Wing Sung 618 - Piston Dissasembly And Barrel Cracking

I just tried to disassemble my solid black Wing Sung 618.

In the clear demonstrator version it's a very simple procedure - just unscrew the piston knob without unlocking the piston mechanism, the same way and the same direction like if I wanted to push the piston down before filling the pen. Like this:

IMG_1646.jpg

Of course I assumed that in the solid version it would be the same.

Nope - surprise! Apparently the piston mechanism in the solid version is reverse threaded and to unscrew it requires unscrewing it in the opposite direction than in the demonstrator.

Unfortunately, I learned it the hard way. When I tried to unscrew the piston in the solid black 618 the same way as in the demonstrator, cracks appeared on the barrel right away.

Has anyone had a similiar problem and noticed the reversed threading?

I'm likely to order a replacement for this pen and now I wonder which direction should I go if I want to unscrew the piston...

Edited by WJM

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WJM

• Mech-for-i

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

• Stefan-Ionut-Marius

Oh .. ammm ... I am not sure, OK might be I would go back and check. may be weekend when I got time off, back to you if I got any definite

Yes, it's unexpected to say the least. But I tried several times, trying to unscrew the piston the same dicretion as in the clear one does nothing but widening the cracks.

If you try, be very careful...

OK, I've got some time off yesterday ( actually because I had to go see my medical doctor, so day off ) and I did try the said procedure on my solid color 618s ( pink and black ), both of them actually had the piston mechanism left hand threaded ( or reverse threaded as some might term that ). which kind of made sense to me. cause in this configuration, when filling ink and pushing the piston all the way down the barrel, it would not accidentally turn and had the mechanism screwed off, and when one retract the piston back to filled position, one would feel the piston stop and then engage the click lock. Unlikely to further twist and disengage the mechanism from the barrel. In fact I find the best way to remove the mechanism to be keeping the piston locked and hold the piston knob,slightly pushing it against the barrel side to keep the lock engaged, then with the other hand turn the barrel instead. I do not own any demonstrator version of this pen so cannot vouch if the same apply

Can anybody who's reading this thread tell me if this applies to the semi-transparent 618 versions too?

Because I was thinking of buying a second 618, the light blue sparkly demonstrator pen, and this reverse-threading thing sounds like something I wish to avoid. Actually I want to avoid it full stop.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Both of my Wing sung 618 in solid colors have developed cracks in the piston's screwing area . More than that, at first I thought the piston was somehow sealed in the pen's body , because the piston does not unscrews in any direction . But now I'm sure the piston was somehow screwd in wrong and forced into the pen body on the assembly line in the factory . In my black pen the cracks became noticeable and the piston screw just pop-up of the threads and slipped off the thread in the pen's body and in my red Wing Sung 618 , in the light can be seen the cracks in the pen body around the piston screw .

Edited by Stefan-Ionut-Marius
I love Fountain Pens, with hooded nib in the classic style, Parker 51/61 type .

Ionut - Marius

That's a bummer... I'm waiting for a new black 618 and now I wonder what to do with it if I want to unscrew the piston.

I thought the reason of cracking was that the piston was screwed in too tightly... I think it was it in mine, as the cracks appeared just as I was unscrewing the piston, as it turned out, in the wrong direction.

So my thought was too disassemble the pen and screw it back in trying too avoid the issues of too tight screw, any misthreading, perhaps put some silicone grease on it... But first I'd have to unscrew the piston without destroying the pen and that seems like the hardest part.

I posted about how mine had a crack before too. But I contacted the ebay seller asking if he sold a replacement barrel (instead of full pen), and he sent me a barrel free of charge. I was not expecting this, but it's was great customer service.

The new barrel seems to be holding up too for the short time I've had it. No complaints about buying from the seller again, not sure if I can advertise his ebay name or not though on here.

This is my first experience with chinese ebay sellers of fountain pens, if they are all like this, I don't see any issues dealing with them outside the long wait time for shipping but that's out of their control so I don't blame them.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had my 618 not long ago but it already has a problem, not a barrel cracking issue but a different one.

So far not liking the build quality on these pens..

Can anybody who's reading this thread tell me if this applies to the semi-transparent 618 versions too?

Because I was thinking of buying a second 618, the light blue sparkly demonstrator pen, and this reverse-threading thing sounds like something I wish to avoid. Actually I want to avoid it full stop.

I have a semi transparent blue one and the piston is threaded just the way the demonstrator version's is. In fact I unscrewed it from the pen body by accident when I tried to just move the piston forward so I could fill the pen, not having found any information about the locking of the cap. When it came out instead of moving the piston mechanism I googled it and found what had happened...

I like the pen, although I find the locking mechanism slightly flimsy, and I don't think I'll buy any more of these. It's nice enough but it does not really work for me. Especially because the semi-transparency seems not to apply under artificial lighting and I can't really see even the ink in the ink window.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I have a semi transparent blue one and the piston is threaded just the way the demonstrator version's is. In fact I unscrewed it from the pen body by accident when I tried to just move the piston forward so I could fill the pen, not having found any information about the locking of the cap. When it came out instead of moving the piston mechanism I googled it and found what had happened...

I like the pen, although I find the locking mechanism slightly flimsy, and I don't think I'll buy any more of these. It's nice enough but it does not really work for me. Especially because the semi-transparency seems not to apply under artificial lighting and I can't really see even the ink in the ink window.

Thank you for the confirmation! : )

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

I got my new solid black 618 and fortunately I managed to disassemble it without any damage. As in the previous one, the piston mechanism unscrews in the opposite direction than in the demonstrator version.