Is Obbb An Official Offering?

siamackz

I walked in to an official reseller in Mumbai yesterday, just looking around. I asked about how long it would take to get an OBBB nib on a 149 if I wanted. He showed me MBs official nib list and it saw that it started from EF and ended at OBB.

Is the triple broad only on special request?

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• nishantdr83

• siamackz

• niksch

Top Posters In This Topic

I walked in to an official reseller in Mumbai yesterday, just looking around. I asked about how long it would take to get an OBBB nib on a 149 if I wanted. He showed me MBs official nib list and it saw that it started from EF and ended at OBB.

~ siamackz:

OBBB nibs remain a viable option for the #9 nibs on 149s or on Skeleton pens.

My experience in both Beijing and Shanghai was that most staff members were unfamiliar with OBBB.

It required gentle persuasion and patient persistence to convince them to ask.

Once they asked the regional repair center, they learned that OBBB is an option for within-6-weeks free nib exchange on a 149 or a Skeleton with a #9 nib.

An OBBB nib may be purchased, as with other standard nibs, after the six weeks from initial purchase period.

Does that constitute a special request? In a sense, no, as OBBB is a regular option. In that it's frequently less familiar to Montblanc boutique staff, it becomes a sort of special request.

By all means consider an OBBB. There's always at least one, of three, OBBB inked on my writing desk. They're a versatile wtiter, very fun to use.

Tom K.

~ siamackz:

OBBB nibs remain a viable option for the #9 nibs on 149s or on Skeleton pens.

My experience in both Beijing and Shanghai was that most staff members were unfamiliar with OBBB.

It required gentle persuasion and patient persistence to convince them to ask.

Once they asked the regional repair center, they learned that OBBB is an option for within-6-weeks free nib exchange on a 149 or a Skeleton with a #9 nib.

An OBBB nib may be purchased, as with other standard nibs, after the six weeks from initial purchase period.

Does that constitute a special request? In a sense, no, as OBBB is a regular option. In that it's frequently less familiar to Montblanc boutique staff, it becomes a sort of special request.

By all means consider an OBBB. There's always at least one, of three, OBBB inked on my writing desk. They're a versatile wtiter, very fun to use.

Tom K.

Thanks for the reply, Tom! I collect vintages MBs but the only incentive I have for a modern one is so that it may have an OBBB nib.

From your post, I understood that the OBBB is only available on the #9 nibs. So, I would not be able to buy it with a 146. Correct?

If you want it on a 146 it would be a bespoke nib. Available as a standard swap only if the pen has a #9 nib as Tom stated.

It is worth it.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Thanks for the reply, Tom! I collect vintages MBs but the only incentive I have for a modern one is so that it may have an OBBB nib.

From your post, I understood that the OBBB is only available on the #9 nibs. So, I would not be able to buy it with a 146. Correct?

~ siamackz:

Yes, that's correct.

The only current way that a 146 might have an OBBB nib would be by ordering a Bespoke OBBB for a 146, which would be possible.

In the past, Montblanc offered OBBB nibs on smaller pens. For example, I write with an early 1960s 32 which has an OBBB.

At present, the larger #9 nibs are the only ones which may receive an OBBB nib.

That generally includes 149s, most Skeleton pens, the Hemingway, the Dumas, and the Year of the Golden Dragon 2000 pen.

For 146s, at present an OBB or a BB are the broadest options for standard nib exchanges.

The OBBBs are well worth seeking. I hope that something works out for you so that you might enjoy writing with an OBBB.

Tom K.

Thanks Zaddick and Tom! I shall gift this to myself if I manage to complete my PhD this summer 🤞

Edited by siamackz

I think they are only special orders now. I have a 1960s 149 with a BBB nib that I'll be shipping off to a friend for writing testing. The nib is huge.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

~ siamackz:

Yes, that's correct.

The only current way that a 146 might have an OBBB nib would be by ordering a Bespoke OBBB for a 146, which would be possible.

In the past, Montblanc offered OBBB nibs on smaller pens. For example, I write with an early 1960s 32 which has an OBBB.

At present, the larger #9 nibs are the only ones which may receive an OBBB nib.

That generally includes 149s, most Skeleton pens, the Hemingway, the Dumas, and the Year of the Golden Dragon 2000 pen.

For 146s, at present an OBB or a BB are the broadest options for standard nib exchanges.

The OBBBs are well worth seeking. I hope that something works out for you so that you might enjoy writing with an OBBB.

Tom K.

Dear Tom,

Will MB offer OBBB at standard nib exchange rates for Dumas ? Do you know of anyone who has done that ?

Dear Tom,

Will MB offer OBBB at standard nib exchange rates for Dumas ? Do you know of anyone who has done that ?

If the nib is available immediately from MontBlanc, it should be at the normal replacement price. I don't know what this would be for a barrel though,

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

I have reconciled with the fact that the official resellers, at least in Mumbai, know little about fountain pens after they insisted that the M nib was the best choice while I was specifically asking them how to get a 149 with a signature nib. At the end of it, I gave up cause the guy didn't seem to even know what I was asking for and wouldn't stop selling me the M nib even after i told him i had one.

Dear Tom,

~ nishant:

Yes and Yes.

An OBBB is a standard nib exchange for the Dumas at the standard rate.

I know two individuals, one in Japan and one in Switzerland, who have done that within the past two years.

In both cases it was handled as a normal paid nib exchange by their local Montblanc boutique.

Tom K.

If the nib is available immediately from MontBlanc, it should be at the normal replacement price. I don't know what this would be for a barrel though,

~ niksch:

What you've noted about a nib is what I've been told by Hamburg.

OBBB nibs are standard exchanges for pens which use #9 nibs.

That includes nibs for pen models like the Dumas where the engraved design is unlike the familiar 149 nib design.

While this remains true without conditions, because of the relative infrequency of OBBB nib exchange requests, it's not unusual to encounter boutique staff members who balk at an OBBB request, largely due to lack of experience.

Those desiring an OBBB nib exchange might best gently pursue the matter, asking any reluctant staff to contact higher authorities, who generally are aware of OBBB nibs.

There was a meeting last year in which it was explicitly decided that OBBB nibs would continue to be offered for any and all #9 nibs, upon request.

The memo explaining the decision reached at that meeting may not have reached every boutique or it may not have received adequate careful attention.

Tom K.

For #9 size nibs, don't think you even have to do the nib exchange. Some retailers would order the pen from MB pre-fitted with an OBBB nib.

~ niksch:

That includes nibs for pen models like the Dumas where the engraved design is unlike the familiar 149 nib design.

While this remains true without conditions, because of the relative infrequency of OBBB nib exchange requests, it's not unusual to encounter boutique staff members who balk at an OBBB request, largely due to lack of experience.

Those desiring an OBBB nib exchange might best gently pursue the matter, asking any reluctant staff to contact higher authorities, who generally are aware of OBBB nibs.

There was a meeting last year in which it was explicitly decided that OBBB nibs would continue to be offered for any and all #9 nibs, upon request.

The memo explaining the decision reached at that meeting may not have reached every boutique or it may not have received adequate careful attention.

Tom K.

Hi Tom,

Slightly off topic.

Quick question, you keep referring to your signature nib as the small signature. What exactly does this mean? Are there variants in the signature nib width or is it the size of the nib (#6/#9) that you are referring to?

Also, it would be awesome if you could share a side by side writing sample of the obbb and the signature nib.

Cheers.

Hi Tom,

Slightly off topic.

Quick question, you keep referring to your signature nib as the small signature. What exactly does this mean? Are there variants in the signature nib width or is it the size of the nib (#6/#9) that you are referring to?

Also, it would be awesome if you could share a side by side writing sample of the obbb and the signature nib.

Cheers.

~ KshitijShetty:

These terms are used in-house by Montblanc's Hamburg offices, including Mr. Axel Nier, the Bespoke Nib Team manager.

The OBBB is just that, and is not currently referred to as a Signature Nib, although past promotional literature did so.

Within Bespoke Nib options there are two possible size options, although a client could conceivably request another size.

The Signature is a large nib, with a surface of BBBBBB or in selected cases BBBBBBBB, if requested.

It writes well, laying down lovely, shaded strokes which are expressive due to their width.

Not a pen for margin notes in books, filling out forms or quick jottings during a meeting, a Signature Nib has substantial artistic value.

The Small Signature is a BBBB nib. It is suitable for daily writing, even working well as a note taking pen.

A Small Signature could be crafted for a #6 or a #9 nib, although on the larger nib it seems more appropriate.

The Small Signature with which I'm writing has two nib slits to facilitate steady ink flow.

It's a remarkable nib, without question the finest writer among my various Montblanc fountain pens.

Tom K.

Edited by Tom Kellie

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/329223-enjoying-montblanc-pens-broad-oblique-extra-fine-le-bespoke/page-67

~ KshitijShetty:

Please see post #1334 in the above thread for a handwriting comparison between the Bespoke Small Signature Nib and a Platinum 149 OBBB.

Thank you.

Tom K.

Edited by Tom Kellie

~ KshitijShetty:

These terms are used in-house by Montblanc's Hamburg offices, including Mr. Axel Nier, the Bespoke Nib Team manager.

The OBBB is just that, and is not currently referred to as a Signature Nib, although past promotional literature did so.

Within Bespoke Nib options there are two possible size options, although a client could conceivably request another size.

The Signature is a lage nib, with a surface of BBBBBB or in selected cases BBBBBBBB, if requested.

It writes well, laying down lovely, shaded strokes which are expressive due to their width.

Not a pen for margin notes in books, filling out forms or quick jottings during a meeting, a Signature Nib has substantial artistic value.

The Small Signature is a BBBB nib. It is suitable for daily writing, even working well as a note taking pen.

A Small Signature could be crafted for a #6 or a #9 nib, although on the larger nib it seems more appropriate.

The Small Signature with which I'm writing has two nib slits to facilitate steady ink flow.

It's a remarkable nib, without question the finest writer among my various Montblanc fountain pens.

Tom K.

Perfect! That clarifies things quite a bit. Thank you, Tom :)

I have an OBBB on the way. Will continue to dream about the signature nib!

Cheers!

Wow, I am now distracted by the signature nib

~ siamackz:

Writing with the Bespoke Small Signature Nib is an experience unlike any other.

Were I asked to give up all nibs but keep one, it would unhesitatingly be the Bespoke Small Signature.

Why?

For my writing needs, it has it all.

• Precision control

• Smoothness of the highest order

• Continuous ink flow — not too much and not too little

• Crispness for small strokes and curves

• Feather touch ink flow, which begins when the nib face touches a paper surface

After writing anything at all with the Bespoke Small Signature, I find that my penmanship looks better than ever before.

I'm 100% sold on the value of a Bespoke Small Signature Nib. I'm pondering ordering a second such nib.

Tom K.

~ niksch:

Tom K.

Unfortunately, this was not the case with UNICEF Skeleton. MB in Hamburg refused to offer it in O3B. Hence, I had to go the other end of the spectrum with EF. Pics will follow sometime soon.