M1000 Nib Decisions

Tseg

Let me start by saying after taking the picture below my 'issue' visually doesn't look as significant as it feels.

My M1000 nib:

What I like: After significant "home-made" adjustments this nib is an absolute beautiful juicy and smooth writer (I like juicy & smooth in a nib). It is by far the best nib I have for revealing the finest shading/sheen qualities of any ink. I think I may regret not having it if something happened to it. It is great for 'big' writing.

What I don't like: This nib feels like it is laying down a massive BB+ wide line when I write. After the fact, the line does not look quite that wide (but maybe?). I only feel comfortable using this pen to write big, and as such, I feel it is a shame such a high quality, expensive pen is being wasted in that I am limited in my use of it.

Several options I have been considering:

1. Buy an extra M1000 Fine (or EF?) nib and swap out as necessary. Cost $250-$300 Timing - 1 week
  2. Buy (my first) M800 in a Fine nib. Cost: ~$320 Timing - 1 week
  3. Send to a nibmeister and have my 'Pig Pen' nib go on a diet and skinny up to a Fine and risk the current wonderful characteristics of this nib disappearing. Cost - ? Timing - ? (I've not used a nibmeister before)
  4. Get over it

Here is a writing comparison between my M1000 (Medium) and M120 Iconic Blue (Fine), where the M120 line is on the thin side of my perfectly desired line (Tomoe River paper). What do you think?

41840739492_b47162f1d5_k.jpg

Edited by Tseg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tseg

• hari317

• Fatalpotato

• invisuu

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

go for option 1. Buy it from rolf thiel in germany, he has the best prices.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Bear in mind if you buy an M800 the nib will not have the same characteristics.....unfortunately.

go for option 1. Buy it from rolf thiel in germany, he has the best prices.

This is simply not true. Not only is it not true, missing-pen usually has some of the highest prices. I don't even have to spend a lot of time to realize La Couronne du Comte will be cheaper by a significant margin, especially after using coupon "BROWN10". 190 EUR vs 240 EUR is a nearly 25% difference in price.

Unless by "best prices" you meant best price for the seller, i.e. the highest?

Edited by invisuu

This is simply not true. Not only is it not true, missing-pen usually has some of the highest prices. I don't even have to spend a lot of time to realize La Couronne du Comte will be cheaper by a significant margin, especially after using coupon "BROWN10". 190 EUR vs 240 EUR is a nearly 25% difference in price.

Unless by "best prices" you meant best price for the seller, i.e. the highest?

Hi, no affiliation with Rolf thiel. Why such a combative tone?

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Pelikan-single-nib-M-1000-M1000/162016214111?epid=688657033&hash=item25b8eb3c5f:g:TYsAAOSwv1RUZz3q

Around 240usd shipped. Around 201 euros.

Pls post a link of the other source you mention, It will be helpful.

I am always looking for good sources and am happy to learn something new everyday.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Pelikan pens uk also have quite good prices, not sure how they compare though and if you are buying from the US you have to factor in duty.

That's without VAT. I'll compare prices without VAT of all vendors then.

Not combative tone, but I don't like people spreading misinformation or giving advice when clearly they lack the proper information to give advice. Sorry, this is not against you personally, but just in general.

Missing-pen:

~201EUR

Appelboom:

~160EUR with code FRIEND

La Couronne du Comte:

~155EUR with code BROWN10

All prices shipped.

If I had to pick, I'd pay the extra couple of EUR to go with Appelboom - they seem to be a lot faster than LCdC, but I have first hand experience with both vendors and I would happily recommend both. That's a 25% difference in price.

Edited by invisuu

That's without VAT. I'll compare prices without VAT of all vendors then.

Not combative tone, but I don't like people spreading misinformation or giving advice when clearly they lack the proper information to give advice. Sorry, this is not against you personally, but just in general.

Missing-pen:

~201EUR

Appelboom:

~158EUR with code FRIEND

La Couronne du Comte:

~155EUR with code BROWN10

If I had to pick, I'd pay the extra couple of EUR to go with Appelboom - they seem to be a lot faster than LCdC, but I have first hand experience with both vendors and I would happily recommend both. That's a 25% difference in price.

I bow to your superior knowledge in this matter. I have bought from Rolf several times but never from these two parties. But I will. How does one discover these discount codes? Does it come in a newsletter or is that open on the website?

SBREBrown, one of the biggest youtubers of this community, has these codes on his website.

EDIT: reading back, you're right. My tone was inappropriate. Sorry.

Edited by invisuu

Perhaps I am not keeping up with the times of video reviews. I confess I dont watch YouTube reviews. I prefer written content for pens. But thanks for sharing these codes, it will benefit some readers at least.

Had the same issue with my M1000, for around $40 Mike Masuyama made mine write perfectly for my taste. I now love to write with it!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I had the some problem and bought an EF nib to substitute the M nib. In the end it was not a great idea, the EF writes a little bit thinner, but it is still too large. Maybe your best bet would be to follow the nib meister route (but I have not tried myself this alternative).

Alfredo

My recommendation in order of cheapness and effectiveness is #4 but try more inks then #3.

A new nib can always be had later and an M800 is a different though delightful, beast.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Sending the pen to a nibmeister would be the less money then a new nib or m800. I happen to like the m800 model but it's more of a hard nib.

​The cheapest answer is to get used to it. You may come to really enjoy a wider line with more shading. I know over the last year I went from liking F's to more of a B width. You might also try writing with a lighter hand. The m1000 is said to be really soft and you might be bearing down more then you realize. I just don't have much experience with the M1000, after finding the MB 149 to be a bit bigger then I like to use much I did not go above the M800 in Pelikan.

If you have the money, go for option #2. In that way you'll have another pen, and M800 is an amazing pen, in your collection

What I don't like: This nib feels like it is laying down a massive BB+ wide line when I write. After the fact, the line does not look quite that wide (but maybe?). I only feel comfortable using this pen to write big, and as such, I feel it is a shame such a high quality, expensive pen is being wasted in that I am limited in my use of it.

That writing example is actually not too bad for an M1000 ... from the small sample size I own (EF and F) they run much wider than anything else with the same designation. Heck most normal people would call me EF a very bold Medium.

Love the spring of the nib though. Very different beast from the M800. Which I also love, because it feels perfect in the hand.

-k

Thanks for the info, I did not know cheaper nibs were out there to be had. It looks like a fairly split decision across the board, with leaning toward get used to it or get a nibmeister. Maybe I'll continue to just stay as is for a while more and if it starts to sit on the shelf more maybe I act then.

I literally have the same problem so bought another m1000 with the other finish with an ef nib which I quite like but is not as smooth as the medium nib. Ef nib wrote perfectly out of the box and actually is finer than most of my fine nibs. Now I'm considering to buy two more pens with f and b and I'll send them to a binder. Wish Pelikan had more standard finishes on this pen, the les prices are over the roof, and they're not that good looking Imho.

I had the some problem and bought an EF nib to substitute the M nib. In the end it was not a great idea, the EF writes a little bit thinner, but it is still too large. Maybe your best bet would be to follow the nib meister route (but I have not tried myself this alternative).

Alfredo

+1 here. I wanted a less broad option than M1000 M, so bought a F from Rolf. I can barely tell the difference.

It does give me some choice, though, and each nib is either in the original M1000 or in a Shawn Newton Prospector. Not among my every day writers, each gets trotted out now and then for a workout when the mood strikes.