Just How Slippery Is The Chrome Section On The Studio?

steve50

Hey Lamy fans,

I've been eyeing the studio for a while but I can't decide on which finish. A quick search reveals that quite a few people are unhappy with how slippery the chrome section becomes after some use. But I don't like the rubbery section on brushed steel nor am I sure if I want to pay the premium coming with the palladium finish.

I normally switch between pens a lot when I'm writing, so I am leaning towards just getting the matt black one with chrome section even though people seem to not like it so much. Any word of advice?

Cheers.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Calabria

• steve50

• MHBru

• migo984

Top Posters In This Topic

It was not as bad as I worried it would be, but it may all depend on how oily your hands might get.

I feel like the metal sections are too slippery for me. The stainless version has a rubberized section so it's not slippery at all.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I find the chrome section almost unusable & I don’t have oily or sweaty hands. The slipperiness of the material is exacerbated by the shape, with nothing to stop fingers sliding forward. I had to sell my previous Studios, despite liking the look of the pens.

However I really wanted the Racing Green edition, so when we visited The Writing Desk a few weeks ago Martin kindly sold me a black section so I could swap the chrome for a black one. Works much better for me.

Verba volant, scripta manent

For this reason I just purchased an aion. It'll be here in a few days. I was also encouraged by an interview with the LAMY head of product design who said he gave up his 2000 for an aion as his dai!y carry.

Obvious advice but, if you can, visit a bricks and mortar store and try one out.

All hands are different, everyone selects the balance point of the pen differently, there are may ways to grip the pen.

What may be a problem for another might not be a problem for you and auto-suggestion may also play a role.

Test the pen in your hands.

Less is More - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

Less is a Bore - Robert Venturi

For this reason I just purchased an aion. It'll be here in a few days. I was also encouraged by an interview with the LAMY head of product design who said he gave up his 2000 for an aion as his dai!y carry.

I am very tempted by Aion too. But currently there's a really good deal for studios on Ebay Germany. But I'm sure I'll end up getting an Aion as well at some point, maybe used.

Thanks everyone for contributing to the discussion. I decided to just go ahead and try the matt black one... It'll be a shame if it's that bad. Luckily I live in the part of the world where it doesn't get so hot and I don't use the same pen for hours..due to my compulsion to keep changing pens every paragraph I write (!). I'll report back about this dreaded grip!

I'll offer a different opinion here... and it is that there can't be a slippery section for a fountain pen! It can be even a good "training tool".

Now, I'll explain: a fountain pen is not a ball pen. You just let the point glide over the paper without any force (unless you want to flex it and the nib allows, which I don't see being the case here). If your fingers slip down, it's a clear sign that you are pressing too much, so a metal section can be a good adition to your collection if only for training purposes.

Having said this, of course, there's no reason to "torture yourself" if you don't find value to the results, so "your mileage may vary".

I'll offer a different opinion here... and it is that there can't be a slippery section for a fountain pen! It can be even a good "training tool".

Now, I'll explain: a fountain pen is not a ball pen. You just let the point glide over the paper without any force (unless you want to flex it and the nib allows, which I don't see being the case here). If your fingers slip down, it's a clear sign that you are pressing too much, so a metal section can be a good adition to your collection if only for training purposes.

Having said this, of course, there's no reason to "torture yourself" if you don't find value to the results, so "your mileage may vary".

I’ve been writing and sketching with fountain pens for over 40 years. I don’t grip my pens too hard and certainly don’t press down hard either. I’ve had this slipping problem only with the Studio chrome section, plus a couple of other pens with metal sections, which I now avoid.

Verba volant, scripta manent

It's very personal and there might be a psychological / placebo thing about it, so it will be a real problem for some and not for others; I like these so much I got a second one. I do make sure my hands don't feel greasy and wipe down the section before using it, but it's not like the pen is going to slip away like a bar of soap. The black one EF is very smooth, the imperial blue F is exceptionally smooth, a real pleasure to use.

Other problems are that the finish seems fragile, my blue one bought used has a small chip, so not a pen you can keep in the company of others in a pouch (or slap the clip!), and I'm not sure I would post the cap, which I don't do anyway; some people had problems with the cap, but this has been resolved: there is a ring that can come loose.

With a little patience you can find these for a lot less than retail price, and it's a timeless design.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Where is that interview?

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Where is that interview?

I put the link in the "Interesting Links" pinned topic.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I put the link in the "Interesting Links" pinned topic.

D.ick

which of the links is it? I watched the interview with Lamy's CEO and some others, but none with the head of Lamy product development.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I couldnt find it again so I asked Goulet to send me the

Link. Ill post it when they do. You are correct tho. It is a different video than the one with the CEO. Stay tuned

Thanks for the link! I like the LAMY people.

Does Brian address the problem with the spinning cap on the Aion? Can we email Marco? It's just weird that we're all talking about this flaw, but there doesn't seem to be an answer.

I kind of understand that Lamy sees potential for growth in spinoff products - wouldn't be surprised to see a Lamy watch collaboration, or wallets etc.

I also finally understand why Lamy gold nibs and especially EF nibs are so difficult to come by - they probably don't have the employees to make large quantities of hand-finished nibs.

Pelikan is never mentioned, but Montblanc is. Interesting. Interesting also that in a way, Lamy is much more a boutique brand than the other two.

– Lin Yu-T'ang