The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

How Esterbrook (Dip) Nibs Were Made In The Early Years

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 May 2018 - 00:52

I've added a short addendum to an article I wrote on my web site describing how pens were made in the US in 1857, a year before Esterbrook opened his factory in Camden. In the original article, I point out why the processes are almost exactly the same in the US in 1857, and in a later description of how pens were made in Birmingham in 1890. The common connection is that both are set up and run by British pen makers. 

In the addendum I tie this directly to Esterbrook's pen factory in Camden. I have a map of their factory in 1885 and you can easily see where all of the various operations took place. I've also included a sales card used around 1920 that shows the various steps in making a pen which seems that at least the same steps are being used, even if some may be done by machines instead of hand-operated screw presses. 

I thought some of you may find it interesting. I'm sure that when Richard Esterbrook opened his factory in 1858, the pens were made exactly as described in the article I'm quoting from 1857. It seems that this process continued to be used at least through the 1890's, and most likely into the early 20th-century. 

If you're interested, 

Original post on how steel pens were made in 1857

Addendum tying the process to Esterbrook

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content

|