The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

A Workhorse Esterbrook To Replace Osmiroid 75?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cyriacus

Cyriacus

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 16:25

My old standard for fountain pen calligraphy, a c.-1970s Osmiroid 75 has definitively given up the ghost with a crack to the plastic to the chintzy ink viewing area, and even with silicone gel, it is still globbing ink. I have read that Esterbrooks can take the old screw-in nibs assemblies from Osmiroid, and I'd like to acquire one to become my standard workhorse pen for calligraphy. I have large fingers and prefer fatter pens generally, so, even though I know Esterbrooks are thinner than many modern pens, I believe I have read that the Esterbrook J is the broadest, or are they all the same width nearby the nib where the pen is held?

I have seen Esterbrook Js on Ebay, but I am not looking for a fancy flex nib and have no means of knowing whether a surface scratch on a non-returnable area will be in a place that irritates my sweaty fingers while doing calligraphy; I am just looking for something of durable celluloid with a good ink sac, to be used daily for years (I work on editing Latin texts and often use calligraphy pens to help me "draw what I see" to interpret garbled/overwritten/damaged areas in manuscripts) preferably not much thinner than the Osmiroid 75, and which will take my Osmiroid calligraphy nibs. Is anyone willing to help out?

Edited by Cyriacus, 08 May 2018 - 16:34.

Sponsored Content

#2 carlos.q

carlos.q

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,386 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2018 - 19:05

Here you have a comparison shot between an Osmiroid 75 and an Esterbrook J. As you can see the Osmiroid is thinner.

fpn_1525806281__esternosmi.jpg

PS. The Osmiroid has a 1551 Esterbrook nib.

Edited by carlos.q, 08 May 2018 - 19:06.

#3 Cyriacus

Cyriacus

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 00:39

That looks like a very good size for my hand. Thank you for posting the image for comparison so I could see the two side-by-side.

#4 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:43

I would also recommend both the Dollar pen or the transitional J from Esterbrook.  They are just a bit shorter, but also just a bit thicker.  

#5 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,709 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2018 - 13:04

My old standard for fountain pen calligraphy, a c.-1970s Osmiroid 75 has definitively given up the ghost with a crack to the plastic to the chintzy ink viewing area, and even with silicone gel, it is still globbing ink. I have read that Esterbrooks can take the old screw-in nibs assemblies from Osmiroid, and I'd like to acquire one to become my standard workhorse pen for calligraphy. I have large fingers and prefer fatter pens generally, so, even though I know Esterbrooks are thinner than many modern pens, I believe I have read that the Esterbrook J is the broadest, or are they all the same width nearby the nib where the pen is held?

I have seen Esterbrook Js on Ebay, but I am not looking for a fancy flex nib and have no means of knowing whether a surface scratch on a non-returnable area will be in a place that irritates my sweaty fingers while doing calligraphy; I am just looking for something of durable celluloid with a good ink sac, to be used daily for years (I work on editing Latin texts and often use calligraphy pens to help me "draw what I see" to interpret garbled/overwritten/damaged areas in manuscripts) preferably not much thinner than the Osmiroid 75, and which will take my Osmiroid calligraphy nibs. Is anyone willing to help out?

Since your faithful Osmiroid already has a crack in the 'viewer' you might try cleaning the silicone grease, and applying a little clear nail polish on the crack, letting it dry, then applying again. I've repaired many a low-end pen that way. Good luck!

#6 Pentode

Pentode

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2018 - 15:52

The J or dollar pens should suit you nicely.
You might also have a look at the later, more modern Esterbrook M2 which featured side-bar fillers.
An Osmiroid 65 could also be a good choice.

Sponsored Content

|