Man 100 Feed - Positioned Correctly?

AidenMark

After my Man 100 dumped ink everywhere for the 3rd or 4th time this week I decided to investigate what is going on.

Something looks strange to my inexpert eye (apart from the corrosion, obviously).

Does the position of the feed look correct in these photos?

Specifically, should that lip at the end of nib support be in the position it is in (with a gap between it and the section) or further back into the section?

post-140354-0-61056100-1525963845_thumb.png

post-140354-0-92963300-1525964964_thumb.png

Assuming adjustment is necessary how does the feed move into the section on the Man 100.

Is it a friction feed or a screw-in feed?

Edited by AidenMark

Less is More - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

Less is a Bore - Robert Venturi

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AidenMark

• Chrissy

• Left FPN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Force will hopefully come on here and give you the exact information you need to fix this as he has seen and handled these pens.

Meanwhile, I haven't seen any pictures of a Man 200 with the feed sticking out and leaving that much of a gap between it and the collar. I think it should be slightly further back into the section so you can't see that gap. I also believe they are screw threaded into the section. I may be wrong but I think the whole thing screws off at the gold plated collar. From where it is now, the feed needs to be pushed slightly further in.

According to the information that Force once gave me, the Man 200 has that flat feed while the larger Man 100 has a finned feed. So your feed looks like a Man 200 feed to me. Here's a good picture and another one

Thanks Chrissy! I managed to unscrew the feed at the collar and can now see what the problem with the ink seems to be - the modern Waterman converter I installed does not fit the feed properly and can loosen in the pen. Back to cartridges.

I would still be interested in learning about that gap at the collar though.

Yes, Man 200 section and having looked through my pictures your feed appears to be in the correct position.

The feed and nib slot into the block. The block has a specific internal shape whereby the nib fits into one area, the feed the other. Look for tell tale marks on the block that align with a part of the nib. Ensure they are reassembled to precisely the same position. The block assembly then screws into the grip. I use a loctite on the thread.

Yes, Man 200 section and having looked through my pictures your feed appears to be in the correct position.

I've only ever had one Man 200 that I borrowed from a friend and there wasn't a gap as big as that between the feed and the collar on that one. That gap would really annoy me so I'm glad it's not my pen. -_-

OP you need one of those Waterman converters with the metal screw thread on the end for your Man 200. :)

I've only ever had one Man 200 that I borrowed from a friend and there wasn't a gap as big as that between the feed and the collar on that one. That gap would really annoy me so I'm glad it's not my pen. -_-

OP you need one of those Waterman converters with the metal screw thread on the end for your Man 200. :)

He may well have one but it could be worn.

He may well have one but it could be worn.

Dear Chrissy and Force, thank you immensely for the information. Most helpful.

I don't in fact have the correct converter - this pen is a recent small-ads purchase - I borrowed the Waterman converter from my Hemisphere (hey it's a Waterman too) but clearly this does not fit in a stable way.

Are the screw thread converters still available from Waterman or will I need to source them 2nd hand?

Edited by AidenMark

Dear Chrissy and Force, thank you immensely for the information. Most helpful.

I don't in fact have the correct converter - this pen is a recent small-ads purchase - I borrowed the Waterman converter from my Hemisphere (hey it's a Waterman too) but clearly this does not fit in a stable way.

Are the screw thread converters still available from Waterman or will I need to source them 2nd hand?

You're welcome. :) Those with the screw thread ends aren't currently available from Waterman. You will need to source one on the 2nd hand market. Ebay is a possibility. :D I'm not sure if any of the US Waterman pen sellers might have some. :)

Just in case it puts the thread into perspective ...

On the trust but verify principle I measured the pen and, needless to say, Force and Chrissy are right. It is a Man 200, not a 100 as I originally thought.

I found a video from Tuzand that demonstrates building down the feed and nib as described by Force in #4. Try as I might I could not get the feed to move within the part the unscrews from the section but since merely unscrewing the feed holder helped diagnose the leaking ink problem I will probably leave it in peace for a while.

Also, I am not endorsing the use of plumbing pliers on the pen as seen in the video.

Here is my Man200 built up again

post-140354-0-11952800-1526022716_thumb.png

WOW he did not spend time lining up the parts. It takes me at least 5 minutes to get them aligned and I have to use magnification.

After soaking the assembly for an hour or so, I use a vice, 2 pine wood blocks (wooden pegs) and 2 flat blade screwdrivers to remove the feed/nib. This gives me much more control so as not to bend or twist the parts.

I would love to own either a Man 200 or 100 but the ones that are available for a reasonable pice always have damaged collars so I've given up looking. -_-

I got this one for 35Euros but as in your observation above the collar is corroded in two places and a previous owner removed a name engraving with a what appears to be a chainsaw - so it's ... er ... a slightly foxed edition.

It might take some weeks but it is very satisfying to get an old cast-aside pen up and running again.

On eBay-small-ads in Germany, there is a steady trickle of these pens sold as Waterman Allianz Edition Pens. The asking price is around 100E but open for negotiation. Unlike mine, they are in new-old-stock condition with boxes and converters.

At some point in the 80s, the big insurer must have commissioned a truckload of corporate gifts from Waterman which sat in boxes in the archive for 30 years. I guess someone bought a box in a clearance and now they are seeing the light of day.

Edited by AidenMark

WOW he did not spend time lining up the parts. It takes me at least 5 minutes to get them aligned and I have to use magnification.

LoL. I watched that bit a few times. Feed in the plumbing pliers and Whammm!