The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Creation Of The Nib

nibs bock germany

4 replies to this topic

#1 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 19:37

I am sure that many of you have already read this, but I just read this 2000 article on a tour of the Bock nib factory in Germany.  I found it totally fascinating and thought I would share the link.

https://www.nibs.com...es/nibs-germany

Sponsored Content

#2 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• Member - Gold

• 2,797 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2018 - 14:14

Very interesting. They're basically following the same process I wrote about in my article on how they made steel pens in the 19th century. 

Cutting out the blanks

piercing

stamping

shaping

(the gold nibs are then tipped, steel nibs weren't)

grinding

slitting

finishing

Of course gold nibs don't require the softening, hardening and tempering steps, but it's basically the same. 

Thanks for sharing!

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

#3 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,302 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 18:23

Very interesting. They're basically following the same process I wrote about in my article on how they made steel pens in the 19th century. 

Cutting out the blanks

piercing

stamping

shaping

(the gold nibs are then tipped, steel nibs weren't)

grinding

slitting

finishing

Of course gold nibs don't require the softening, hardening and tempering steps, but it's basically the same. 

Thanks for sharing!

What a great article!  Thank YOU for sharing your article with me.  Wow!  And the other histories are fascinating!  Thank you. 

#4 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,955 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:26

Thank you for sharing the article. And Andrew thank you for your article.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#5 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,921 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:30

Andrew has it together; and one can tell how much work he's done....when one is enjoying one's self, work becomes as light as a feather. (What do you mean it's Saturday and I don't have to go to work! :gaah: :wallbash:....... :) )

Even if it is still 'work' to research, there is a self satisfaction, finding out new things in a field of interest.

I do have that Bock link, as part of my signature. The Bock factory is some 30 minute drive from where I live......if it wasn't for all the cars, 15 minutes.

Lamy is 15 minutes away, and I have done a newspaper won factory tour, where I saw the 5-6 foot tall, 4-5 yard wide, 10 yard long steel nib making machine. All the work out of sight.

The only thing one can see is the single worker changing thin diamond dusted rubber cutting disks.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 30 May 2018 - 09:55.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nibs, bock, germany

Sponsored Content

|