Piston Montblanc 144 Green Striated

fountainpen51

Hello, just arrived home, it was from a person who had it stored for at least 20 years. I loaded it with water, cleaned it and everything was perfect, I left it to soak to moisturize the cork, but today when I was going to load the ink when I lowered the piston, the ink no longer rose, that circular piece remained in the middle (cork?) And If I can not get that circle to the bottom, the rotating lid does not close. I imagine that a person not used to this type of repair should not get in the way, so:
Can this be just broken cork or something else?
What can this type of repair cost approximately?

post-139002-0-00719500-1524948701_thumb.jpg

Edited by fountainpen51

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpen51

• siamackz

• CS388

• farmdogfan

I'd guess that after 20 years of standing, the cork (having expanded with the moisture) has got itself wedged in the barrel?

It may shrink back down and become usable - but, really, the pen should be taken apart and the cork replaced, along with a lubrication and service.

I'm all for people doing repairs on their own pens - but, this is a valuable piece and (unless you have the experience and tools) it may be best to put it in the hands of an experienced repair person.

Whatever you do, don't force it, to try and make it move!

Your pictures seem to show the cork seal in two different places? Or is that a trick of the light?

All that said: Congratulations. It's a wonderful pen and highly sought after.

It's well worth spending some money on a proper repair.

Good luck.

(I have to add that what I have said is all guesswork, based on your pictures and description)

Is the entire piston rod stuck or is that piece of cork just handmging stuck there whilethebpiston moves back and forth? If its the latter then you should be able to close the blind cap - remember these telescopic pistons can be confusing. I often struggle with the blind cap, it requires a little messing around.

If its the cork that has just popped out then it means that the nut came loose.

Either way, not a complicated restoration. Francis G is my favourite restorer, if youre looking for someone.

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

I can say that the cork is stuck in the nearest part of the section as seen, then there is another circular piece in the middle that moves loose "halfway", because when I turn the piston there are times that it is attached to the piston and moves next to the piston. If I can not hook that circular piece with the piston rod, the lid can not be closed even if it is completely removed.

Any idea how much a repair like that could be worth?

I can say that the cork is stuck in the nearest part of the section as seen, then there is another circular piece in the middle that moves loose "halfway", because when I turn the piston there are times that it is attached to the piston and moves next to the piston. If I can not hook that circular piece with the piston rod, the lid can not be closed even if it is completely removed.

Any idea how much a repair like that could be worth?

Tough to say without knowing exactly whats wrong. I suggest you identify a restorer and send it to them. Removing the section on these celluloids to peep in is tricky and not worth doing unless you are interested in learning restoration (even then, this is not a starter pen).

I send my Pens to Fountainbel (member here) in Europe. I am sure someone can suggest a US based restorer or two.

• 3 weeks later...
Update: It has been sent to Fountainbel, it has arrived as new.

From here I thank everyone for the help and Francis, thanks again for the excellent work, It's a pleasure to have known you a little more closely.

Edited by fountainpen51

Update: It has been sent to Fountainbel, it has arrived as new.
From here I thank everyone for the help and Francis, thanks again for the excellent work, It's a pleasure to have known you a little more closely.

Yup, he's great! Enjoy your fantastic pen!

Pic

Is that MB Turquoise ink?

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

Is that MB Turquoise ink?

Is Diamine Steel Blue in Tomoe River, change the tone a bit depending on the paper I've used, I've noticed.