Lanbitou 3059 Vs Wing Sung 3008

old4570

Lanbitou 3059 VS Wing Sung 3008

I thought I would test 2 piston filler pens at the same time , I had no idea they would be so equally disappointing .

Both pens were hard starters , both pens were scratchy , both pens did not like CANTING left or right .

Neither pen cared much for writing inverted ..

Both pens would tear into the paper .

The wing did put more ink down .

Both pens BURPED , the Lanbitou more than the Wing .

The Lanbitou has a functioning piston lock while the Wing Sung has a (?) broken piston lock ( Non functional )

I dare say I now would consider both pens as parts donors , and I would not recommend either .. ( That's 2 bad 3008's for me out of 2 )

To date I have tried 4 Piston fillers and the only pen to impress is the 660 .

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• old4570

• testrider

• zubzub

• KB3K

My experience with the 3008 was much different. I found the pen to be free of the defects that you found and a good performer. Also, a narrative would have greatly enhanced your presentation by enabling you to impart much more information

Edited by k3eax

I have to agree with k3eax. I have three WS 3008s that I really enjoy. They write smooth, start every time, and are rock steady. I have had them for quite awhile (6 months) so maybe the newer batches are having problems.

The other 3008 has a non functioning piston ...

So I may pull the piston assembly out of the Lanbitou and put it into the other 3008 ..

My 660 Piston filler is a really nice pen , and I still have 4 other piston fillers to play with , so ? hopefully more than one piston filler that works .

My WS 3008 is the smoothest EF pen that I own so far. It always starts perfectly after sitting for days and the ink doesn't dry out inside the pen like the Noodler Ahab.

I just received a 3008 in the mail today. I’ve only written about a page with it, but I have been impressed with the nib. The piston lock on mine works fine. This is my first Wing Sung, but it won’t be the last. (Especially since I ordered a couple other models that are still in the mail)

Luck of the draw I guess ...

Reminds me of the gold old days playing with flashlights - was a real lottery !

No too worried about it .

Should LEGO that other 3008 now ...

So I opened up the 3008 with the bum piston and quite frankly it was broken / split / busted .. Right at the rubber piston the shaft had snapped ? ( Wow )

I put the piston assembly from the Lanbitou 3059 into the 3008 ( 2018 - 3008 ) ...

Actually , it is nice .. Everything is good except canting the pen right , then it becomes a paper biting monster ..

Keep the NIB horizontal or slightly canted left and it writes relatively smooth for a fine NIB ..

No signs of burping - Always nice .

Was not an easy starter ..

It's 00.10 Hours , and I have had a busy day , so I am leaving it here for now .

My Wing Sung 3008s are wonderful. IMO, they give the Wing Sung 698 a run for its money.
My Lanbitou 3059 SUCKED! It was absolute garbage. It barely wrote and skipped all the time. It had to be held at a fixed angle to write. I filled it up all the way with ink and managed to get one full use out of it because I didn't want to waste my ink. I don't plan on using it again.

I hate to think this but - I think most of these piston fillers come off the same production line .

So far all of mine have interchangeable parts - so whats a boy to think - except it might be as simple as pot luck !

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a 4-pack of EFs from Amazon for cheap. I'm impressed with how smooth the EF is. I did check the tines with a loupe before I inked it. Just needed a minor adjustment. I've got one loaded with Noodler's Kung Te Cheng. Testing to see how wet the nib stays after several days of non-use. So far it starts right up after three days. KTC has been a problem for me on most pens since it dries out very fast when capped. I'm liking these 3008s.

Favorite pen/ink pairings: Edison Brockton w/EF 14K gold nib and Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Visconti Pinanfarina w/EF chromium conical nib and Noodler's El Lawrence; Sheaffer Legacy w/18k extra fine inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Sheaffer PFM III fine w/14k inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Lamy 2000 EF with Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Franklin Christoph 65 Stablis w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and DeAtramentis Document Blue; Pilot Decimo w/18k fine nib and Pilot Blue Black; Franklin Christoph 45 w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and Noodler's Zhivago; Edison Brockton EF and Noodler's El Lawrence; TWSBI ECO EF with Noodler's Bad Green Gator.

I've also been very surprised at how well my 3008 writes... but I'm also surprised that after three fills it hasn't shattered. It feels very brittle. I also agree with the OP mention of there being no play at all in the piston, and will add that it is REALLY easy to accidentally undo the collar that holds the mechanism in place in the course of filling.

I think I'd be angry at it if it cost more than a Pilot V-Pen. But it costs less (at least where I am-- I can't get a V-Pen here for $3, shipping included), so I run it up to my "Grudging Admiration" shelf.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg