The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pen Store Near Buffalo Ny?

stores pens help meetups

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Purphoros

Purphoros

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2018 - 00:56

Are there any pen stores near Buffalo NY?  I am really hoping to try a few pens but the only place I could find was an art supply store that carried overpriced Safari's and the uncomfortable Retro 51 fountain pens.  They also had some pens in the $1000+ range but I really don't have that kind of cash to burn.

I'm willing to travel across the border into Canada if that helps.  Maybe anything around two hours out one way?

Edited by Purphoros, 07 May 2018 - 00:57.

Sponsored Content

#2 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,979 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:53

I am aware of at least one place in Toronto. Sorry I don't recall the name right off. (I live in Utah, just recall seeing it)

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#3 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,747 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2018 - 03:38

Running Ute may be thinking of Wonder Pens, which IIRC is in sort of residential neighborhood east of the downtown area (I was just following the GPS when I got off the Queen's Way) -- so don't quote me on the location or the geography.... 

I made a special trip there a few summers ago when I had to go to Toronto for a symposium (hitting Friday evening rush hour traffic from Hamilton all the rest of the way in, and then having to back to the site hotel for the symposium, which was at the airport).  I had to circle the block a couple of times to find parking -- and to find the store itself (because it's actually around the side of the building it's in).  But I had a nice chat with the guy who was working there, and bought a bottle of the Noodler's Canadian exclusive ink "Blue Upon the Plains of Abraham" and some really silly paperclips which look like cats.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#4 Purphoros

Purphoros

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2018 - 19:09

Running Ute may be thinking of Wonder Pens, which IIRC is in sort of residential neighborhood east of the downtown area (I was just following the GPS when I got off the Queen's Way) -- so don't quote me on the location or the geography.... 

I made a special trip there a few summers ago when I had to go to Toronto for a symposium (hitting Friday evening rush hour traffic from Hamilton all the rest of the way in, and then having to back to the site hotel for the symposium, which was at the airport).  I had to circle the block a couple of times to find parking -- and to find the store itself (because it's actually around the side of the building it's in).  But I had a nice chat with the guy who was working there, and bought a bottle of the Noodler's Canadian exclusive ink "Blue Upon the Plains of Abraham" and some really silly paperclips which look like cats.

How do you like the Canadian exclusive ink?  I'm actually surprised they didn't do a brown for maple syrup or something.

#5 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 18,747 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2018 - 19:22

It's a nice blue grey, but I found it on the dry side.  One of these days I should do a side-by-side between it and Noodler's Henry Hudson Blue (which is exclusive to Fountain Pen Hospital in NYC.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#6 Purphoros

Purphoros

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2018 - 00:04

It's a nice blue grey, but I found it on the dry side.  One of these days I should do a side-by-side between it and Noodler's Henry Hudson Blue (which is exclusive to Fountain Pen Hospital in NYC.

I didn't realize they did so many exclusives.  It would be interesting to compare them.

#7 markofp

markofp

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2018 - 01:48

The place to go for fountain pens, ink and paper in Toronto is Laywine's, on Bellaire Street in Yorkville. They have the largest selection, but the prices are astronomical.  I have caught them selling above MSRP.  Nice store and good selection, but madonne, these prices.

#8 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 18,747 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2018 - 16:16

I considered going to Laywine's.  But when I contacted them they were really sort of snooty and wouldn't give specifics about what brands of pens and inks they carried (and their website was, IIRC, really pretty useless).  And since my time in Toronto was limited, I went to Wonder Pens instead.  And from what you said about Laywine's prices?  I'm glad I skipped them: their attitude's loss was Wonder Pen's gain...

#9 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,979 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:40

Correct Ruth, Wonder Pens was the one I was thinking of. Forgot all about Laywine's.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stores, pens, help, meetups

Sponsored Content

|