviously faulty seems strange. Then again, in 3 months many people manage to destroy an otherwise perfect nib.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

This seems like a good opportunity to learn how to adjust your nib yourself.

I'd second this. If this was concerning some pricey gold nib which is hard to adjust then by all means send it to the manufacturer, but given it's a Lamy steel nib...

If you have a loupe, you can fix the problem in about 3 mins very easily, by making sure the two tines are aligned.

And by the way, there is no such thing as a break-in period. If it's misaligned, it will always be scratchy no matter how long you write with it.

Edited by steve50

This seems like a good opportunity to learn how to adjust your nib yourself.

I think I'd do that when the warranty expires lol