The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Non-Esterbrook Nibs For Dipless Pen Holders

esterbrook dipless pelikan

5 replies to this topic

#1 frotz

frotz

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 12:33

I'm quite fond of using an Esterbrook Dipless inkwell because it ensures that a nice pen will always be at my desk, so I don't have to fish around in my satchel for a fountain pen or remember where I put it.  Naturally, the pen holders these inkwells are designed for are designed to accept Esterbrook "renew point" nibs.  After I realized that my previous nib was so dry because of nib damage, I swapped it out for a new-in-box one (both 9550).  This new one writes wet enough, but is very scratchy.  Before I go beyond the paper bag method of polishing the nib, I was thinking of perhaps fitting the pen holder with a different make of nib... say, one from Pelikan.  My Pelikan nibs have always been glass-smooth out of the box.  Has anyone tried this?  What were your results?

Edited by frotz, 01 May 2018 - 12:54.

Sponsored Content

#2 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 May 2018 - 00:31

If you have a scratchy 9550, then you have a damaged pen. Can you return it? These should be quite smooth enough. 

There are some other brands of nibs that fit Esterbrook, but none as good of quality as Esterbrook. 

You could try and find one of the very earliest Dipless. These use a replaceable nib rather than the Renew Points nibs. You might be able to find a smoother gold nib that fits, but the pens for these are pretty rare. 

I'd just try another Renew Point. 

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

#3 frotz

frotz

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:24

I bought this spare 9550 on Ebay around five years ago.

#4 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:29

I'd go to Anderson Pens and see what nibs they have. Brian will stand behind his nibs. 

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

#5 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2018 - 17:29

Or you can swap the nib itself.  I have a generic Chinese nib in mine, and it is SMOOTH.

Caution, you need to be very careful removing the collar from the nib assembly, or you could destroy the collar.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#6 Tom Heath

Tom Heath

Collectors Item

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2018 - 18:42

It pays to experiment, worst scenario is you revert back to what works.

A good supply of  Estie nibs is wonderful to have   so many choices.

Swapping out of the cartridge  can be done  but do it with practice first

On the subject of trial and error   

I did remove a Mont Blanc 146 Nib  due to a broken tine, once it was apart  I ventured to install a vintage Carter Nib   being  long and pointy  it is working out quite well.

The MB  nib is out for re-tipping. 

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you .   Hug your loved ones today

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: esterbrook, dipless, pelikan

Sponsored Content

|