The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

What Is Your Favorite Pen? <$200

pens list help favorites best pens

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 Purphoros

Purphoros

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2018 - 01:49

Hey everyone!

I'm looking to moving up in the pen world to a nicer pen but I don't really know what I want.  Right now though, I crave some perspective on what the FPN community likes best.

If you would like to, please:

• Post a comment about your favorite sub $200 pen
  • Post a few reasons why you like the pen
  • Post what you have it inked with

Thanks!

Sponsored Content

#2 Tseg

Tseg

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2018 - 01:58

My Pelikan M120 Iconic Blue is a favorite <$200 and I got at <$150 + a free $40 leather case thrown in from Cult Pens.  It is my first and only 'pocket pen' and it has an amazing writing steel nib.  It also has a piston filler with a very large ink reservoir.  On one hand it feels a bit plain and cheap, on the other hand it has a clean good look, fun & functional and likely will last decades or longer.  The smaller section is balanced by the lightness of the pen.  Kon-Peki Iroshizuku is perfect match for this pen.

27887188768_37055204aa_k.jpg

Edited by Tseg, 06 May 2018 - 02:12.

#3 kestrel

kestrel

School Eccentric

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 1,380 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2018 - 02:22

1929 Sheaffer's oversize Balance in black and pearl.  Currently loaded with Blakwa but it also gets filled with Levenger Smokey, Aurora black, or whatever suits my fancy.  It has a smooth, wet nib, and the balance is perfect for my hand.  I love the feel of 1920's celluloid.  It had issues when I bought it and restoring it was a lot of fun.  This one is almost never out of the rotation.

Dave Campbell
Science Teacher and Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

#4 Purphoros

Purphoros

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2018 - 02:24

My Pelikan M120 Iconic Blue is a favorite <$200 and I got at <$150 + a free $40 leather case thrown in from Cult Pens.  It is my first and only 'pocket pen' and it has an amazing writing steel nib.  It also has a piston filler with a very large ink reservoir.  On one hand it feels a bit plain and cheap, on the other hand it has a clean good look, fun & functional and likely will last decades or longer.  The smaller section is balanced by the lightness of the pen.  Kon-Peki Iroshizuku is perfect match for this pen.

27887188768_37055204aa_k.jpg

Wow! That ink does match perfectly.  I never considered Pelikan for a pen before.

#5 UDog

UDog

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 942 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2018 - 02:56

Pilot Custom 742 F, flawless writer.

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

#6 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,997 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2018 - 03:06

Parker Sonnet Blue Ice, fine stub.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#7 Arkanabar

Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2018 - 03:07

Right now, it's probably my blue marble Pelikan M200 in fine, that I bought for under $70 some twenty years ago.  It was my first Pen of a Lifetime, and I prefer only my M205 aqua (a gift from my wife, and also in fine) over it.  But that one is over $200.

#8 Charles Skinner

Charles Skinner

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2018 - 11:21

Waterman Phileas and Jinhao 159.  

#9 dogpoet

dogpoet

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,307 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 11:39

Rotring 700.

#10 alfredop

alfredop

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,125 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2018 - 12:44

Under $200 new from a store I think that the best pens are the Waterman Carene, or a Japanese one.

Alfredo

#11 Buzz_130

Buzz_130

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,511 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2018 - 13:20

This week, I have three pens loaded for work. All are under $200, and they write on command, deliver a perfect line of ink, and match my hand perfectly.

Parker 75 - love the weight and balance of this pen, and the looks of this pen are amazing. The nib has perfect feedback.

Parker "51" - the iconic workhorse of my collection. All write flawlessly, take any ink I throw at it, and have legendary balance.

Pilot Vanishing Point - heavy and thick are normally not my favorite. But for scratching quick notes in a meeting, the pen is perfect. A click and the pen is laying down ink. Click again and it's time to listen to the briefing.

Buzz

#12 Purphoros

Purphoros

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2018 - 13:28

Rotring 700.

Wait a second... oh my god they make a fountain pen version.

Edited by Purphoros, 06 May 2018 - 13:54.

#13 debasisg

debasisg

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2018 - 13:28

TWSBI -- any model.

They write buttery smooth.

The vac fillers as well as piston fillers have huge ink capacities. You write for a long time.

They look very cool - the demonstrator models.

You can use with TWSBI bottles. I have both and say goodbye to inky fingers.

Their customer service is exceptionally prompt.

They cost less than $100 (US).

#14 Purphoros

Purphoros

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2018 - 13:45

This week, I have three pens loaded for work. All are under $200, and they write on command, deliver a perfect line of ink, and match my hand perfectly.

Parker 75 - love the weight and balance of this pen, and the looks of this pen are amazing. The nib has perfect feedback.

Parker "51" - the iconic workhorse of my collection. All write flawlessly, take any ink I throw at it, and have legendary balance.

Pilot Vanishing Point - heavy and thick are normally not my favorite. But for scratching quick notes in a meeting, the pen is perfect. A click and the pen is laying down ink. Click again and it's time to listen to the briefing.

Buzz

I just did some looking, the Parker 75 has some gorgeous designs.  I have a Parker 45 that I actually bought on recommendation from several people on the FPN network.  I love the pen but I find the nib a touch scratchy, the feel and design of vintage Parker pens though is excellent.

#15 Purphoros

Purphoros

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2018 - 13:48

Pilot Custom 742 F, flawless writer.

Woah! There are an absolute ton of nib choices for that pen.  I also am a fan of a Japanese fine I have one on my Metropolitan and it write nicely.

#16 fullfederhalter

fullfederhalter

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2018 - 13:57

Parker 51 aerometric.  An iconic pen, exceptionally durable and reliable, with a cool vintage vibe.  There are still a lot out there in various colors and caps, and you can easily find many for well under $200.  I have not had any problems with a variety of inks, although I no longer use super saturated inks in any of my vintage pens.

#17 Mastiff

Mastiff

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2018 - 14:04

Lamy 2000 comes to mind.

Clean, unique and timeless design.

14k gold nib (which I think is rare in this price range)

Discreet- the nib is hooded so does not attract much unwanted attention but you can still enjoy the fp writing feed.

Wide range of nib choices.

#18 fpgreeks

fpgreeks

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2018 - 14:15

parker 45 flighter with an italic fine nib.

unique nib

flawless and expressive writer suitable for everyday use

inexpensive

bulletproof

easy nib swap

easy to clean

comfortable to hold (no threads)

easy to cap, uncap and post

inked with diamine asa blue 

another great and more conventional choice with a lot of benefits would be the pilot custom series

Edited by friedrichwild, 06 May 2018 - 14:17.

#19 Tasmith

Tasmith

Uff Da!

• Member - Gold

• 1,686 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2018 - 14:24

Pilot Decimo with a fine nib, lighter and thinner than the Vanishing point.  Always have mine with me.  Just click to use for quick notes.

Wing Sung 698 with an extra fine nib.  Inexpensive piston filler with a large ink capacity and writes great.  I'll sometime carry my 698 with a Pilot Plummix  .8mm stub just to add interest to my writing.  They and the Decimo are inked with R&K Salix as Salix will write and fully dry on cheap or very glossy paper regular inks tend to bead or smear on.

Pelikan M200 with an extra fine nib.  Works great with any ink I've ever put in it, on the smaller side but light and comfortable to use.  Inked with R&K Dokumentus for permanence.

#20 alexander_k

alexander_k

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,395 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 15:19

That's an easy question to answer, although the answer is not that specific: there are so many vintage pens from the 1960s and 1950s one can find, often for much less than US $ 100, including great stuff by Montblanc, like the 22x models. These have to be my absolute favourites because of their high quality, excellent performance and remarkably good condition. They're wonderful daily writers and a joy to use with all those great inks we're having by Diamine, R&K, KWZ and others. You have to be careful, though, and match the ink to the pen (not forgetting the paper). 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pens, list, help, favorites, best pens

Sponsored Content

|