Ranga Model #3

tsdesai

I first became aware of the Ranga fountain pens from the Pen Habit YouTube channel. I have just started to know more about them through youtube after a friend triggered my interest in them a few months back. I decided to buy from Ranga Sir as apparently they made pens that are well appreciated in the fountain pen community. Luckily for me I found a group buy for their model 3 and 4. I decided to go for the same model that Mat had reviewed but with an extra-fine nib. It cost me Rs. 2300.

The pen arrived in about one month as estimated by Ranga Sir. I open the package in our lab where a few friends were present. Some people liked its look, some did not which obviously depends upon ones notion about how an expensive pen should look like (Some people may not find it expensive but we and my friends use a Rs. 10 pen for daily work.). The ebonite had a typical smell. I knew this smell from my childhood but I do not remember what was it of. It wasn't of a pen I am sure. The smell was gone after a few days.

Appearance and feel

The pen is more or less cylindrical with slight taper at the end of the barrel. The cap is not tapered. It has curved clip which works well but I do not much like its design. The ends are flat. The body overall is nicely polished. There are some machining marks but those don't matter much.

The screw-in cap fits very securely. The section is pleasantly long and the threads are smooth. The barrel also fit nicely on the section with lot of turns. The pen had come with Schmidt K5 converter. I learned that they are standard international size convertors which can be easily bought if one gets damaged. I had used eye-droppers and the plastic sac filler in Hero pens most of my school life. I did not like it when the ink leaked through the eyedroppers. Converters offer a far better filling mechanism.

Hold on the section feels much grippy and comfortable unlike plastic section of other pens. The pen is very light, at least much lighter than the Sheaffer 300 which I have. The pen becomes too long after posting so I do not post it while writing.

Photo: Appearance of Ranga #3

fpn_1525619601__img_20180421_170000.jpg

fpn_1525619628__img_20180421_170811.jpg

Photo: Size comparison - Sheaffer 300 with Ranga #3

fpn_1525619670__ranga3_vs_sheffer300.jpg

Writing

I had ordered the pen with Bock dual tone extra fine nib. I use the pen to write work related things I learn when at home. It is not possible for me to take it in lab because generally I work at different places and write few words now and then. A large pen with screw in cap is not very practical (I have tried it using there.).

At home, it works like magic though. The nib writes effortlessly with slight feedback which I like. I have tried using medium nib with Sheaffer 300 but I like the extra fine nib more.

While on vacation I had left the pen for two weeks without using. The pen wrote without any hard-start after that.

End Notes

This pen is a very good writer. I use it daily for writing down things I learn. After using ebonite, it has become my favourite pen material. I had bought a Platinum 3776 around the same time I received Ranga #3 and it lies unused. I am thinking of buying a couple of Ranga pens shortly and have received the quote for them. Fountain pens, I have learned would last a long time and I intend to use these few pens I buy for a long time to come.

Photo: Writing sample of Ranga #3 (extra-fine #6 bock nib) with Waterman Absolute Brown

fpn_1525619685__writing_sample.jpg

Edited by tsdesai

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sansenri

• Jamerelbe

• paradigm

• tsdesai

I first became aware of the Ranga fountain pens from the Pen Habit YouTube channel. I have just started to know more about them through youtube after a friend triggered my interest in them a few months back. I decided to buy from Ranga Sir as apparently they made pens that are well appreciated in the fountain pen community. Luckily for me I found a group buy for their model 3 and 4. I decided to go for the same model that Mat had reviewed but with an extra-fine nib. It cost me Rs. 2300.

The pen arrived in about one month as estimated by Ranga Sir. I open the package in our lab where a few friends were present. Some people liked its look, some did not which obviously depends upon ones notion about how an expensive pen should look like (Some people may not find it expensive but we and my friends use a Rs. 10 pen for daily work.). The ebonite had a typical smell. I knew this smell from my childhood but I do not remember what was it of. It wasn't of a pen I am sure. The smell was gone after a few days.

Appearance and feel

The pen is more or less cylindrical with slight taper at the end of the barrel. The cap is not tapered. It has curved clip which works well but I do not much like its design. The ends are flat. The body overall is nicely polished. There are some machining marks but those don't matter much.

The screw-in cap fits very securely. The section is pleasantly long and the threads are smooth. The barrel also fit nicely on the section with lot of turns. The pen had come with Schmidt K5 converter. I learned that they are standard international size convertors which can be easily bought if one gets damaged. I had used eye-droppers and the plastic sac filler in Hero pens most of my school life. I did not like it when the ink leaked through the eyedroppers. Converters offer a far better filling mechanism.

Hold on the section feels much grippy and comfortable unlike plastic section of other pens. The pen is very light, at least much lighter than the Sheaffer 300 which I have. The pen becomes too long after posting so I do not post it while writing.

fpn_1525619601__img_20180421_170000.jpg

fpn_1525619628__img_20180421_170811.jpg

Photo: Size comparison - Sheaffer 300 with Ranga #3

fpn_1525619670__ranga3_vs_sheffer300.jpg

Writing

I had ordered the pen with Bock dual tone extra fine nib. I use the pen to write work related things I learn when at home. It is not possible for me to take it in lab because generally I work at different places and write few words now and then. A large pen with screw in cap is not very practical (I have tried it using there.).

At home, it works like magic though. The nib writes effortlessly with slight feedback which I like. I have tried using medium nib with Sheaffer 300 but I like the extra fine nib more.

While on vacation I had left the pen for two weeks without using. The pen wrote without any hard-start after that.

End Notes

This pen is a very good writer. I use it daily for writing down things I learn. After using ebonite, it has become my favourite pen material. I had bought a Platinum 3776 around the same time I received Ranga #3 and it lies unused. I am thinking of buying a couple of Ranga pens shortly and have received the quote for them. Fountain pens, I have learned would last a long time and I intend to use these few pens I buy for a long time to come.

Photo: Writing sample of Ranga #3 (extra-fine #6 bock nib) with Waterman Absolute Brown

fpn_1525619685__writing_sample.jpg

Thanks a lot Sir for the detailed review. We are very glad that our pen has become your daily writer

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

I did not notice on the example of the letter any signs of springiness of the nib.

Is the nib stiff and does not respond to pressure?

Can you give an example of a letter with lines drawn without pressure and with strong pressure?

I did not notice on the example of the letter any signs of springiness of the nib.
Is the nib stiff and does not respond to pressure?
Can you give an example of a letter with lines drawn without pressure and with strong pressure?

I tried on to write with pressure with this pen after reading your comment. The nib is not flexible. You won't get any line variation from it. I do not do any flex writing so I am fine with it being stiff.

Thank you for asking.

I tried on to write with pressure with this pen after reading your comment. The nib is not flexible. You won't get any line variation from it. I do not do any flex writing so I am fine with it being stiff.

Thank you for asking.

Do you know what size a nib is?
Is it possible to replace it with a springy pen from JoWo or a semi-flex from FountainPenRevolution?

Is it possible to replace it with a springy pen from JoWo or a semi-flex from FountainPenRevolution?

It is Bock no 6 nib unit. So can be replaced with Bock titanium no 6 semi flex nib. Kanwrite also has same housing as Bock no 6 and they make steel and gold nibs with flex mods on request. I don't think JoWo can be used unless another section with JoWo threading is obtained from Ranga. Mr. Kandan can supply additional section with JoWo threading on request at additional cost.

At the time you place an order (unless it's part of a group buy, in which case the rules of the group buy apply), you can ask for one of a few options:

(1) Manufactured with a JoWo nib assembly (allowing the pen to be used as a cartridge-converter pen OR eyedropper fill)

(2) Manufactured with a Bock nib assembly (allowing the pen to be used as a cartridge-converter pen OR eyedropper fill)

(3) Manufactured with a handmade ebonite feed with #6 / #35 nib (eyedropper fill only).

[i think they also used to use Schmidt nib units - not sure if that's still the case.]

My personal preference is for the German nib units, and to use a converter (the MASSIVE ink capacity of these pens as eyedroppers is too much for me) - but there's no question the ebonite feeds produce a much more generous flow.

The larger FPR flex nib will fit on option (3), but not the other two. JoWo and Bock nibs *are* interchangeable, but not identical in shape, so you may find the flow characteristics of a Bock nib are different if it's transplanted into a JoWo assembly (or vice versa). JoWo and Bock nibs will both work perfectly fine with the ebonite feed option, too - and you can heat set the feed to align its shape more closely to whatever nib you install.

(3) Manufactured with a handmade ebonite feed with #6 / #35 nib (eyedropper fill only).

My personal preference is for the German nib units, and to use a converter (the MASSIVE ink capacity of these pens as eyedroppers is too much for me) - but there's no question the ebonite feeds produce a much more generous flow.

I really like the option with ebonite feeder, but I want to be able to use cartridges.
It seems that Teri Moris in her pens has achieved this ..
I try to avoid refueling eyedroppers to avoid ink leakage in case of a blow or fall on the floor.
At home, I draw with technical pens (isographs), so there is no need for an eyedropper type at the desk either.

The larger FPR flex nib will fit on option (3), but not the other two.

I have the FPR #6 in my Triveni Jr. It is an amazing, juicy writer for regular writing (approximately Western Fine) with some flex although it's plastic feed limits the flex and will railroad quickly when pushing it. Based on what is written above, does this mean with the Ranga the #6 FBN could be on an Ebonite (and even juicier) feed for true flexing? That could be stout.

I really like the option with ebonite feeder, but I want to be able to use cartridges.
It seems that Teri Moris in her pens has achieved this ..
I try to avoid refueling eyedroppers to avoid ink leakage in case of a blow or fall on the floor.
At home, I draw with technical pens (isographs), so there is no need for an eyedropper type at the desk either.

Your reasoning sounds similar to mine: I like to change out inks often, which limits the appeal of eyedroppering - and the possibility of leaking and/or burping is greater with the ebonite feed / eyedropper option. Each to their own, though: some people love the juicyness of the ebonite feed, combined with the much larger ink capacity!

I have the FPR #6 in my Triveni Jr. It is an amazing, juicy writer for regular writing (approximately Western Fine) with some flex although it's plastic feed limits the flex and will railroad quickly when pushing it. Based on what is written above, does this mean with the Ranga the #6 FBN could be on an Ebonite (and even juicier) feed for true flexing? That could be stout.

I *think* the FPN flex nib would be juicier with an ebonite feed, but I haven't tried it - I've just remembered, though that my ASA Nauka has an ebonite feed and takes a #6 nib, so... maybe tomorrow!

My ranga is an 8c, an oversized eyedropper. I love the look and feel, but it's got issues with spitting ink in the cap so badly that I can't use it... It's a nice wet writer and isn't prone to burping in my hand, but want time I uncap it, I am greeted to a section covered in ink.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I bought a replacement Bock stainless steel XF nib from Vanness for my 4C which Mr. Kanden made according to my specs (wider grip, shorter length) and now that pen is one of my favorites.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

My ranga is an 8c, an oversized eyedropper. I love the look and feel, but it's got issues with spitting ink in the cap so badly that I can't use it... It's a nice wet writer and isn't prone to burping in my hand, but want time I uncap it, I am greeted to a section covered in ink.

Have you tried pushing the nib & feed farther into the section? it would seem that ink is somehow escaping into the cap and that means the assembly may not be tight enough... another thing to try might be changing the orientation a little bit, turning the assembly inside the section.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

• 1 year later...

I just bought a modele 3 one with the original Kanwrite nib with ebony feed and want now to replace only the nib with a #6 one (Jowo or Bock), has anyone tiried this option ? Thanks

sorry to tell you it's not such a good idea to buy a Ranga ED pen with a Kanwrite and then try to swap nib with something else.

First because if you ask Ranga when you order they will fit a Jowo or Bock nib in instead of a Kanwrite even when you are ordering ED (i.e. they will use only the nib and fit a matching ebonite feed to it, and it will cost you just a few dollars more...)

Secondly because unfortunately the Kanwrite nib is very thick, it is a size 6 so same size as Jowo or Bock, but much thicker. If you try to put a Jowo instead of it it will feel very loose or even fall out of the section...

Tested myself...

You can always try, because ebonite pens are never exactly the same (hand made).

I was discussing elsewhere that thicker nibs like a Jinhao may fit, but I never did try, essentially I don't really care to fit a stiff Jinhao in, at that point better to keep the Kanwrite...

By the way, though, enjoy the model 3, it's one of my favourite Rangas!

Edited by sansenri

actually, it's over a year ago, but since I had missed tsdesai's review, I thank you very much now for his nice report on his pen.

This is one of the Ranga pens I prefer and the simple reason is that it is the pen with the most simple design.

More elaborate designs can enhance the beauty of a pen but often there will be a drawback when design moves too far from ergonomic principles.

Striving to make a pen look cool when capped may end up in an uncomfortable pen once opened (step downs!)

This is the most obvious design, a basic uniform "stick", with an added cap on top. Might not be the most sexy design, but it's one of the most comfortable to hold! And as tsdesai says, ebonite is a lovely material to hold!

For the above reason, I have quite a few of these... both CC and ED and different ebonite colours, finishes and nibs.

For other readers of a thread on the Model 3, some photos to show the different finishes could be nice, there are so many variants in Ranga's range!

I'll post a few of mine, but it would also be nice to see a pic of YOUR model 3! thanks

Ranga 3 CC mottled green polished Jowo M steel nib

fpn_1567713052__ranga_3_010_-_3_ranga_3_

Ranga 3 CC premium ebonite pink-blue Jowo B steel nib clipless

fpn_1567713486__p1170075-3_ranga_3_blue-

Ranga 3 CC teal Bock Titanium nib

fpn_1567713840__p1180421-3_ranga_3_teal_

one more photo of this pen to further comment the design

although it looks as though it's a straight "stick" it's not... do you see those curves? yes, she's sexy too!

fpn_1567714302__p1180426-3_ranga_3_teal_

I trust I'm not cheating showing some 3Cs, it's essentially the same pen with rounded ends instead of flat top

Ranga 3C ED premium ebonite blue-white-green-orange Bock steel nib B

fpn_1567714690__p1150347-3_ranga_3c_ble-

Ranga 3C CC forest green Bock steel nib B (custom modified hourglass section, like on the 8B)

fpn_1567715001__p1140767-3.jpg

Ranga 3C CC orange-blue-green Jowo steel nib M

just a close up to show the colour, but look at that ebonite!

fpn_1567715293__p1110133-2_ranga_3c_oran

and I'm planning to get a model 3 in the new Ranga resins...

what are your model 3 like?

Edited by sansenri

I just bought a modele 3 one with the original Kanwrite nib with ebony feed and want now to replace only the nib with a #6 one (Jowo or Bock), has anyone tiried this option ? Thanks

Because both the pen and the feed are custom made, there *is* some variability from one pen to another, @Sansenri may be right, you can't be sure that a JoWo nib will fit in place of a Kanwrite. That said, I've done this successfully a couple of my Indian pens (a Ranga and an ASA) - so it can't hurt to try.

*Be warned*, though, that an enormous amount of friction builds up between the ebonite feed and the ebonite pen - it takes a *lot* of force to remove the feed, and I broke a few fins off mine.

One other thing to be aware of is that the curvature of the replacement nib may not be ideal for the feed. This can be relatively easily resolved, though, as ebonite feeds can be 'heat set' to match the new nib (see the Youtube clip by Kevin from Fountain Pen Revolution, who sells spares! -

). If you're removing the feed from the pen, though, I'd recommend immersing it in hot water for a minute or two, then pressing firmly against the underside of the nib - then *maybe* repeating Kevin's nib-and-feed-in-pen technique for good measure.

@Jamerelbe where the nibs you swapped out Kanwrites?

What I found was that my Kanwrite was considerably thicker than any other nib I had in the house and I tried Bock, Jowo, Delta Omas, Conklin, FC, and probably others. They would all practically fall out of the section or in any case fit too loose...

I also did try other feeds, I had several other Ranga feeds around but they were all exactly identical to each other (not bad being hand made...)

I don't have any penBBS feeds to try (are they plastic?) and in any case I don't want to give up having an ebonite feed in there, it's the main scope of buying an ED Ranga!

Fortunately all my other Ranga EDs have Bock nibs.

I've just bought an Arcora gold nib that I want to try in (not here yet...)