Hi Folks Been Lurking

CheapSkate

After reading, reading and you guessed it reading some more I have joined.

I grew up with a italic fountain pen and being a left handed pen and what I believe now to be poor quality ink (cheapest rubbish available my parents would buy and zero maintenance) I HATED IT.

Being in Somerset UK I havent found anywhere that you can actually try before you buy- hence looking at piston fillers etc, Im dubious to buy a £50-100 plus pen.

My reason for wanting to get back into fountain pens is I feel my handwriting is vastly better with one and my son is interested.

Currently I have the cheapest and nastiest WH Smith fountain pen which I put a converter in and pelikan 4001 royal Blue. ( the nib is too fine and although I opened nib slightly, it still sounds scratchy.

I have a couple of Jinhao 159 which I like un posted, for size and weight.

I guess Im interested in a genuine fake clone at a disposable price which I can modify cheaply to find my Ideal nib and ink.

As left handed a fast drying ink with a sheen when dry appeals.

There is no way I can justify a £650 pen and particularly if I couldnt try it.

Currently looking at Lamy Vista, pilot vanishing point, lamy 2000

Or possibly a several Chinese clone / second hand pens which I can experiment with.

Regards

Dan

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CheapSkate

• OCArt

• Henricum_Tropen

• omarcenaro

Welcome to our little corner of the universe from a pen user in San Diego. If you like the Jinhao 159 look at the Kaigelu 316.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Welcome to fpn!

If your first italic was like mine, it slanted the wrong way for the way you hold pens. Not all leftys use a lefty italic.

It's possible to blow through a lot of money on cheap pens & modifying nibs. Consider setting a limit since it sounds like you want to get into the $100+ range in pens too.

For now consider a pilot metro, it will have a similar weight to the 159. The metro pens and nibs are fairly consistent in quality and come in F, M, a cursive italic. Nibs from a few other pilot pens fit.

If you're used to ballpoints or rollerballs, you may prefer an M nib.

Look for a pen club/meetup near you or a pen shop in a city and write a bit with some different pens.

eta !

Edited by cattar

Thank you for suggestions, I think a pen club would be great if there is such a thing locally.

I’m edging medium to broad nib / italic.

Last bank holiday I practised with a pad of paper and a glass of wine and found it relaxing to see my writing improve.

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Welcome to FPN! Good luck finding a good pen/ink combo - lots of good info on Chinese pens in the sub forum, and your listed interests are all great pens as well!

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

Thank you for warm welcome.

Bought a couple of pilot v disposable fountain pens for work, so far if they remain leak free I can see a fountain pen as Work pen on call out Work.

That and my son likes pilot v at six years old it may not be a bad choice as he cannot disassemble it and get ink everywhere.

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Hello and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town, South Africa.

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill

Welcome! You will find lots of great information here and many suggestions to expand your collection.

Cheers,

Ozzy

None of us knows how long he shall live or when his time will come. But soon all that will be left of our brief lives is the pride our children feel when they speak our names.