What Is Your Favorite Pen? <$200

Purphoros

The Lamy 2000 is extremely solid and a sure investment. It writes wet, it doesn't dry out, it holds a lot of ink, it's durable. Most people who complain about it feel it's tough to hold on to for a long time and that's the main thing I would echo from owning one. I do not regret getting one though.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Purphoros

• Tseg

• Driften

• senzen

Top Posters In This Topic

In my (limited) experience I would agree - if youre looking for a piston filler and gold nib. Only the Custom 91 seems to be in the same ballpark for value, and you get something unique with the Makrolon and hooded nib of the L2K.

I think for mid-range ($100-$200) pens in general it really is tough to beat the Japanese big three (Sailor, Pilot, Platinum) on value.

I'll keep that in mind.

The Lamy 2000 is extremely solid and a sure investment. It writes wet, it doesn't dry out, it holds a lot of ink, it's durable. Most people who complain about it feel it's tough to hold on to for a long time and that's the main thing I would echo from owning one. I do not regret getting one though.

I found an older Lamy 2000 irritating to hold, because of bumps used to clutch the cap. One I bought earlier this year seems to hold the cap on differently, because this newer one doesn't seem to have the bumps.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I think for mid-range ($100-$200) pens in general it really is tough to beat the Japanese big three (Sailor, Pilot, Platinum) on value.

This is just my experience with these pens, but I found it hard to beat them for scratchy nibs. Everybody else praises them for smoothness, so I thought I must have gotten defective pens. I don't know what the --- but I avoid them now. It does go to show that YMMV.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

My all time favorite is the Vanishing Point.

My Namiki faceted VP is my daily workhorse, but sadly no longer available. it is stealth black and very sexy.

I have two Decimo's, one Red with a fine point and one blue with a Extra fine, that are excellent substitutes.

All are slimmer models of the VP, which I prefer.

My Namiki is inked with the Pilot cartridge in Black or Blue Black for convenience, and the Decimos have converters inked with Diamine Mediterranean Blue or Kon Peki as the mood strikes me.

I love the click and write, and click in the pocket.

Lamy 2000. Makrolon. Pilot Falcon. Pilot Custom Heritage 92.

I don't have that many, but of the ones I have, probably Lamy 2000. Just barely under $200. I know.

I don't have that many, but of the ones I have, probably Lamy 2000. Just barely under $200. I know.

On Amazon you can snag one for less than $150 so it's cheaper than most realize.

• 4 weeks later...

+1 for Lamy 2000 - piston filler, beautiful gold nib, ultra durable, and there are few pleasures so simple but so lovely as clicking on the cap. Ahhh. I have pens much more expensive and that I enjoy immensely, but for long writing sessions it's my go to.

Pilot custom 823 F - vacuum filler and these nibs are lovely. I'm pretty sure you can find them for under$200.

Hey everyone!

I'm looking to moving up in the pen world to a nicer pen but I don't really know what I want. Right now though, I crave some perspective on what the FPN community likes best.

If you would like to, please:

• Post a comment about your favorite sub $200 pen
  • Post a few reasons why you like the pen
  • Post what you have it inked with

Thanks!

The one that is in my hand. My favorite changes from day to day (sometimes hour to hour).

All of the reasons that I liked them enough to get them.

Same answer as above - it changes.

Not trying to be a smarty. That's the only way I can truthfully answer this question. I cannot pick one, and it really changes a lot. Variety is the spice!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

My favourite pens under $200 are vintage. I have many of those, and there are many from which to choose so I will not reiterate my own preferences now. My only new pen under US$200 is a Lamy 2000, already mentioned often enough and deservedly so.

X

I recently discovered the wonders of buying used/vintage pens on eBay. For less than $200 I can (and did) get a really nicely restored Montblanc 22 or 24 or 12, etc... they are from the 1960s, have a lot of the Lamy attributes but not such a wide barrels that makes your hand feel like it is getting pushed towards the nib. The 14K or 18K nibs are amazing writers and the pen is piston filled and very easy to disassemble and clean. It has an ebonite ink feed which provides great ink flow but maybe slightly more challenging to easily switch ink colors. When restored, they look and act like brand new. Super comfortable writer.

Edited by Tseg

While my Nakaya Piccolo will always be special, my

favorite pens are the Bexley Prometheus . I have six

and they are just very comfortable. I like fatter barrels.

I've swapped out the Bexley nibs in favor of JoWo

Broad CI's by FPnibs.

Ya, loads of vintage workhorses from mid 40s to mid 60s can be found for sub $200. I am very partial to two makers (and certain models), namely:

- Pelikan 100N & 400/N/NN
- Parker "51" Aerometric

Those are the current foundation of my collection and EDC setup. Simply, they are classic pens that just work. You can find those in all kinds of external condition but unless the nib/feed is busted or other things mechanically broken (like the filling mechanism) they usually work after a flush and a cleanup (even when found in the wild). Ok, sometimes it is a bit more work if they were left to pass the ages with a full tank but... the designs are solid and most of the time very much user friendly/self serviceable. Great fun.

The 100N & 400/N/NN tend to go way beyond that $200 marker especially if NOS/restored (depending on the color, nib & condition) but you can make great finds at times. For example, I just bought a mostly* collector grade Pelikan 400 Tortoise with an old style BB nib for 100€ + S&H (Private seller within EU). It made it to become one of my top tier EDC pens, such a dreamboat that one...

* All good aside from the cap trim having wear to the edge etc.

Parker "51" Aeros go for a bit cheaper and you can find even NOS pens (in more common nib sizes & colors) for well less than $200. Especially if you go outside ebay/established stores and are willing to take a bit more risk (but then again, that is part of the fun). Vacumatics... those too but I tend to avoid them because you need to service the pen with a new sac every five to ten or so years. Seems like a long time but it really isn't. Might go that route once I acquire the tools to do the servicing myself (have a couple of vacs waiting).

Other options... like people previously have stated, the Pelikan 140 warrants a mention too and it can be found more readily in the sub $200 price range (even in NOS condition). I have had a few (still have one that I intend to keep) and it makes for a great EDC pen. Small, light, holds a ton of ink, great nibs and it becomes a decent size when posted etc.

There are others too like Tseg wrote above. MB, Lamy etc. built durable pens that look the part and are designed for writing that can be had for anything between $50 - $200. Lamy 2000 is included in those too although I personally do not like it at all (usability/ergonomics wise). I greatly prefer it's older and slimmer sibling, Lamy 99 (the nibs on those can be quite something, smooth & precise).

Modern ones? Well... Pelikan M200 series pens are a very safe bet (and they can take nib units/nibs from vintage 400/N/NN!). Lamy 2000 also warrants a mention provided it suits your hand. Don't really know about others as I've found my pen nirvana with vintage post WWII pens.

Ok, one more thing... all of the pens mentioned are small (140 and the rest of the Pelikans) to medium sized (Parker 51, Lamy 2000) so if your preference runs towards larger pens you might want to look for other options.

...inks in my signature (updated): Lamy Turquoise, Montblanc BB, vintage Parker Quink, Pelikan 4001 BB & Turquoise (mostly Pelikan as I try to match the pens with the same brand inks). Also, mixes of the previous (usually two parts BB + one part Turquoise + one part H2O).

Pilot CH 912 with PO nib, paired with Noodler's Black. IIRC, it was ~$160.

Runner-up: Pilot Falcon with SEF nib, paired with Noodler's Lexington Gray.

These have my favorite Favorite nibs. I wish I could put them into Nakaya Piccolos.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

My favorite pens all cost $200 or less:

• Parker 51 aerometrics (2). Best all around.
  • Parker Duofold Junior. Cutest.
  • Parker Victory. Best nib.

i have both the Phileas and 159 and agree -- both are very good writers.

However, my Sailor 1911M is the best by far for a sub-$200 pen. I'm also considering a Platinum 3776.

Excellent recomendation for both Sailor and the Platinum Century 3776 which can be purchased for $80.00 shipped. Both are high quality gold nibbed pens. In addition a Pilot Custom 912 or 74 would also be a good choice. They take bigger convertors.

Edited by Claud

I must echo Mana's recommendations of vintage Pelikans. A 1930s, 40s, 50s, or 60s Pelikan is superb, superior to what has been recommended. My first Pelikan M400, a 1980s pen, was only $150. That pen and nib combination was so good, I have added 15 more, including 4 modern pens, which have not disappointed. But, the jewels are the vintage Pelikans, most of which cost less than $200, all of which I love. I hope you try one. You will see and feel what we mean.