Platinum Desk Pens Questions

C-InPenmanship

Does anyone know if the Platinum double desk stand has the special design like the top of the Plaisir where it doesn't dry out when left alone a while? Any help is appreciated.

Edited by C-InPenmanship

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• AmandaW

• Honeybadgers

• XYZZY

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you look on Platinum's web site, only the DPQ-700A range of desk pens is shown to share a sealing mechanism similar to that for the Preppy and Plaisir pens, designed to prevent ink from drying out in 12 months and longer, and the only desk pen stand listed as compatible is the DPD-1200G which only has a single 'tulip' holder.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

If you look on Platinum's web site, only the DPQ-700A range of desk pens is shown to share a sealing mechanism similar to that for the Preppy and Plaisir pens, designed to prevent ink from drying out in 12 months and longer, and the only desk pen stand listed as compatible is the DPD-1200G which only has a single 'tulip' holder.

Thanks so much for mentioning that! I just received a Platinum DP-1000AN with EF nib and was about to order "a stand". It never occurred to me that there might be different models that needed different stands.

No worries. Actually, DPQ-700A is the only model that seem to require a different stand from the rest of Platinum's desk pen models, because it is the only one that is marketed with the selling point of not drying out in over 12 months (as with the Preppy and Plaisir pens).

I thought about ordering stands for the desk pens, but I think they're a little more expensive than I care to pay for them, especially after I factor in international shipping from Japan since I was going to order through Rakuten Global Market. Given I'm only intending to use the desk pens for ink testing/reviews, and flush them out within a day of inking them (if not sooner), a desk pen stand would only offer me a little bit of convenience over using the caps supplied with the pens themselves.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I have the standard holder (same design as the double) and I can confirm it does not have a slip/seal mechanism. That said, I keep that pen inked at all times and only have to fill it about twice a year and it NEVER fails to start.

this page shows all the stands platinum makes and which pens they're compatible with

http://www.platinum-pen.co.jp/products/pendesk/ependesk1.html

Honestly, none of my desk pens really have issues. I see my esterbrook desk pen that I leave at the station start to get dry after about two months, but my sheaffer snorkel desk pen has yet to need inking again and it's been six months.

Dill, the only reason I'd recommend the desk pen is for the EF model's nib. it's an amazing nib with the special carbon ink feed for drawing. But the plastic itself is kinda cheap. The bases are nicer than the pen, but if you fancy a desk pen, go vintage. fancy sheaffer snorkels with inlaid and triumph nibs, esterbrooks, all sorts of amazing desk pens are out there and NOBODY wants them, so they go for absolute freaking peanuts. I spent $25, shipped, on a sheaffer triumph 14k lifetime with a snorkel filler and gorgeous black glass base, in like-new working condition, in its original box from the jeweler's it was purchased from.

I'm still on the hunt for a desk stand for my mont blanc 149 that isn't ludicrously overpriced.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

The DPQ-700A's nib is essentially a gold-plated version of the EF nib in the Preppy 0.2 model. The section on the DPQ-700A is interchangeable with the section on a Preppy, and their respective pen caps are also interchangeable.

I didn't know this when I ordered the pen. I was merely ordering a variety of Japanese desk pens with EF/F nibs on Rakuten Global Market, and the DPQ-700A was the cheapest Platinum model available. I also bought two of the DP-1000AN desk pens with different nib widths. (Interestingly, Platinum's product page in English for its desk pens show the available nib widths for that model as EF and M, but I bought a red pen with an EF nib and a black pen with a F nib; the M nib was not offered as an option.)

I don't really intend to do any of my 'normal' writing with any desk pen; I bought this lot as test equipment with which to perform ink reviews, so that I don't have to (flush, clean, dry, and use) any of my regular/better pens for testing inks per se. I also figured that the desk pens are proper fountain pens but unlikely to be the specific model of pen (or nib) that ink review readers will have in mind for using themselves for writing with the ink being reviewed, so we can all just focus on the ink and how it works in particular class of pens (i.e. fountain pens with 'European extra fine' or 'Japanese fine' nibs or narrower), without matching the specific model/unit any particular individual wants to see, and fill the gap between those with our (individual) best guess.

Maybe a glass pen for the job, dill?

Personally, I just use a lamy CP-1 and swap the nibs from EF, F, M, B, 1.1, 1.9mm when I do a review, that way I only have to put a little ink into one pen and the nibs just slide off and on.

That said, +1 on the damn noodlers polar inks being feather MONSTERS. BSB is as well, and wancher green is absolutely worthless.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Oh, I have a glass dip pen too, but the range of marks I'm personally able to get it to put down on paper is nothing like my writing with a 'typical' EF or F nib on a fountain pen, or even a (Zebra, Nikko, Tachikawa, etc.) G nib, mapping nib or #6 'square' calligraphy nib inserted into a compatible nib holder. I don't mind that a dip pen will not replicate or approximate the mechanism by which ink is transferred to the tip of the nib in a fountain pen, but I do want to show how an ink would appear/perform in terms of colour, feathering, ghosting, bleed-through and shading coming out of a metal pointed pen nib with a narrow tip.

The Platinum DP-1000AN desk pens do very well for that purpose, whether with the nib dipped only, or actually using a standard Platinum convertor to feed it. Of course, this also go for the other desk pens; ergonomics and how that may have some effect on one's handwriting aside, I've discovered that:

• the Pilot P-DPP-1S is essentially a Pilot 78G with a longer tapered barrel (with identical nibs and feeds);
  • the Platinum DPQ-700A is essentially a Preppy pen with a longer tapered barrel (and the sections are interchangeable on those models); and
  • the Sailor 11-0073 is essentially a Sailor HiAce Neo with a longer tapered barrel (and the sections are interchangeable on those models).

I don't particularly want to show how an ink performs with different nib widths (and, specifically, wider than 'Japanese fine'), as my interest in such is close to nil and my ink reviews should reflect my interests, but I do want to show how fine-nibbed pens writing with different degrees of 'wetness' will cause the ink marks to appear/perform (sometimes significantly) differently. That necessitates using separate pens.

I've found sailor sections to be ridiculously interchangable. I can put my 1911S section into everything from the skeleton junior to the fude torpedo pen to the fude de mannen massive tube pens.

Most desk pens are just a standard section with a long barrel. I actually think the platinum carbon desk pen is one of the only ones I've seen that wasn't. Not a lot of money in desk pens these days, makes sense to just re-use what you have.

Yeah, I can swap the sections between a Sailor 1911 Large (or 'Profit21') and a (full-sized) Professional Gear, but I just discovered that the section on my new Sailor koshu-Inden pen stands apart from the rest.

• 3 years later...

Platinum appear to have two stands - 1200E and 1200G - but their site isn't working enough to be able to find the compatibility with their desk pens.

I am beginning a small collection of desk pens (probably just Japanese for now) and was hoping to find a stand that would work with many pen models. That may be wishful thinking.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

7 hours ago, AmandaW said:

Platinum appear to have two stands - 1200E and 1200G - but their site isn't working enough to be able to find the compatibility with their desk pens.

Pages 59 and 60 of the Platinum Catalogue 2021-2022:

1260125433_Thumbnailsofpages59-60ofthePlatinumCatalogue2021-2022.jpg.59d8d3fcb15f87dfea14f68225952ead.jpg

(click to enlarge to a 2624×1845 image about 1MB in file size)

1 minute ago, A Smug Dill said:

Pages 59 and 60 of the Platinum Catalogue 2021-2022:

Thankyou! That's exactly what I needed. (And two stands... one for the current model and the other for the others. Sigh)

7 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

And two stands... one for the current model and the other for the others

Model DPD-1200G has the spring-loaded inner cap mechanism, and is designed to fit the gripping section on a Preppy, Plaisir, or DPQ-700A desk pen (and the caps the pens come fitted with already have the mechanism, too, of course). No other Platinum desk pen model has Slip & Seal as a feature.

Maybe that's why (I think) Platinum has discontinued all the other desk pen models. The 2021-2022 catalogue still listed the KDP-3000A, but I don't think it remains in production.

8 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

The 2021-2022 catalogue still listed the KDP-3000A, but I don't think it remains in production.

I have been searching today without finding one, so I believe you are correct.

• 1 month later...

The funnels on the Platinum desk stand (holder) do seal the pens, keeping them from drying out.  At least mine do!  I have gone days/weeks without using mine, and never had a problem with ink drying in the nibs.  For reference: black pen has a ultra extra fine nib; red has a extra fine nib.

Platinum Deskset.jpg

Edited by Michael W. DeWitt