• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cyrille81

• Memorexx

• Michael R.

• Ghost Plane

Hi friends, today I went to a MB boutique and they told me that will be released this week an edition in hommage to James Dean.

Some news here (no picture from the pen): https://www.cmgworldwide.com/2015/05/25/james-dean-mont-blanc/

Strange for the release date. Great character is always released at the end of the year (around December) and I went to my reseller this morning and he showed me the MB catalog with all the new pens planned for this year and James Dean is planned for December. I got some info but as not yet announced by MB we can't discuss about it on the forum.

Strange for the release date. Great character is always released at the end of the year (around December) and I went to my reseller this morning and he showed me the MB catalog with all the new pens planned for this year and James Dean is planned for December. I got some info but as not yet announced by MB we can't discuss about it on the forum.

I thought we were okay to discuss, but no pictures?

Please do NOT post design details or photographs of Montblanc product releases before the official release including . Similar to the 2018 Writers Edition topic thread and the JFK special edition for this year thread, it's unsporting to spoil the surprise for people.

Posts or threads with revealing details about the design, or with photographs of the pen, before the official release will be removed.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

I was at my boutique today and purchased the new burgundy JFK and they showed me the James Dean pen mock up photos. The image quality was not that great in the MB book and I know that sometimes the final product turns out a bit different like what happened with the Miles Davis. Was told the James Dean would be a December release.

Edited by 888007888

I was at my boutique today and purchased the new burgundy JFK and they showed me the James Dean pen mock up photos. The image quality was not that great in the MB book and I know that sometimes the final product turns out a bit different like what happened with the Miles Davis. Was told the James Dean would be a December release.

Yes this is the book that my reseller showed me yesterday too and the photos quality was very bad and indeed there are sometimes difference with the final product. Don't remember the look of the special edition, the limited edition is not bad but I don't have special affinity with James Dean I don't think I will buy it.

Let me understand. We are prohibited in discussing details here, but MB boutiques can show their internal catalogues/information to clients? That's great.

Corporate logic. They can sue FPN and shut us down, but their own employees and franchisees can leak anything and everything with impunity.

Random question but I always wondered- Ghost Plane, why are you not one of our moderators?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: MB policies and B* etc

X: “This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put"

Y: "If you can't stand the heat, you must go out of the kitchen"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In reality: the majority stays silent coz as they can't be bothered.

So Montblanc aren't known for listening to what collectors like. Then they restrict discussion among collectors? :doh:

Corporate logic. They can sue FPN and shut us down, but their own employees and franchisees can leak anything and everything with impunity.

I can understand that the admin do not want to have problems with Montblanc, but there are no possibility that a forum can be shut down for a discussion about future product of a company. The entire Internet had been already shut down if this was the case.

Alfredo

Publishing copyrighted photos can make for an expensive legal battle. FPN is privately owned, doesn't make any profit so far as I understand, and can't really afford defending against corporate lawyers.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

If you don’t think lawsuits like this happen, do a search for #cockygate and see the lawsuits currently flying in publishing over 2 trademarks. Amazon started yanking books and readers reviews on the strength of one claim. Facebook shut down author pages and groups, costing sales. The costs and threats are real.

~ As a child, I didn't mind the wait for gifts to be opened.

For me, part of the fun at the Christmas season was waiting, wondering, letting anticipation build up.

That Montblanc remains committed to offering fine fountain pens, ballpoints, rollerballs, mechanical pencils, inks and leather accessories for pens is a blessing.

Their business model must be complex, meeting the needs of collectors, gift buyers and regular pen & ink writers in widely scattered markets around the globe.

Maintaining interest in fine fountain pens to the degree the sales justify regular releases is a fine art in an era when digital gimcrackery prevails.

If Montblanc's strategy encompasses a certain degree of discreet secrecy, with embargoes on public Internet posts of images of unannounced products, my life isn't adversely affected.

Sooner or later photos, descriptions and assorted pertinent details are made available along with the well-crafted products.

The enjoyment of speculation, hoping and waiting adds to the pleasure upon release. If that works for Montblanc's marketing, I don't object or feel constrained.

What I daily use for writing already more than satisfies me. Montblanc ingenuity, taste, and quality has brought considerable satisfaction to my writing desk.

That they keep the wraps on their upcoming releases, asking Fountain Pen Network to cooperate in maintaining the suspense, seems a small price to pay for each year's releases.

Others feel differently, which is entirely understandable. As for me, I'm at ease with forgoing instant news with images, enjoying the wait and the many posts discussing what might be coming.

Tom K.

Tom you're such a gentleman, and that is perhaps why we all love you. You put us all to shame. I repent.

I wonder if there will be reference to James Dean's Porsche somehow incorporated into the design? I'm curious to see how this one looks.

I wonder if there will be reference to James Dean's Porsche somehow incorporated into the design? I'm curious to see how this one looks.

Pre or post accident?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Pre or post accident?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde